Benihana Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Steve Shlemon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The 50% discount on food when not working (in 14 reviews)

• 50% discount on food, employee meals for doubles, free pop during shift, managers are usually relational (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The tip out system is flawed you walk out with half of what you make (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't support their team nor do they care about anyone but their own personal agendas (in 8 reviews)

1. "Good Company With Tons of Potential"

Former Employee - Director of Training in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Director of Training in Aventura, FL

I worked at Benihana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company offers a phenomenal product that makes it unique in the restaurant industry. The new CEO Tom Baldwin is a fantastic new leader. Often I would see his vehicle in the parking lot before 8am, a full hour and a half before most of the corporate office comes in. He is fully dedicated to this company and building the brand back up. He has excellent leadership from the VP of Finance, to the VP of Marketing, to the VP of Human Resources. Overall he has really built up a team of strong and professional leaders. The location is in a new state of the art building in Aventura and the office is quite nice. The benefits team really spent a lot of time trying to improve benefits for “all” of the employees there and I couldn’t find any fault.

Cons

It’s critical that you build relationships with a few key people of the old regime. They hold much influence over how the organization is governed and if you don’t play your cards right, you can easily find them at odds with you and that can have some serious consequences. The benefits aren’t great, but I have high hopes they will continue to improve. I personally believe there needs to be better employee recognition programs other than Birthdays and years of service. I’ve always felt that the companies that are most successful are the ones who really show they care for their employees and aren’t afraid to spend money, knowing that the money will come back 10 fold. I can’t really say anything bad about the company. The new management is really trying to improve the company from all aspects.

Advice to Management

Really try to provide greater employee benefits, recognition, and opportunities to voice opinions.

2. "Great for some, not for everyone"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender, Chef
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender, Chef

I have been working at Benihana part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The money was fast for servers. You're serving full tables of six or eight all day long, so the check sizes were always larger and the upsell can be easy. And since the chefs cook in front of people you really just have to worry about running appetizers and table maintenance.

If you're a chef this is also a great place because you get paid with a mix of paychecks and cash.

Cons

A lot of people who can't afford this place and don't understand the food come here. Sometimes the tips are very generous and people are happy, but you do often times get stiffed on checks or people that have no interest in good food, only extra garlic butter and teriyaki sauce.

What sucks for the chefs is that you actually have to cook to those specifications, and sometimes for no extra compensation. Some guests will take out an entire bowl of garlic butter or an entire bottle of teriyaki without tipping you and you're expected to cook for them, as well as cook to company standard for the others at the table.

Advice to Management

Some of the issues are more or less corporate made, or issues that only corporate can fix... but that just means management needs to be a bit more vocal between corporate, guests, and employees!

3. "Host"

I worked at Benihana part-time

Pros

50% off , free employee meal or buy anything on menu

Cons

managers sometimes had preference but overall pretty good

4. "Kitchen Prep."

Former Employee - Kitchen Team Member in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Kitchen Team Member in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Benihana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benihana offered a positive work environment and many co-workers are hard-working and effective. The pay is competitive towards other dine-in restaurants. The kitchen staff are helpful and motivating. The chef's offered great experiences and customer satisfaction. The food is awesome.

Cons

Benihana kitchen space at this location was compact and a little disorganized. Most weekends at Benihana are very busy. Thus, I had to work many weekend shifts. Somewhat of a high turnover. Scheduled work shifts needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Benihana management could offer more enticing benefits. Management staff attitude could use some improvement at the location I was employed. Scheduled shifts in advance could be improved.

5. "Host"

Pros

Awesome people to work with.

Cons

No cons, just an amazing place to work.

6. "Server Assistant"

I have been working at Benihana part-time

Pros

50% off food when your not working.

Cons

tips are usually very low.

Advice to Management

Increase the tip out 2% of food sales to make tips meaningful.

7. "Server"

Current Employee - Food Server in North Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Food Server in North Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Benihana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my managers and customers

Cons

We were always packed so rush hour was crazy

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

8. "Busser"

Former Employee - Busser
    Former Employee - Busser

I worked at Benihana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Majority of everyone, both employees and managers, were great to work with. Managers helped employees if they're behind in their work, especially since when we are understaffed. Good amount of tips. Even though the bussers were understaffed sometimes, the ones that show up get to take home the rest of the tips that could've been shared with those absent.

Cons

-The bussers that have been working with the company for the longest are irresponsible with their job (disappear majority of the shift, sloppy cleaning, inattentive to dishware inventory & ice, too much talking, & one especially delegated tasks so he can talk stories)
    -Main manager didn't seem to care about other bussers slacking off on their job and doesn't get mad at them for not helping. He got mad at me for doing things outside of my job description; for example, helping one of the servers bring water to a group of customers.
    -stink after work

Advice to Management

Main manager needs to re-train the bussers that have been working with the company the longest, not blame the new employees. They're the ones whose screwing up, not us and the newer ones. The newer employees do a better job than them. Main manager sometimes need to keep his cool and quit jumping into conclusions to blaming employees.

9. "Prep cook"

Former Employee - Prep Cook
    Former Employee - Prep Cook

I worked at Benihana part-time

Pros

The managers and other employees are great to work with. Everyone had a lot of integrity and they knew how to have fun as well as work hard. they give a pretty good employee discount and the salary is pretty good.

Cons

If you are a prep cook you have to work at night,so if you like working at night this is a good job, if you don't you may want to consider working some place else

10. "Good Summer Job"

Former Employee - Student in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Student in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Benihana (Less than a year)

Pros

Made Good money
    Worked Good hours

Cons

Management wasn't really that great