Benefitfocus "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Benefitfocus Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 14, 2019

3.3
Benefitfocus President and CEO Ray August
Ray August
Pros
  • "Amazing co workers, Innovative Product, Open to suggestions to make for a better work environment, takes feedback from customers to enhance our product(in 47 reviews)

• "Great company and great people to work with(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance isn't perfect but it is much better than in years past(in 49 reviews)

• "You have to work hard and that sometimes means long hours(in 48 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company who truly has it's associates and customers at the heart"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing co workers, Innovative Product, Open to suggestions to make for a better work environment, takes feedback from customers to enhance our product. Our associates truly want our customers to have an amazing experience.

Cons

As with all companies, change is hard. We have grown from a private to a public company in the time that I've been employed. This makes for a rough transition at times but we are truly on the other side of that transition. At the end of the day, this is a job. You have to work hard and that sometimes means long hours. Work/Life balance isn't perfect but it is much better than in years past.

Advice to Management

Be a learner not a knower. Acknowledge your employees when they do something well - we're all adults but everyone needs affirmation every now and then. Make it a point to connect with them to give them kudos - don't let the only time they hear from you be when you need something from them.

Benefitfocus2019-06-26

"My role and department, great! The rest needs work"

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

In my department, everything was too good to be true! Great manager, team, work-life balance.. 100% amazing, so nothing to complain about.

Cons

The company is always restructuring. Whether that means downsizing employees or replacing senior management (which looks bad to investors, lowering the stock prices).

Advice to Management

Most employees can work remote these days. If you don’t have 3 buildings on Daniel Island, along with multiple across the US to pay for, maybe you can keep employees rather than laying them off.

Benefitfocus2019-09-20

"Circling The Drain"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Managers do not micromanage ( probably because they don’t have time ).

Cons

Teammates used to be great and work together but everyone is stretched too think and very unhappy. All that “leadership” cares about is hitting their revenue numbers so they can get their bonus. They don’t seem to care the price their employees are paying for it. No work life balance anymore.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention and take care of your employees and the numbers will fall into place. Employees are the greatest asset to a company but Benefitfocus does not treat us this way but they wonder why people are leaving.

Benefitfocus2019-09-22

"Do not be brainwashed into thinking this is even an OK place to work."

Former Employee - Engineer in Charleston, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is moderate and you can gain experience. There is also free coffee although you can’t drink that at 3am when you’re still WORKING and back at 8am the next day.

Cons

Terrible training, very weird work environment, and not an encouraging or positive environment. Horrible work/life balance and almost a cult-like environment where you cannot succeed without failing, but not in a “fail fast” way. It’s absolutely not where you want to work.

Advice to Management

My advice is to senior management, try to hire people who are educated in the business and not simply managerial roles as the teams are not capable of training others, and the current managers are not capable of pulling their heads out of their arses quickly enough to realize they are all stuck in the mess together.

Benefitfocus2019-10-15
  5. "Good Company to work for"

Former Employee - Account Development Representative

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, great work, great benefits. Good work life balance

Cons

No Cons, great place to work

Benefitfocus2019-08-14

"Run don't walk"

Former Employee - Data Analyst

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

Free soda, coffee , fruit.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, no work life balance. Promotions are based on personality and who you are friends with, not talent. No time off during holidays. Not friendly towards single parents. Constant reorganizing.

Benefitfocus2019-06-15

"Not the best place, but not the worst place."

Current Employee - Consultant in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time (7 years)

Cons

It's hard to have a work/life balance.

Benefitfocus2019-04-17

"Great SC SaaS Company"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Greenville, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

* Great Work Life Balance (Datacenter Infrastructure) * Tons of PTO - Increases every 2 years * Awesome Teammates and Management * Annual Merit Increase * Growing Company - Rapid changes present learning opportunities with new tech for motivated individuals * 401k Match (3% if you contribute 6%) - Also some good growth funds if you don't go with the default selections * New CEO and Management revamping the... product line * Management appreciation, hard/smart/quality work does not go unnoticed

Cons

* Project focus sometimes does a 180 - You might be working on a project for 6 months only to find that work for nullified * Q4 Project Budgeting can feel extremely rushed if if a project doesn't get approved it can sit on the docket for years * Company becoming public changed the culture almost overnight * CEO and Founder leaving brought some pretty significant changes * High turnover in C level, VP, and... Director roles

Advice to Management

* Keep up the good work * API centric frameworks should be at top of mind * Apply more focus to Containerization and Microservice frameworks * More homegrown open-source solutions and Less High CapEX High OpEX turn-key solutions = Competitive Advantage * HSA integration with third party financial tools (mint/quick books) would be nice

Benefitfocus2019-02-02

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

A lot of room for career progression. Great atmosphere and friendly colleagues. Culture and values are great and well thought out to align with the majority of associates.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a little off at times.

Advice to Management

N/A

Benefitfocus2018-08-14
  10. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Ae in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

They provide for work life balance.

Cons

Change in Management is very dramatic.

Advice to Management

Due to change in management consistency has yet to be established.

Benefitfocus2018-05-10