Benefits Data Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 5, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Ginger Zielinskie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I had some incredible moments with both our clients and my coworkers, and I am thankful for my time at BDT" (in 3 reviews)

• "They support and challenge their employees to grow professionally" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "They preach room for advancement, but it is based on how much they like you rather than skills and experience" (in 4 reviews)

• "As a high-performing BOS with professional growth on my mind, this is disheartening, to say the least" (in 3 reviews)

"Good heart and strong model"

Current Employee - Manager (On the Administrative Side) in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager (On the Administrative Side) in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to other nonprofits, this place is honestly run really well. Obviously there are some comments here to the contrary, but anyone who has worked at two or more nonprofits in the social services sphere has expressed a pleasant surprise at how thoughtfully managed this place is.

I've worked at 7+ nonprofits in this field and this is the best one I've even been a part of.

The benefits are very good.

Cons

Growth in a time of government shrinkage is hard, but we are weathering it together with the state and other community-based organizations in our 7 states.

Advice to Management

We are a very progressive organization, but there's always room for growth in that arena... the more we can value our lower-ranking staff (financial and otherwise), the better.

"Be careful about accepting a BOS position."

Former Employee - Bos
    Former Employee - Bos

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People care about the mission and most of the staff is young. The space is beautiful and the views of the city are great. This organization is also a very LGBTQ friendly place to work. Your team leader generally does care about you and wants to see you succeed and team members are generally supportive and caring. You will meet some of the most amazing and passionate people in this office.

Cons

Before I started here over a year ago, I read the glassdoor reviews and took them with a grain of salt because I assumed the negative reviews were from jilted employees. Now that I have seen the other side, most of the negative reviews from BOS are valid. I look back on my time at BDT with fondess but I am thankful that I found something better suited for my professional needs.

As a BOS, you're going to be answering calls from clients, often in traumatic situations and applying them for public benefits. This is your main job function and its honestly emotionally exhausting and demoralizing most days. A part of being a BOS is being micromanaged constantly and management treats you like children. This job is not for the faint of heart, or for those who want experience that is not client service. BDT hires talented, idealistic individuals and then breaks down their spirits until they simply cannot do the job any longer.

Additionally, there is barely any room for growth and it is well known that management plays favorites. Often, they will interview a ton of BOS for an open position and then hire externally or go with an internal candidate who is not a BOS. On top of this, the pay is horrible and not competitive at all. The structure for raises is abysmal: you can get at most $1 raise a year and that is only if you're lucky. You can go above and beyond, have amazing calls, be on small teams and still only get a .50 raise. So you go from making $15/hour to $15.50, which just shows that your labor is not valued. If you have student loans and want to plan for you future, this job is not sustainable for you, unless you want to work multiple part-time jobs on top of this.

Also, from the start of my employment, I always got the feeling that the Admin side of the organization looked down on BOS. I was not alone in the feeling that there is an unequal balance of power in this organization.It's a shame that the cons outweigh the pros because BDT has the potential to be a great place to work, but the way the organization is structured makes it impossible for you to be a BOS and not feel the constrains of the position.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like children and treat them like the professionals that they are. Find a way to raise wages for BOS, who are the backbone of the company. There is no possible way to be a BOS for an extended period of time and have a steady financial future. Analyze your raise structure and realize that it is not enough to keep people in a job where you are tethered to a headset all day. BOS don't need TVs, parties, or pinatas to raise morale, they need more money and to be treated like professionals. Also take an objective look at how your team leaders are being treated by their management, it is absolutely unacceptable.

Most importantly, have better mental health resources for your BOS. They are often hearing traumatic events or dealing with angry clients and have no outlet or comprehensive training on how to deal with the emotional stress this job puts you through.

"Honest Review"

Current Employee - Bos in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Bos in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The BOS position is good in a few scenarios. It's a good position for those who just graduated or are still going to school. It's good for those who are looking for a career change and want some non profit and/or customer service experience. It's also good for those who are looking for a long term position but dont really care to make much money or move up career wise (like people who are just working to work).

Office is brand new and very cool. Great location. Young staff.

Cons

The pay. I mean c'mon. First 90 days you get $14/hr. After that you get $15hr. After a year you have the POTENTIAL of get UP TO a dollar raise...you can do everything right and not get that dollar because they're not willing to give that dollar raise out. Most people end up getting a .25 or .50 cent raise after a year and the best BOS get .75. BDT can't even give us a full 40 hour work week (37.5)

A promotion from BOS to a coordinator position really just means a lot more responsibilities for not that much pay (coordinator positions pay 38k). Many smart, hard working and capable BOS go out for these positions but they end up going with an external candidate OR someone else in the office who didn't even go out for that promotion!

BOS are micromanaged to the point where it seems like upper management thinks we're idiotic children. No internet access because of "data security" but everyone else in the office has access to the same info we do and they have internet. No phones at our desks and in designated areas. 30 min break and 45 min lunch. Basically anytime you do anything you have to set your status on your computer so everyone else knows what you're up to while people in other departments chill in the break room all the time.

They even audit some peoples instant messages to each out (which can lead to termination) when HR has their own scandalous drama going on...hypocrites

BDT continues to expand rather than focusing on the issues that the staff are voicing over and over again. Everyone in the contact center is miserable and we all find solice in that. It's been basically accepted that BDT will crash and burn soon enough because everyone wants to leave at this point. A cool office isn't enough to keep your staff.

Advice to Management

you can say there's transparency and then you can actually be transparent (those are 2 different things)

pay your staff better! there are BOS who are on Medicaid and food stamps which is really ironic because we help people apply for those benefits as part of our job.

Benefits Data Trust Response

Sep 19, 2017 – Talent and Culture Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback about BDT on Glassdoor.

We're glad that you appreciate the location and design of our new space. We work to provide our staff with a competitive compensation... More

"Benefits Outreach Specialist"

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time

Pros

Decent pay for an entry-level position, fun coworkers

Cons

Sitting all day, very rigid schedule/breaks

5. "Benefits Outreach Specialist"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time

Pros

Great environment and great team

Cons

Lack of communication and stressful work environment

"Noble Mission, Disheartening Reality"

Current Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. BDT hires a diverse staff of passionate, intelligent people as BOS, mostly on the younger side. LGBTQ-inclusive workplace. Decent pay and benefits for a first job outside of college (or in my case, coming out of two years serving in AmeriCorps). Stable hours. Convenient location. *~*~ Hip Millennial Office *~*~*

As a BOS, you learn A LOT about the public benefits system. Helping clients navigate the system can be genuinely rewarding, and I’ve had some beautiful conversations I’ll never forget. Very eye-opening work.

Cons

The organization has been growing at an unsustainable rate over the past year, then this past week they laid off an alarming amount of admin workers, many of whom had been promoted from the BOS role. As a high-performing BOS with professional growth on my mind, this is disheartening, to say the least. We have been assured that BOS are safe, as our funding for direct service is secure, but the admin layoffs have been a giant blow to organizational morale and any hopes of professional growth.

In my view, the organization has cut corners in places that matter the most when it comes to directly serving our clients with competency and care. For example, training for new BOS was drastically shortened earlier in the year. New hires were pushed onto the phones too soon, making critical errors that stalled clients’ benefit applications. I can only imagine the sacrifices in quality that will occur in the near future due to the cutting of team leaders, quality specialists, and project coordinators.

I will echo what others have said here about the micro-management of BOS. I once got a time management memo for swiping in 2 seconds late (after two other latenesses within a month, both under one minute late) which, as someone who puts a lot of heart and soul into the parts of the job that really matter, felt unnecessarily petty.

I’ll also echo what others have said about the facade of “feedback culture.” There are lots of BOS and TLs with great ideas….but it often feels like those ideas get stuck at “yeah we’re just waiting to get the okay from management.” It is deflating. This organization was founded to make the public benefits system more efficient, yet here we are, drowning in inefficiency. Simple solutions stalling in the bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Take an honest look at our mission and what you are doing to honor it. Stop talking about how much you love to listen and actually listen. Value your workers.

"Facades"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers a great benefits package. Matching 401k.

Cons

The management team is very disrespectful. They don't even have the respect to say good morning. They don't acknowledge workers unless they've did something wrong. The company has a strong policy for privacy, but yet every room consist of glass walls. There is no room for part-time. They preach room for advancement, but it is based on how much they like you rather than skills and experience. They announced layoffs today and within an hour, dozens were gone. Though the organization is not for profit, it is sales based.

Advice to Management

Greet workers. Have a respect for mental health. Find ways of giving raises. Take on new technologies. Offer better shifts. The founder of the company needs not to be grumpy towards employers.

8. "Employee Atmospher"

Current Employee - Juan Torres in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Juan Torres in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits Data Trust is a great organization to work for, they are very patient and detailed about any training necessary to ensure you are ready to work proficiently. This organization stream lines the application process for the Department of Human Services of Pennsylvania benefits for several states in the U.S. From upper management to administrative staff they are pleasant to work with.

Cons

In my opinion there are no negatives or downsides working at Benefits Data Trust

Advice to Management

Keep up the incredible work!

9. "the BOS"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust (More than a year)

Pros

the staff is amazing. The environment is very positive and people are being helped in the process. you work with good people for a good cause

Cons

it can be very tedious

Advice to Management

more autonomy within the role would be nice

10. "Tough, but worth it"

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time

Pros

professional growth, public service oriented

Cons

can get monotonous, need to bring independent entertainment, competitive