Benefits Data Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Ginger Zielinskie

1. Featured Review

"Inspiring Workplace"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time

Pros

Everyone is passionate about the mission of the organization and works really hard, which is great motivation. The organization is growing - lots of opportunity to develop professionally.

Cons

No major cons - again, everyone works really hard, but it's a great job for anyone motivated and inspired by the mission.

Advice to Management

As the organization grows, please keep seeking ways to motivate and keep morale high. Provide plenty of updates to the entire staff.

Nov 3, 2016 – Hiring Manager

This is great to hear! We appreciate that you notice how passionate our staff is and the opportunities for growth as we expand. We will continue to work on employee morale and how we can go about ... More

"Mission Driven, Great Team"

Current Employee - President in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - President in Phila, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong Purpose - clear mission and focus; Awesome, smart & engaged team - at all levels; A clear focus on staff development; Demonstrated success in delivering positive social change - for individuals in need, the health & human services systems that serve them and the communities in which they live.

Cons

We are a social change organization that operates a contact center - extremely well. Contact center work can be regimented and challenging. We work hard to balance efficiency - in order to help as many people as possible - with staff autonomy and flexibility. This is an area that needs continual attention.

Advice to Management

continue to work to engage ALL staff; continue to be laser focused on our mission; continue to be disciplined in building a strong and inclusive team

"Benefits Outreach Specialist"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Writing this as fields cannot remain unfilled. What's shocking is, Glassdoor would not ask this of anyone who works at Benefits Data Trust.

Cons

Underpaid, must use break time to relieve yourself, promote a faux "fun" culture, costly health benefits, no bonuses, glaringly different treatment than salaried staff, feel like killing myself everyday.

Advice to Management

Stop the forced fun, pay us a living wage, stop condescending.

Nov 3, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We understand that you have concerns over the position and we hope that you would come forward to discuss specifics around your feedback. We are always looking to ... More

5. "Best Job Ever"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Basically everything, but to be specific, the people are wonderful, the administration is caring and thoughtful, you can be yourself and just relax in the work environment, good PTO, etc. etc. etc.

Cons

It's a call center. Most people start out as a BOS, calling clients. Any customer service job can be a little tricky.

Advice to Management

Keep it up =D

Nov 3, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts! We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your coworkers and relaxed atmosphere at Benefits Data Trust. If you have any additional feedback, please feel free ... More

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Contracts Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Contracts Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diversity is not just a word here. Employees are asked upon hire, about their preference of gender pronoun. Management strives to learn how to best manage a largely millennial workforce. The organization is growing so there is growth opportunity in all directions. This is a nonprofit that really cares about its mission and culture. All employees are vital to the Organization's mission and we all know it. The work/life balance here is fantastic and the work is meaningful. I would highly recommend working here.

Cons

The spousal health benefit is very pricey and unrealistic. However, the employee health insurance is very affordable and comprehensive. The benefits in general are very good.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and fostering this positive, diverse and productive culture

Nov 3, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for sharing! Diversity and Inclusion is an important part of our values as an organization. We want BDT to be a great place to work for all individuals. We are glad that you are feeling ... More

"Entry level Only"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will notice all of the 5 star reviews are for people in Managment positions. Thier jobs are good and well paid, not so for the BOS.

Cons

This job is good for entry level employees only. The BOS position is a call center job, that is all. There will be promises of upward mobility but they are rare to say the least. You will be scheduled to work 37.5 hours a week, so that you can not reach overtime, even though you will be expected to stay late in calls. One huge draw back of this job is the way they treat their staff like children, starting off everyday a female team leader will shout like a steam whistle " it's 9am!!" In what can only be described as a stern kindergarten teacher voice. This will be the start of many ways daily you are treated like a child. If you do not appreciate micro Managment this is not the position for you. The level of micro Managment is staggering, from every bathroom break being timed, call monitoring to a document system that will literally set you up to fail. If you appreciate independence in the workplace avoid this job. The pay for the work is low especially considering how hard the job actually is, this will become immediately frustrating once you realize how much upper Managment is allowing themselves to take as a salary, with bonuses, something you will never get. Something you will be told in training, " you have the hardest job in the company" and yet you will get the least. This is a not-for profit, Not a non-profit, there is a difference you will see it in the high expectations and low pay. Many BOS qualify for the benefits we are helping people apply for. If you just graduated from college and need a resume filler this IS a good postion.

"Benefits Data Trust offers a very rewarding professional experience"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits Data Trust was a remarkable place to work for a variety of reasons. They support and challenge their employees to grow professionally. The well-being of the individuals and families they serve is paramount. The staff supports one another while allowing and challenging employees to learn and grow independently. The management is attuned to the needs of their staff and their partners, and always aim to accommodate and help internal and external stakeholders alike - they also welcome and accept feedback from all staff. When challenges arose, the organization's philosophy was to own the challenge, seek solutions, learn from the experience, and move forward. Finally, the atmosphere is a combination of driven, warm, and fun, which makes for a very rewarding and engaging professional life.

Cons

There were no major cons of working with Benefits Data Trust.

"Fear Based"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work most of the time. Kind of rewarding as Social service work and very predictable almost every day of the week.

Cons

They use fear and boring to work at. Everything you do is a mistake and it is basically a call center.

Advice to Management

Remember different people like different things

10. "A great entry-level job"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thorough training, supportive management, great culture. The office is located right by the Comcast building, so the commute is easy from anywhere in the city. There are a lot of fun employee events like potlucks and occasional parties. Definitely room for advancement.

Cons

Smaller company, competitive promotions, low starting pay. Everyone starts in the call center. There's seems to be a disconnect between management and the rest of the company. You can't use your cell phone in the contact center. Breaks are timed and short, HR rules are really strict here. I know they're meant to protect people, but it ends up just being stifling.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the younger employees like children. The expectations you set really change the atmosphere. I think if you loosened up with the rules and gave everyone more freedom, productivity would be higher.

"One of the most well run non-profits"

Former Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time

Pros

-Accessible and responsive management
    -Great coworkers
    -Great location
    -Good benefits package
    -Company actually cares about you

Cons

-Emotionally draining work
    -Time is micromanaged