Benefitfocus Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 15, 2021

2.9
Benefitfocus President and CEO Steve Swad
Steve Swad
Pros
  • "Great people, colleagues to work with(in 51 reviews)

• "Casual collaborative work environment(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Disorganized, poor leadership, no work life balance(in 53 reviews)

• "There are long hours, fire drills, and you're going to be asked to work harder(in 48 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Benefitfocus and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great SC SaaS Company

Feb 2, 2019 - Senior Network Engineer in Greenville, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Great Work Life Balance (Datacenter Infrastructure) * Tons of PTO - Increases every 2 years * Awesome Teammates and Management * Annual Merit Increase * Growing Company - Rapid changes present learning opportunities with new tech for motivated individuals * 401k Match (3% if you contribute 6%) - Also some good growth funds if you don't go with the default selections * New CEO and Management revamping the product line * Management appreciation, hard/smart/quality work does not go unnoticed

Cons

* Project focus sometimes does a 180 - You might be working on a project for 6 months only to find that work for nullified * Q4 Project Budgeting can feel extremely rushed if if a project doesn't get approved it can sit on the docket for years * Company becoming public changed the culture almost overnight * CEO and Founder leaving brought some pretty significant changes * High turnover in C level, VP, and Director roles

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Benefits Administration Company with a lot of potential and poor execution and leadership

Jan 15, 2021 - Implementation Consultant in Daniel Island, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, nice open office space, good benefits.

Cons

Disorganized, poor leadership, no work life balance.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

A great opportunity if you need a job and are just looking for a paycheck.

Jun 30, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can meet some great people here. Pay was not terrible if you fought for a decent wage. Latest CFO seems to have his head on straight and genuinely cares about employees.

Cons

-Culture based in lack of respect for the individual, cloak and dagger actions. - CEO surrounds himself with "yes" people, and is a micromanager. - Very few perks of the job. - No work/life balance for most employees. - General unhappiness and lack of enthusiasm radiate through the company. - little follow through from leadership... most things are just talk. - Reorgs on reorgs on top of more reorgs. Get ready for multiple managers in a year who can't help you progress. - Managers are not supported and overworked. They often oversee too many reports and do not have the time or capacity to even have monthly meetings with their direct reports. They are too busy running from leadership meeting to leadership meeting to even deal with their actual job of managing a team. - Meetings all day with no real outcomes, no meeting efficiency or standards. - This company promotes itself to candidates on old ideals that are no longer true. - Celebrating is not an aspect of this company.

12 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee

Two stars

Sep 27, 2020 - Professional Services
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed some of the people

Cons

Work life balance is lacking

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Benefitfocus is only good for seeing how not to run a company

Jun 12, 2020 - Team Lead in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

You learn how a company should not operate. If you're lucky they will send you to the Philippines That looks really good on a resume.

Cons

The big con that I felt was that you have to be a 'yes-man' to get ahead at Benefitfocus. I would speak up or provide feedback whenever my manager had a bad idea or something was poorly executed, but my manager would make up things about me to reprimand me for whenever we had a disagreement. I would try to present alternatives or new ideas and she would dismiss them as bad ideas because I would not be a 'yes-man.' It's funny that I took those same ideas that I presented to her to another company and they implemented all of them. My current company is profitable and Benefitfocus has had a goal of being profitable for the first time for years. There is some correlation there. The work-life balance was pretty bad. There was often too much work to complete in a 40 hour week. Pointless trainings and mandatory 'associate engagement' activities' were piled on to the already packed work week. I frequently had to stay late into the night or come in on the weekends to complete all my work. My manager was such a stickler about overtime, so I ended up working for free during any off hour time that I worked. Also, the pay at Benefitfocus is terrible. You can get a job at any restaurant downtown as a dishwasher and they will pay you about the same as the entry level positions at Benefitfocus, but Benefitfocus requires a degree. I was a team lead and I hire entry level analysts at my current job for more than I made as a team lead at Benefitfocus. FYI: As a team lead I was trained on how I should ask people to write good things on glassdoor. Most of the positive reviews are from managers, HR, or recruiters because it makes them look good. There is not much honest feedback above the 3 star rating.

14 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Don't waste your time

Jun 24, 2020 - Data Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

After reflecting, good entry level start to a career to put experience on a resume. Outside of that not much anymore.

Cons

All negative reviews share the same common themes because they are accurate. Leadership, pay, and work life balance are all crap. I can' imagine the struggle for the remaining employees after the most recent round of layoffs (17% of their workforce).

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

My role and department, great! The rest needs work

Sep 20, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

In my department, everything was too good to be true! Great manager, team, work-life balance.. 100% amazing, so nothing to complain about.

Cons

The company is always restructuring. Whether that means downsizing employees or replacing senior management (which looks bad to investors, lowering the stock prices).

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Former Employee

So disorganized, no direction

Dec 20, 2019 - Marketing in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice to work in Charleston, dogs, walking trail.

Cons

The company doesn’t live up to their core values, nor do they care about the well being of their employees. There is absolutely no direction in marketing with only one strong leader, just throwing ideas against the wall to see what may work for a short amount of time before there’s a fire drill to go the complete opposite direction. Not a cohesive team, no work life balance!! Don’t be fooled by flexible / work from home schedule - definitely not an option without feeling shamed.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Circling The Drain

Sep 22, 2019 - Solutions Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Managers do not micromanage ( probably because they don’t have time ).

Cons

Teammates used to be great and work together but everyone is stretched too think and very unhappy. All that “leadership” cares about is hitting their revenue numbers so they can get their bonus. They don’t seem to care the price their employees are paying for it. No work life balance anymore.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company to work for

Aug 14, 2019 - Account Development Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great work, great benefits. Good work life balance

Cons

No Cons, great place to work

Be the first to find this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 73 Reviews