Benefits Data Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 3, 2018

3.2
Ginger Zielinskie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working at BDT has helped me grow more than any previous experience I've had" (in 3 reviews)

• "Great coworkers and work atmosphere" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "They preach room for advancement, but it is based on how much they like you rather than skills and experience" (in 4 reviews)

• "There will be promises of upward mobility but they are rare to say the least" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Csr"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time

Pros

Good company I love working for them

Cons

None good company I love working with you

Advice to Management

None good company

2. "Admin team"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great coworkers
    -Great mission
    - Good work life balance

Cons

I can't think of any :P

"A great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits data trust is an excellent environment for individuals that take feedback and ownership of their development/career. I was fortunate to grow and learn at BDT.

BDT has a great culture that does a great job of fostering individuality and innovation. The people working at BDT really care about each other and are doing their best to help the mission

Cons

Every organization that you will work for has issues that it needs to work on and fix. BDT at least listens and does its best to improve. As BDT grows, they should continue to slow down and not make decisions to quickly. Make sure to bring every one along!

Advice to Management

Keep the mission strong!

"Not Worth It, Honestly"

Former Employee - Bos in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Bos in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I would say is the benefits packet and how nice the office is.

Cons

I worked at BDT for about 9 months or so. I eagerly went into this opportunity, ecstatic, nonetheless because I was unemployed and needed a job but after interviewing and slightly seeing the environment, I was ready for a fresh start. Typically you start off in one campaign, which I did with a great team of folks , my TL was awesome ,really down to earth and personable ( she had a great balance). The class that I came in with were full of quick learners and we were often praised for that, after noticing that , they used to their advantage to get us to take on new roles. A friend from my new class and I were asked to move to another campaign , in which they claimed it would be a chance for professional development and could help with movement within the organization. I was very skeptical, very and wish I followed my gut. Prior to moving to their campaign, I heard how unstructured this particular campaign but heard it was a lighter load. While transitioning, so was the campaign, increasing their outreach letters, calls, etc. Once I made the move the environment was completely different , no one really spoke. A lot of pettiness and betrayal was going on and ALOT OF MICRO MANAGING. As the time went on the work load got crazy , we were taking damn near 30 calls a day, people were exhausted draining all of their break times and running over lunch. We felt so unappreciated and small and it was clear their only goal was to increase their numbers and reach their goal. I learned how much they dont care about their workers, it took lots of complaining for them to do things like bring in donuts, lunch and for us to be noticed for all the work we were doing ( of course this came after tons of people quit or got fired). The environment is chill but very childish full of grown people who dont know how to mind their business, are interested in stirring drama, or are dating one another. They dont respect your personal time and are penalized for taking longer than 3 minutes after calls to recouparate. The campaign I moved to is lead by the fakest human being I have ever met, she smiles in your face but will literally talk about you behind your back. The staff is super unprofessional, they weigh heavier on time management ( which they have a horrible policy that never works in your favor) more than the actual work that you do, they chose favorites for everything and are not realistic to the fact that their workers are human beings not robots. I would never work here, again! I wouldn't recommend it and in fact I was let go due to time management and I was so happy to finally have a peace of mind again! I dont regret leaving, I was looking for a way out anayways.

Advice to Management

Stop being so fake, you can help people without putting on a facade.

Treat your employees FAIRLY, stop bending the rules to meet some peoples needs and not others.

Stop weighing so heavy on time management, the phones come on at 9, if someone is clocked in at 8:50:05 why are they being penalized and being projected as a bad employee.

You guys are so worried about money, seriously consider reconstructing your whole organization or you are going to continue losing a lot of VALUABLE people.

Stop letting your TLs get away with everything, they are not held to the same standard at all.

"Toxic doesn’t even begin to describe this place."

Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The job was better when I first started, but they've changed. If you have a great TL, the job is better. I had several different ones in my tenure, and completely different experiences with each of them. The last one I had was the final nail in my patience for the place, and despite having several easily actionable feedback items for them, none of them were acted upon. I know, because I’ve kept in touch with friends from there. There are precisely 3 great TLs across all capaigns.

The pay is okay for a single person with minimal debt and who has roommates and a lower than average cost of living for the area.

Cons

They want you not to be human. I worked here for longer than I should have, and was excellent at the actual function of the job itself. My problem with it is how much abuse they expect BOS to take from the clients while maintaining a 100% neutral response. Now, I don’t mean a few curses from the client. I had clients go on racist, homophobic, sexist rants, and more. Management expected us to take it without even blinking. If you show any emotion, you’re told you’re being judgemental/inappropriate and get marked down that you need improvement. I’ve had extensive experience in other call centers, and none of them worked like that. I repeatedly went to management with both proactive ways to both improve the overall office and to help us do our job better that required nothing out of them except listening and being respected as a person, only to be ignored.

The staff often are miserable to each other, doing things they know will harm themselves or those around them. I can’t entirely blame them. The majority of BOS are on the same public benefits they help others apply for. Get any three staff together, they'll mostly talk about how much they hate the place and the things they do to cope. Every time I talk to friends who still work there, all I can think is how glad I am not to be there anymore.

Even beyond all those problems, they inflate their numbers. They pressure callers to apply with vague and incorrect information, and they get money based on the raw number of applications. They don’t care if someone’s already enrolled or ineligible. Just apply them anyway, let the caseworkers sort it out. They’re draining the resources of the already strained system by ineffectively using the limited resources. They don't take advantage of ways the workflow could be optimized, like using the most skilled workers for the tasks they're best suited for or encouraging people to apply with the most accurate information they can reasonably easily get. Like, if the wife handles the finances, she should be the one calling. If your niece handles your affairs, she should call in. But don't dare suggest it, or they think it's call avoidance. They waste so much money with frivolous activities, including last year a "fundraiser" that tried to pressure employees to donate on their paltry hourly wage. Really out of touch, when so many of us with families there are barely scraping by.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the BOS like robots, or stop pretending you care when you as a whole don't. Some individuals in management seem to care on the interpersonal level but despite repeated feedback, the caring never translates into changes, so it's nothing more than lip service.

"Be careful about accepting a BOS position."

Former Employee - Bos
    Former Employee - Bos

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People care about the mission and most of the staff is young. The space is beautiful and the views of the city are great. This organization is also a very LGBTQ friendly place to work. Your team leader generally does care about you and wants to see you succeed and team members are generally supportive and caring. You will meet some of the most amazing and passionate people in this office.

Cons

Before I started here over a year ago, I read the glassdoor reviews and took them with a grain of salt because I assumed the negative reviews were from jilted employees. Now that I have seen the other side, most of the negative reviews from BOS are valid. I look back on my time at BDT with fondess but I am thankful that I found something better suited for my professional needs.

As a BOS, you're going to be answering calls from clients, often in traumatic situations and applying them for public benefits. This is your main job function and its honestly emotionally exhausting and demoralizing most days. A part of being a BOS is being micromanaged constantly and management treats you like children. This job is not for the faint of heart, or for those who want experience that is not client service. BDT hires talented, idealistic individuals and then breaks down their spirits until they simply cannot do the job any longer.

Additionally, there is barely any room for growth and it is well known that management plays favorites. Often, they will interview a ton of BOS for an open position and then hire externally or go with an internal candidate who is not a BOS. On top of this, the pay is horrible and not competitive at all. The structure for raises is abysmal: you can get at most $1 raise a year and that is only if you're lucky. You can go above and beyond, have amazing calls, be on small teams and still only get a .50 raise. So you go from making $15/hour to $15.50, which just shows that your labor is not valued. If you have student loans and want to plan for you future, this job is not sustainable for you, unless you want to work multiple part-time jobs on top of this.

Also, from the start of my employment, I always got the feeling that the Admin side of the organization looked down on BOS. I was not alone in the feeling that there is an unequal balance of power in this organization.It's a shame that the cons outweigh the pros because BDT has the potential to be a great place to work, but the way the organization is structured makes it impossible for you to be a BOS and not feel the constrains of the position.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like children and treat them like the professionals that they are. Find a way to raise wages for BOS, who are the backbone of the company. There is no possible way to be a BOS for an extended period of time and have a steady financial future. Analyze your raise structure and realize that it is not enough to keep people in a job where you are tethered to a headset all day. BOS don't need TVs, parties, or pinatas to raise morale, they need more money and to be treated like professionals. Also take an objective look at how your team leaders are being treated by their management, it is absolutely unacceptable.

Most importantly, have better mental health resources for your BOS. They are often hearing traumatic events or dealing with angry clients and have no outlet or comprehensive training on how to deal with the emotional stress this job puts you through.

"Honest Review"

Current Employee - Bos in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Bos in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The BOS position is good in a few scenarios. It's a good position for those who just graduated or are still going to school. It's good for those who are looking for a career change and want some non profit and/or customer service experience. It's also good for those who are looking for a long term position but dont really care to make much money or move up career wise (like people who are just working to work).

Office is brand new and very cool. Great location. Young staff.

Cons

The pay. I mean c'mon. First 90 days you get $14/hr. After that you get $15hr. After a year you have the POTENTIAL of get UP TO a dollar raise...you can do everything right and not get that dollar because they're not willing to give that dollar raise out. Most people end up getting a .25 or .50 cent raise after a year and the best BOS get .75. BDT can't even give us a full 40 hour work week (37.5)

A promotion from BOS to a coordinator position really just means a lot more responsibilities for not that much pay (coordinator positions pay 38k). Many smart, hard working and capable BOS go out for these positions but they end up going with an external candidate OR someone else in the office who didn't even go out for that promotion!

BOS are micromanaged to the point where it seems like upper management thinks we're idiotic children. No internet access because of "data security" but everyone else in the office has access to the same info we do and they have internet. No phones at our desks and in designated areas. 30 min break and 45 min lunch. Basically anytime you do anything you have to set your status on your computer so everyone else knows what you're up to while people in other departments chill in the break room all the time.

They even audit some peoples instant messages to each out (which can lead to termination) when HR has their own scandalous drama going on...hypocrites

BDT continues to expand rather than focusing on the issues that the staff are voicing over and over again. Everyone in the contact center is miserable and we all find solice in that. It's been basically accepted that BDT will crash and burn soon enough because everyone wants to leave at this point. A cool office isn't enough to keep your staff.

Advice to Management

you can say there's transparency and then you can actually be transparent (those are 2 different things)

pay your staff better! there are BOS who are on Medicaid and food stamps which is really ironic because we help people apply for those benefits as part of our job.

Benefits Data Trust Response

Sep 19, 2017 – Talent and Culture Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback about BDT on Glassdoor.

We're glad that you appreciate the location and design of our new space. We work to provide our staff with a competitive compensation... More

"Good heart and strong model"

Current Employee - Manager (On the Administrative Side) in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager (On the Administrative Side) in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to other nonprofits, this place is honestly run really well. Obviously there are some comments here to the contrary, but anyone who has worked at two or more nonprofits in the social services sphere has expressed a pleasant surprise at how thoughtfully managed this place is.

I've worked at 7+ nonprofits in this field and this is the best one I've even been a part of.

The benefits are very good.

Cons

Growth in a time of government shrinkage is hard, but we are weathering it together with the state and other community-based organizations in our 7 states.

Advice to Management

We are a very progressive organization, but there's always room for growth in that arena... the more we can value our lower-ranking staff (financial and otherwise), the better.

"Benefits Outreach Specialist"

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time

Pros

Decent pay for an entry-level position, fun coworkers

Cons

Sitting all day, very rigid schedule/breaks

"Noble Mission, Disheartening Reality"

Current Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. BDT hires a diverse staff of passionate, intelligent people as BOS, mostly on the younger side. LGBTQ-inclusive workplace. Decent pay and benefits for a first job outside of college (or in my case, coming out of two years serving in AmeriCorps). Stable hours. Convenient location. *~*~ Hip Millennial Office *~*~*

As a BOS, you learn A LOT about the public benefits system. Helping clients navigate the system can be genuinely rewarding, and I’ve had some beautiful conversations I’ll never forget. Very eye-opening work.

Cons

The organization has been growing at an unsustainable rate over the past year, then this past week they laid off an alarming amount of admin workers, many of whom had been promoted from the BOS role. As a high-performing BOS with professional growth on my mind, this is disheartening, to say the least. We have been assured that BOS are safe, as our funding for direct service is secure, but the admin layoffs have been a giant blow to organizational morale and any hopes of professional growth.

In my view, the organization has cut corners in places that matter the most when it comes to directly serving our clients with competency and care. For example, training for new BOS was drastically shortened earlier in the year. New hires were pushed onto the phones too soon, making critical errors that stalled clients’ benefit applications. I can only imagine the sacrifices in quality that will occur in the near future due to the cutting of team leaders, quality specialists, and project coordinators.

I will echo what others have said here about the micro-management of BOS. I once got a time management memo for swiping in 2 seconds late (after two other latenesses within a month, both under one minute late) which, as someone who puts a lot of heart and soul into the parts of the job that really matter, felt unnecessarily petty.

I’ll also echo what others have said about the facade of “feedback culture.” There are lots of BOS and TLs with great ideas….but it often feels like those ideas get stuck at “yeah we’re just waiting to get the okay from management.” It is deflating. This organization was founded to make the public benefits system more efficient, yet here we are, drowning in inefficiency. Simple solutions stalling in the bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Take an honest look at our mission and what you are doing to honor it. Stop talking about how much you love to listen and actually listen. Value your workers.