Benetrac Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Jerry D. Hawthorne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "carrier support specialist"

Former Employee - Carrier Support Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Carrier Support Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Benetrac (More than a year)

Pros

the co workers were nice people

Cons

not many opportunities to improve yourself

"Client Services - Understaffed and very unorganized"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Benetrac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime is allowed, but only due to the never ending 100's of daily emails, and unanswered voicemails because of being so extremely understaffed.

Cons

Poor Executives at Paychex, poor Management, inexperienced supervisors. Overworked Employees along with a negative working environment. BeneTrac only hires Paychex Employees for any new positions. Once hired at Benetrac, you are in a pigeon hold into what ever position you were hired on as. Low moral, no internal promotions. Clients are always upset, or cancelling due to the long turnaround times since you are so swamped.

Advice to Management

Hire Supervisors who know what they are doing and get more staff. This company is barely floating internally.

"Poor Leadership"

Current Employee - Implementation Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Benetrac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of not a one.

Cons

Where do I start? Let's see:
    Poor Leadership - Leaders who do not know strengths/weaknesses of their teams or how to partner with other teams, No accountability, integrity, or how to build morale. No sense of urgency. I was lied to about position from day one and put on an Action plan because they wanted to develop me. Get lost. I have a Master's Degree in Leadership. I have more leadership potential in my toe than they have in their whole bodies. They promote friends to higher positions and occasionally even drink together on a Friday at someone's house while working. In 10 months, our team lost 4 of its 6 team members and 3 are no longer with company altogether. What does that tell you?

Advice to Management

Step down and let someone else lead. This is not for you.

"Started out as a wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Company started out with leadership that were available to help and understood the processes

Cons

Very poor leadership, leadership not knowledgeable

Advice to Management

Hire management staff based on actual experience instead of personal relationships

"Hope You don't want a life!"

Former Employee - Technical Operations Specialist I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Operations Specialist I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Benetrac (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady paycheck and overtime hours.

Cons

-Poor management
    -Lack of respect
    -Cliques
    -No promotional growth unless your BFF with your manager
    -Long work days
    -Heavy workflow with little release
    -In fall and holiday season don't expect time off they black it out
    -When you question a process you are over talked

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees that do the day to day tasks. Stop drinking with them outside of work and take time to have proper training done. You lose employees that have been there for years because you over look them if they don't buddy up to you!

"Best job of my career!!"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Benetrac full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My experience with BeneTrac truly couldn't have been more positive. I started with the company just a few months prior to the acquisition by Paychex. The company maintained it's small "Mom & Pop" feel, but benefited from the resources of a large Fortune 1000 corporation. BeneTrac (actually Paychex) offers great benefits and a great comp plan, but honestly the best parts of the job were the people I worked with every day and the incredible product I got to sell.

Cons

Like a lot of small companies, BeneTrac's largest challenge was in keeping up with its high growth. There have been many changes in the past year to address this going forward and I am extremely optimistic about the management team in place and the road map going forward.

"Good job with some downfalls"

Former Employee - Senior Benefit Systems Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Benefit Systems Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Benetrac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-fun committee tries hard to make it a good place to work
    -team meetings are informative
    -good work/life balance
    -easy to transfer to a new department

Cons

-reward for doing well at work is more work since its hourly

"Could be so much more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Benetrac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee and easy parking

Cons

Again, the infamous restructure occurring at the worst possible time, busy season. Higher ups have no respect for a work/life balance. You are expected to work 50+ hours a week and come in on weekends. If you're a mother don't try to get a job here. A few days away from work to care for a sick child will put your job at risk due to the amount of emails flooding your inbox. When you fall behind trying to be a good parent there is no sympathy why your workload has built up. Little support when you are out of the office either due to illness or vacation.

Already stressed out employees penalized for being unable to keep up with a workload which should be distributed amongst three to four people. People crying at their desk is a daily occurrence.

Multiple people on stress leave, have left on their own or have been fired. A job one once felt safe now overtaken by a kill or be killed culture. It is a sick environment standing on the backs of overworked and underpaid employees. 95% of client services left, were fired or went on stress leave last year. The people who caused this and continue to cause still have their jobs.

Never would I recommend this job to a friend for fear of losing that friendship.

Advice to Management

Respect the employees and daily grind they are faced with. Sit at someone's desk for a day and do their job, or at least see what they go through. Hire people who are more than good at excel and look for people good at customer service. Who cares if someone works a spreadsheet like a pro if they don't know how to handle a client when the spreadsheet is done incorrectly.

You put employees in an untenable situation. You placed and continue to place employees health and mental state in danger. The bad decisions made by mgmt are carried on the shoulders of employees wanting to do a good job but unable to succeed due poor decisions. Blaming the companies current state on low level employees it awful. They didn't cause this, but are paying for it.

"Stay away from this company"

Former Employee - Benefit Systems Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Benetrac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck, water cooler and free coffee. That's about it.

Cons

Last year the Company decided to "restructure", they made us interview for our "new positions" with little or vague information as of what our new jobs were going to be. The geniuses that came up with the mysterious new way of business still have their jobs while good hard worker employees were forced to leave the company or go on stress leave because of the lack or leadership, direction, unmanageable work load, lack of training, expectations to work overtime and weekends, gossiping , bad supervisors and managers and so much more. I have never experienced anything like this in any job. Companies make changes and restructure all the time the difference here is these companies have an actual plan and a great leadership team in order to transition.

Advice to Management

Fire all the managers and start over.

"WORST experience of my life."

Former Employee - Benefit Systems Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Benetrac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A paycheck. That is all.

Cons

Abysmal management "leaders" are uneducated and stubborn. An absolute train wreck of a "training program". Absolutely no career path.

Advice to Management

Invest in an actual training program.

Treat your employees with respect.

Stop placing unrealistic expectations on your employees (i.e. questioning why an email wasn't answered when there are 400+ emails in their, and everyone else's inbox.)

Take ownership for mistakes on Managements behalf (i.e. the infamous "restructure") and find a solution rather than using it as an excuse.

Admit that BeneTrac is actually; in fact, not it's own company anymore and it needs to be run completely by it's parent company (which is sadly a horrible, horrible company as well; Paychex)

Stop keeping "friends" around who contribute NOTHING TO THE COMPANY while letting valuable employees unwillingly OR willingly leave...

Stop having the "let's just get through the day" mentality, and actually have a plan for the future...if there will even be one.

UTILIZE HUMAN RESOURCES and have an actual contact PRESENT AND IN THE BUILDING. Also; verify that the HR contact has full knowledge of the laws and regulations both state and nationwide.

Your company lost a lot of very good, hard working, genuine people because of the stress of the job and no one to reach out to with developmental questions and HR related issues. I am one of them. I have never had a worse experience in my life, and my life has durastically improved since the day I walked out of your building.

Mr. Daley - you are a nice man; but it's a shame to see what your company truly stands for.

I will not leave my name. And the sad thing is...I guarantee you have no idea who submitted this review...because it's consistent with every other review.

Best of luck...