Bentley Bratcher & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bentley Bratcher & Associates Managing Partners Gregory O. Bratcher
Gregory O. Bratcher

"Lack of management skills, work balance not distributed evenly, lack of respect for employees."

Former Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best part of my job was an outing to with the firm. All food, drinks and games were paid for. They have a fully stocked kitchen with snacks, drinks and a TV. Lunch was the best part of my day! Pay was reasonable given the amount of work that was expected.

Cons

I was given jobs to do with very little hands on training. And on top of that they provided me with an outdated training manual. The work load to ratio of administrative help was unacceptable. There needs to be some sort of balance. My first week people were asking how it was to work in my position and little did I know what I had gotten myself into. I was apparently the 4th receptionist in less than 9 months. No regards to family life, other than on Fridays when we were able to leave directly at 5pm. Otherwise we were expected to stay until all work was finished. Yes overtime was disclosed but in my defense Monday thru Thursday then would have always been overtime days. Great for when I was a single, unmarried woman without kids. I was even told this is why we don't like to hire people with young children. They enjoy making people squirm, in fact they feed off one another. I wouldn't recommend working in this type of hostile environment. Beware unless you enjoy being unhappy and belittled every day.

Advice to Management

Update your manuals and training materials. Create a trusting, positive, uplifting and happy work environment. After all, we spend more time at work than at home with our families.

"Verbally Abusive"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

Company lunches or any after hour events where Greg and Claudia interact like semi-normal human beings. Greg is down to earth and very driven but does need to work on some anger issues, his company is going in the right direction due to his hard work along with his principles. Bruce, Bill, Cecil, Melvin, Tracy and John made coming to work bearable as they are very pleasant. The pay is very competitive and overtime is available during the busy season.

Cons

No training-just given work and then yelled/cursed at if there are any errors because it was not done to "preference". If a task is done properly...Claudia will make sure to find some fault in it (if it even means going back on her initial instructions) Alarming turn around rate. Fellow employees would come up and comment on how they would not wish working with Claudia on their worst enemy and that there were 8 previous women that worked with her that year alone that were no longer with the company. The "HR" is also the office manager AND the owners girlfriend, there is no getting away from her and she twists everything that is relayed to the CEO. Upper management will talk negatively about principles and partners in front of any and all employees that are in the area. Aggressive demeanor.

Advice to Management

Do not question employees why they "took so long" in the restroom if it was under 5 minutes. Boundaries. Do NOT get closer than 5 inches to someone else's face in attempt to intimidate them. Try to refrain from looking a employee "over" (up and down) if their clothes are not designer name. Do NOT get drunk at any work related event and vomit on yourself in front of employees and then spend the next day in the supply closet sleeping it off. Give a little respect to your employees to earn theirs. Do not call employees into your office and tell them that they have to stand and cannot sit as you being to berate them. Do NOT discuss your personal problems with employees that you do not treat as peers because they could have loose lips and let that you would have left your boyfriend a long time ago but he is your "source of income"-word for word.

Employees do not need to be coddled-just provide a health work environment. If employees thrive at other companies and all fail at your company....find the source of the problem.

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the staff I work with the people and employees are nice

Cons

Claudia and Greg the owner's are the worse here they both have very bad management skills and they give you an attitude. It is not worth the pay if you apply here as a Administrative my advise is RUN don't take is Claudia is a Devil in a pretty package

Advice to Management

Claudia and Greg need to take a management class or something to control there attitude's

"Ups and Downs like every job, average in the public accounting field."

Current Employee - Staff Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn all aspects of the firm if you desire. They start you out with a laptop w/remote access and a key to come in on your own time when projects require. Staff seems laid back and so does management. They are straight to the point minimizing wasted time from adding "fluff".

Cons

Absolutely no training manual or schedule. Pretty much expected to be working on projects alone the 2nd day. Not quite sure who answers my questions and pretty much had to teach myself everything. I am no slacker and have a pretty solid knowledge of accounting concepts either. Just to be clear, I had no problem with the CPA exams and breezed through them without studying as much as I did for my drivers license(skimmed the book in line). However to sum it up, "90% of the time, I have no idea what the **** is going on". I like teaching myself. However, I don't even know what general concepts I should be teaching myself. Also, who is in charge here!?!?!?

Advice to Management

Focus on developing a core structure or policy manual. I understand significant strides have been made since 2010 but there is still a long road ahead. Keep on focusing on growth but also be more open to teaching others around you.

6. "A firm dedicated to superior client service, employee development, and community service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Bratcher & Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to have exposure and learn about the services BB&A provides. The mentality of the management promotes exposure and development in tax, audit, business development, business services. For those interested in broad exposure within the accounting/finance field, this is the place to be.
    Our clients are our first priority. Learning that serving our clients is a privilege.
    Free snacks, meals (during busy season), great annual Christmas party, outlandish gifts for all employees.
    Receptivity of management regarding work schedule flexibility on an individual basis as well as by departments

Cons

A firm in transition experiencing some growing pains. (firm values still in development, excessive turnover in some areas, and improved clarity in terms of roles and responsibilities)
    Policies in dire need of review and updating.

Advice to Management

Stay the current course
    Continue to clarify and communicate with employees
    Address the "Cons" above

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Houston, TX

Pros

I have been working for this company for over two. This is a small business and, as such, I have been exposed to a lot of things that i would not have been if I was working at a larger firm. The firm has seen some turnover but those who have left were not a good fit and not willing to work hard and learn.

Cons

Like all other public accounting firms, the hours are longer during the spring. But it is nice that the firm provides snacks and dinner some nights. Plus chair massages.

8. "Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

Pros

Would recommend to anyone coming out of college. Gives you a strong general business background. Partners are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. Pay is great and benefits are great too.

Cons

Long work hours during busy season. Management should consider getting additional staff.

9. "Bad experience."

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time

Pros

Like every other review on here, clearly the only pro to this company is the food and drinks they provide.

Cons

Where to begin....
    The first week I was there, the other employees kept asking me how I liked the job and asked how I liked working with the manager blah blah.. That was annoying!
    Come to find out I realized why they were asking me. I was probably the millionth admin to work there. They've had so many turn overs it's unreal. It's all due to the poor management! I stuck it out for as long as I could till one day I thought to myself "I need to get out now". I've never worked in such a hostile environment in all my life.! DON'T work here. NO ONE deserves to be treated the way these people treat their employees.

Advice to Management

Take a management class! Learn to value your employees! Then maybe, just maybe you'll finally end the turn overs and will stop wasting your time interviewing people every month!. Because they won't last very long.

10. "Run!!"

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks and drinks in the kitchen. This is literally the ONLY Pro to this job. Just go to Costco and bring your own snacks to another company.

Cons

Management is terrible. Hostile work environment. The turn over is due to the poor management style. If you enjoy being verbally harassed and forced to work around the clock this is the place for you. The owner is disgusting and inappropriate. During the time I was employed with this company it took a turn for the worst and the rest is history. Do NOT take a job here you will regret it for years to come.

"Unprofessional"

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snacks, drinks, and coffee provided daily. Nice building with a deli inside. Lunches and massages sometimes provided for busy season. Software is user friendly, staff is committed to working hard and staying overtime. Most managers are approachable.

Cons

High turnover. Many offices are empty from previous employees that left. Employee retention is not their strong suit. Most of the tenured staff come in late, or don't show up to work everyday and are difficult to reach for customer questions/issues. Communication seems to have a significant barrier, as most critical information is not immediately communicated beforehand. Training is little to none, and specific management can be impatient, belittling, and profane. There is no sense of reason or understanding that seems to come with the territory of working here, and be expected to show no sense of urgency to leave on time it is expected that you stay working everyday past the time you were scheduled, or you will indefinitely be frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Build your team. Foster growth. Build a bench, so that when people leave you have good employees to fall back on. Send your leaders to a training class, so that they can be better mentors. Value your people, not only physically, but mentally. Reward and recognize the good, minimize the bad. Organize the staff, open the communication lines, and hold people accountable.