Bennett Thrasher Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeffrey Eischeid

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Tax Staff"

I have been working at Bennett Thrasher full-time

Pros

Flexibility, Care for Employees, Challenging Work, Positive Culture

Cons

Long Hours during Busy Season (typical in the field)

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Tax Associate"

I have been working at Bennett Thrasher full-time

Pros

Good Culture and plenty of room for advancement.

Cons

The hours are extremely long even outside of busy seasons.

Advice to Management

Hire more people.

3. "Tax Senior Associate"

Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate

I worked at Bennett Thrasher full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, great supervisors, great extracurricular activities.

Cons

VERY stingy on bonuses. My fiance was offered her dream job out of state and I was forced to seek other employment. The timing of my move was right at the end of the fiscal year when bonuses were paid out. I had already been informed I was going to be promoted, so clearly my performance during the year was adequate and would have earned some bonus amount though I do not know exactly what it would have been. Although I completed employment at BT through the end of the fiscal year which related to the bonus, BT elected not to pay my bonus since they deemed i was "exiting." As stated, I was not even exiting for a competitor. Rather I was obligated to exit due to normal life circumstances...

My fiance and I were counting on this amount due to the expenses associated with our upcoming move and wedding. I truly had a great experience at BT other that this, but the way it was handled was enough to go from a 5 to a 1 star rating. That is how poorly I view this approach. Based on other research and a prior expeirene of my own, most firms in the same situation would pay the bonus to the exiting employee. I happened to leave my previous job at a large public accounting firm (Grant Thornton) in the same city under the exact same circumstances. Grant Thornton paid my bonus without hesitation.

Essentially, I would have been better off waiting 2 weeks to receive my bonus payout and quitting on the spot without providing notice. Instead I thought i was doing the considerate thing by providing the firm with notice.

Advice to Management

You should consider paying bonuses to those who completed employment during the fiscal year but exited the firm shortly after. Particularly, when the employee is exiting due to "life circumstances" rather than merely leaving for a competitor. The firm should consider making some exceptions to there general rule of not paying bonuses to those exiting. Otherwise, those that are exiting around bonus time would be better off staying around for a few more days/weeks and they quitting ASAP once they get the bonus. The bonus was earned during the prior year rather than for prospective performance for the year to come.

4. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bennett Thrasher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic Firm. Competitive pay and benefits. Everyone cares about your well being here.

Cons

I do not have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"BT"

I worked at Bennett Thrasher full-time

Pros

Great experience of public accounting

Cons

- HR and several people are fake and mean; not genuine and seem angry sometimes.
    - Some people are not that great at explaining things.
    - Encourages family values, but has gotten rid of several employees.

Advice to Management

Don't be rude.

6. "Tax Staff"

Pros

Awesome firm to work for. They treat you with respect and trust, and have a great team. Glad I decided to intern with them and then accept the job offer!

Cons

Cannot think of any cons.

7. "BT"

Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Bennett Thrasher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture and senior leadership is great!

Cons

No public company audits, but you get great exposure.

8. "I Couldn't Picture Myself Anywhere Else"

I have been working at Bennett Thrasher full-time

Pros

Great benefits, friendly atmosphere, competitive pay, very flexible with schedule and listens to your needs

Cons

Some of the girls can get catty, but that's going to be true anywhere.

9. "Tax Supervisor"

Pros

Employee focused, flex hours, and they strive to be as efficient as possible

Cons

Like all public accounting firms, the hours can be very demanding

"Great Culture! Great Leadership!"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bennett Thrasher (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, BT provides a great work environment and continually strives to improve. Management exhibits great leadership and the firm seems to have a good plan for growth.

From the interview process to my day-to-day, this is the first firm where I feel completely comfortable to be myself. I have had great managers and partners in the past, but those were isolated individuals in a much larger organization. The partner and director over my department have immense of levels of patience and genuinely care about developing our team as professionals. They also remember that we are humans that at times have to handle personal tasks during work hours and let us take care of our personal lives. A little more about being myself. I like speaking up when I see process improvement opportunities and my bosses actually listen and incorporate some of my more developed ideas. When I bring up nascent ideas, they'll make suggestions to flesh out the suggestion. What's even better is that my bosses are continually trying to improve our processes, so I'm not at odds with management.

But that's my department, let's talk about BT. Since I have started at the firm, I have seen opportunities to attend leadership training both internal and external. I know the internal meetings are open to all employees. Additionally, Ken Thrasher and the HR team have researched and setup training problems for management to be better coaches to all employees. Another thing I think exhibits good leadership is a desire to support us in opportunities to train in things like CPR and AEDs. I believe good leadership supports developing well-rounded employees and training outside of accounting helps to accomplish this goal.

Another leadership trait that I find the firm has done well is communication. At previous employers, communication was minimal. Here, the firm will meet at least once a quarter to update employees on the health of the company. Following that meeting is a social event where employees can meet people from other departments. In addition to this meeting and event, HR will send out updates at least once a month. My department meets once a week for about 15 minutes so that our director can keep us up-to-date. More than just keeping us up-to-date, the firm communicates appreciation. Ken and Rick both show up to appreciation events and thanks us for our hard work and have more personal conversations to get to know the folks at the firm.

Enough about the great leadership, let's talk a little about compensation and benefits. Having been around the block and also reading salary guides, I know my base pay is competitive. What's really cool is the benefits package. PTO is comparable to other public accounting firms, but I don't have to use any of my PTO to take off the last week of the year. The firm is technically closed between Christmas and New Year’s. Easiest way to make sure I get this time off is to finish my work or schedule my work to fall around this week. Additionally, medical insurance is robust and the firm makes a significant contribution to our HSA accounts. If we talk about the total compensation package and don't just focus on base pay, BT has it right.

Cons

Life is what you make it. BT is in fact a company that does have to hire real human beings. This means all the crazy that comes with dealing with other humans.

If I have to harp on a few things, then let's talk about interacting with other departments, CPE, and benefits. We're setup much like other companies with different departments in different areas of the office. I don't interact much with the other departments during a regular workday, so this sounds less than ideal, but its par for the course. People can mingle at firm events like our quarterly meeting. The firm also sponsors different sports teams and does Fitbit challenges that also help employees mingle. It's tough to do more with work after work hours, but it does provide a good opportunity to meet people from the other departments.

Okay, CPE. I've been spoiled in the past with an organized week of in-house CPE. That was good and bad. Think about one whole week of CPE, brutal but convenient. In my department here at BT, we do an hour here or an hour there. It doesn't feel organized, but it gets the job done. I know I can pick some outside CPE to attend, so I'll have to give that a shot. BT is good middle ground compared to one place that I worked that almost didn't provide CPE or a budget to go buy/attend CPE.

I know I said total compensation package and benefits are great in the Pros section, so hear me out. BT has one of the best overall packages I have seen in my career, but I'm selfish and greedy. Let's give a healthier 401k match and let's get rid of the vesting period. I think vesting periods are an old school idea that was necessary because leadership was less than ideal. Step up with good leadership and employees will naturally be loyal.

Advice to Management

Great job keeping up with the marketing and providing forward thinking benefits. Please continue to receive feedback from all levels and making the firm a better place to work.