Benenson Strategy Group Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2021

3.1
Benenson Strategy Group CEO Joel Benenson (no image)
Joel Benenson
  1. 5.0

When It Counts, BSG Put Their People First

Aug 18, 2020 - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

While many companies during this pandemic have prioritized their bottom line, BSG has put their team members first by protecting their jobs and salaries. I don't mind the long hours people talk about in comments below knowing that the leadership at this company will prioritize their staff over profits when it counts the most.

Cons

While he workload is heavy, but hard to complain when my friends who had less work on their plates are being fired and salaries being reduced.

Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a Senior Analyst at BSG. We appreciate and value your feedback and strive to make BSG a great place to work. The pandemic has created some interesting challenges, but we are happy that we were able to protect our employees’ jobs and salaries during this difficult time. Our top priority is the health, safety, and wellbeing of our employees, so we will continue to monitor the spread of COVID-19. Hopefully, we can return to the offices later this year. Thank you again for your feedback and if there is anything further you would like to share, please contact the Human Resources department.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good company to work for

Mar 31, 2021 - Senior Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-The work is interesting and impactful -The company is filled with great employees from different walks of life

Cons

For the amount of work you're asked to do, the pay is sub par at best

Be the first to find this review helpful

Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a Senior Analyst at BSG. We appreciate and value your feedback and strive to make BSG a great place to work. As you stated, our company is filled with great people from different walks of life. We encourage our employees to share their unique perspectives to help us think more creatively and strategically. Our work can be demanding, but we are constantly researching new ways to streamline processes, automate tasks, and improve work/life balance. We also evaluate our pay structure on a regular basis to ensure we remain competitive in the marketplace. Thank you again for your feedback and if there is anything further you would like to share, please contact the Human Resources department at hr@bsgco.com. We wish you all the best.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee

Cool clients, poor working environment

Feb 13, 2021 - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting clients, important issues, and interesting implications

Cons

You were often overworked, and there was very little respect of a work life boundary

Be the first to find this review helpful

Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as an Analyst at BSG. We are sorry to hear you felt like this. We appreciate and value your feedback and strive to make BSG a great place to work. As you stated, we work with exciting clients on important issues. This work makes a difference in people’s lives, and although it is extremely rewarding, it can be demanding (especially during campaign seasons). However, we are constantly researching new ways to streamline processes, automate tasks, and improve work/life balance. Thank you again for your feedback and if there is anything further you would like to share, please contact the Human Resources department at hr@bsgco.com. We wish you all the best.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Underpaid and Overworked

Jul 22, 2020 - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Nice people - Interesting content - "Making a difference" mindset (often get to work on cool political campaigns or issue-advocacy) - Helps plug you into current events unlike any other job I've had

Cons

- Terrible hours (not uncommon to work until 8pm every night) - Not infrequent to work until 2am multiple days in a row, with little acknowledgment that our bodies may not be capable of handling those hours - Tied to desk when at the office - Ton of busy work, very little ability to use one's brain and actually be strategic (unlike the project they give you to do during the interview) - Much of the job is checking and re-checking numbers and spelling, rather than learning any useful technical skills - Given the hours you work, pay ends up being just barely above minimum wage (for CA) - When C-Suite visits, they always try to take everyone to lunch. But the irony is that analysts and associates never actually have time to take a lunch break, so they end up just staying later to finish the work they missed - In the LA office, analysts all bonded over how terrible everything was. No one spoke out loud, it was like working in a library all day - There was a big emphasis on pecking order (analyst vs. senior analyst vs. associate). The tasks were very different for each level, with analysts getting stuck with the most trite and mundane tasks) - The work fostered a fear culture -- fear of making a mistake, fear of getting a number wrong. It was a culture of negative reinforcement, not positive - There were many times we'd work on a deck with a partner, hand in a penultimate draft (after touching base multiple times throughout the project) and then had to completely re-work it the day before it was due to a client because the partner didn't agree with the work we did. This happened more often than not, so much so that analysts just expected to work until at least 3am on days before projects were due. Then, analysts, who don't speak at all on calls with clients, were expected to come into work and dial in at 9am to hear the partner present the findings. - Despite it being a liberal company, there wasn't much room to talk about how toxic the work culture was, and its effect on employee's mental health. Analysts would often talk to HR about the issues, but no change was ever made. - Lack of diversity among upper management, and very little clarity on how to work towards a promotion - False promises of "fun, friendly atmosphere" - There is so much of the analysts work that should be automated. Much of the data management and collection systems are out of date - While working here, I almost never had time to foster relationships outside of work. It felt very limiting, and that I was expected to devote 24/7 to this field and career, despite having only just started my professional journey

10 people found this review helpful

Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as an Analyst at BSG. We are sorry to hear that your experience was unpleasant. We appreciate and value your feedback and strive to make BSG a great place to work. We are a premier consulting and strategic research firm, and our work makes a difference in people’s lives. This work, although extremely rewarding, can be demanding (especially during campaign season). However, we are constantly researching new ways to streamline processes to improve work/life balance. For example, we are automating data processing and outsourcing charting so Analysts can focus on being more strategic. We understand that you may have felt that the job responsibilities of the Analyst position were “trite and mundane,” but we feel that these duties are critical and will help you better understand the data/research as you develop the skills necessary to be a better consultant. As you grow and develop within the organization, your contributions to the work expand. The job responsibilities of each level, as well as how to be promoted to the next level, are outlined in our job descriptions, which all employees receive during New Employee Orientation. In regards to diversity, we know we have some gaps to fill, which is why we are working with an outside consulting firm to ensure BSG is creating a diverse and inclusive working environment. The Senior Leadership Team is committed to holding themselves accountable and investing in the resources needed to achieve this. Thank you again for your feedback and if there is anything further you would like to share, please contact the Human Resources department at hr@bsgco.com. We wish you all the best.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great, meaningful, and challenging work with brilliant, fun colleagues.

Oct 8, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people: I've made lifelong friends working here. It's wonderful to come to work everyday and be excited to be working with smart, passionate, and quick-witted colleagues. The work: it's great getting to work with such important clients on the big issues of the day. I love the mix of political and private sector clients, which means I'm constantly being challenged to think in new ways and learn about different issues, groups, and parts of the world. It's amazing how much I have learned from working here, not just about strategy and research, but also about the movements shaping our world today. The benefits: during our busiest times, like election season, some days are hectic and long - but to me, that's the trade-off for getting to work on major campaigns and it's worth it (it's also nice to get to work on campaigns every election but not have to look for a new job every November). Great health, dental, and vision insurance with 100% premium coverage is very nice as well.

Cons

It's definitely improving, but it would be great if there were more inter-office communication (interaction).

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Senior Analyst

Aug 31, 2018 - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The experience you get at BSG you can’t get anywhere else. From the work to the types of clients. At junior levels you are an integral part of a team that is providing very high level consultation to clients. The company is leading with its values in all the work they do. The management is aware of the challenges for employees and is constantly making changes to improve.

Cons

It’s hard work, but if you want to get this type of experience, that’s what it takes. Been at other firms and it is less hours, but not learning nearly as much.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fascinating work, big impact, and wonderful colleagues

Apr 2, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

BSG has interesting clients, does intellectually stimulating work, and attracts top-level talent. The senior leadership at the firm is down to earth and genuinely cares for the welfare of the staff. You won't be bored at BSG. There's always something to do and learn. You also derive a lot of personal satisfaction the work because of the great causes the firm works on behalf of. If you work hard and perform well, you get promoted. There's opportunity for growth.

Cons

There's definitely a lot of work at the firm and long hours are common. However, the firm does a good job at recognizing hard work and if you stay late, they buy you dinner and pay for your ride home.

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Where else can you do amazing, life-changing work alongside great people?

Apr 3, 2014 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is great. You work with incredibly smart people. Everyone is really cool. and friendly. The work is truly amazing. Regardless whether you're working mainly with corporate or political clients, you see how the work you do impacts the lives of people in the real world.

Cons

Sometimes you have to stay late and it's tough to plan your personal life because the job requires you to be responsive to clients' needs...expect to cancel plans. But management is really good about giving you time off if you stayed late prior evening and they buy you dinner if you're in the office past 730.

9. 2.0
    Current Employee

Churn and burn culture, often a lack of mentorship

Jan 28, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

As others have mentioned, the firm offers you exposure to great clients and genuinely interesting research cases. It’s very easy to get close with your colleagues here –Drinks in the office, company retreats, and the “no eating lunch at your desk” rule ensures that you’ll make friends.

Cons

Certain teams are plagued with turnover e.g. In the past year, 10 people have left a team that was originally 15. This turnover has created noticeable instability, which has left many junior staff without sufficient guidance, opportunities for feedback, and access to other client accounts that would advance their professional growth. Be prepared for long hours and unprofessional personalities. While long hours are not uncommon for this industry, poor communication about expectations contirubtes to the late-night culture, as well. Pay is certainly not competitive enough

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Former Employee

Associate

Aug 31, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with a really smart group of people and work on projects that have a lot of impact on clients. The firm is known for its political work, but does a lot of great corporate work as well. They have a great environment, but work hard. You can learn A LOT at this company at any level.

Cons

The work requires a lot of hard work including nights and some weekends. Deadlines are client driven and many times not realistic. Issues are not much different than other client centric service firms.

3 people found this review helpful