Bentley Bratcher & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Gregory O. Bratcher

"Verbally Abusive"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

Company lunches or any after hour events where Greg and Claudia interact like semi-normal human beings. Greg is down to earth and very driven but does need to work on some anger issues, his company is going in the right direction due to his hard work along with his principles. Bruce, Bill, Cecil, Melvin, Tracy and John made coming to work bearable as they are very pleasant. The pay is very competitive and overtime is available during the busy season.

Cons

No training-just given work and then yelled/cursed at if there are any errors because it was not done to "preference". If a task is done properly...Claudia will make sure to find some fault in it (if it even means going back on her initial instructions) Alarming turn around rate. Fellow employees would come up and comment on how they would not wish working with Claudia on their worst enemy and that there were 8 previous women that worked with her that year alone that were no longer with the company. The "HR" is also the office manager AND the owners girlfriend, there is no getting away from her and she twists everything that is relayed to the CEO. Upper management will talk negatively about principles and partners in front of any and all employees that are in the area. Aggressive demeanor.

Advice to Management

Do not question employees why they "took so long" in the restroom if it was under 5 minutes. Boundaries. Do NOT get closer than 5 inches to someone else's face in attempt to intimidate them. Try to refrain from looking a employee "over" (up and down) if their clothes are not designer name. Do NOT get drunk at any work related event and vomit on yourself in front of employees and then spend the next day in the supply closet sleeping it off. Give a little respect to your employees to earn theirs. Do not call employees into your office and tell them that they have to stand and cannot sit as you being to berate them. Do NOT discuss your personal problems with employees that you do not treat as peers because they could have loose lips and let that you would have left your boyfriend a long time ago but he is your "source of income"-word for word.

Employees do not need to be coddled-just provide a health work environment. If employees thrive at other companies and all fail at your company....find the source of the problem.

2. "Bad experience."

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time

Pros

Like every other review on here, clearly the only pro to this company is the food and drinks they provide.

Cons

Where to begin....
    The first week I was there, the other employees kept asking me how I liked the job and asked how I liked working with the manager blah blah.. That was annoying!
    Come to find out I realized why they were asking me. I was probably the millionth admin to work there. They've had so many turn overs it's unreal. It's all due to the poor management! I stuck it out for as long as I could till one day I thought to myself "I need to get out now". I've never worked in such a hostile environment in all my life.! DON'T work here. NO ONE deserves to be treated the way these people treat their employees.

Advice to Management

Take a management class! Learn to value your employees! Then maybe, just maybe you'll finally end the turn overs and will stop wasting your time interviewing people every month!. Because they won't last very long.

3. "Run!!"

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks and drinks in the kitchen. This is literally the ONLY Pro to this job. Just go to Costco and bring your own snacks to another company.

Cons

Management is terrible. Hostile work environment. The turn over is due to the poor management style. If you enjoy being verbally harassed and forced to work around the clock this is the place for you. The owner is disgusting and inappropriate. During the time I was employed with this company it took a turn for the worst and the rest is history. Do NOT take a job here you will regret it for years to come.

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the staff I work with the people and employees are nice

Cons

Claudia and Greg the owner's are the worse here they both have very bad management skills and they give you an attitude. It is not worth the pay if you apply here as a Administrative my advise is RUN don't take is Claudia is a Devil in a pretty package

Advice to Management

Claudia and Greg need to take a management class or something to control there attitude's

"Unprofessional"

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snacks, drinks, and coffee provided daily. Nice building with a deli inside. Lunches and massages sometimes provided for busy season. Software is user friendly, staff is committed to working hard and staying overtime. Most managers are approachable.

Cons

High turnover. Many offices are empty from previous employees that left. Employee retention is not their strong suit. Most of the tenured staff come in late, or don't show up to work everyday and are difficult to reach for customer questions/issues. Communication seems to have a significant barrier, as most critical information is not immediately communicated beforehand. Training is little to none, and specific management can be impatient, belittling, and profane. There is no sense of reason or understanding that seems to come with the territory of working here, and be expected to show no sense of urgency to leave on time it is expected that you stay working everyday past the time you were scheduled, or you will indefinitely be frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Build your team. Foster growth. Build a bench, so that when people leave you have good employees to fall back on. Send your leaders to a training class, so that they can be better mentors. Value your people, not only physically, but mentally. Reward and recognize the good, minimize the bad. Organize the staff, open the communication lines, and hold people accountable.

"Worst employment experience of my life"

Former Employee - Senior Tax Accountant
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Accountant

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was plenty of work to go around; no worries about idle time.

Cons

Little to no management supervision of staff; no feedback provided by supervisors. Corrections made to your work aren't communicated to you (you can't learn from mistakes you are not aware you are making). Hostile/profane managing partner. He really needs some anger management counseling.

Advice to Management

Value your staff. Provide feedback, BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.

"Lacking in management skill causing high turnover rates"

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time

Pros

They had every intention to make the firm better to resolve their turnover issues, but they never seem to realize that the problem is not the people below them -- but the partners themselves. They provide food during busy season and have snacks in the kitchen. Great 401K and health insurance benefits -- for the employees who were eligible for them.

Cons

A glowing 4-star review somehow graces their page that claims that the firm suffered from turnover and that the employees who left "were not a good fit and not willing to work hard and learn."

The employees who recently left the firm are some of its best, most hard-working employees who had a major contribution in helping the firm improve (in every way they can). In fact, a majority of these people now work for a Big 4 accounting firm, which is a testament to their aptitude and skill. A Big 4 accounting firm is not exactly where people "not willing to work hard and learn" are hired -- in fact, it is where the brightest and smartest accountants belong.

If management simply recognized the core issue (which would be themselves), instead of pawning off the blame on other people and accusing them of not willing to work hard and learn, they would be much better off. As an accounting firm, honesty is key to providing quality services to your clients, and if you can't be honest about why you are suffering from turnover issues, then it poses as a challenge as to how you maintain business with your clients.

Advice to Management

Do not blame the people who left as being unwilling to learn because we put up with your inability to handle or manage your employees as much as we can to help your firm continue to function despite the fact that it was on the brink of faltering every busy season.

Listen to your employees for once and do not deny the fact that you and your attitudes/personalities are the reason for your high turnover rates.

"Hostile Environment"

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time

Pros

The firm provides the standard niceties like free snacks and sodas, dinner once a week during busy season and lunch on Saturdays. The Christmas party is nice and each employee receives a fairly extravagant Christmas gift.

Cons

This is the most hostile work environment I, or anyone I know, has ever experienced. The owners have no issue with screaming, cursing and telling employees they are "worthless". Owners also talk about managers and staff in a negative way to other employees. Adequate training and mentoring is not provided, and less experienced employees are left to figure things out themselves. Most employees are terrified to speak to the managing partner. Out of 6 managers that were hired in 2011, only 2 remained at October 2012. Of the 3 seniors that were employed at the firm in January 2012, only 1 remained at November 2012. Of the 9 associates that were employed in January 2012, only 3 remained at December 2012. There has also been significant turnover in the administrative staff. As of December 2012, there has only been one new hire to replace this turnover (a manager). Employees are not treated with respect or professional courtesy. Lunches over an hour and any time absent between 8-5 must be pre-approved and require use of vacation time as opposed to coming in early or staying late to make up the time. Work-life balance is non-existent because the firm cannot stay adequately staffed due to the treatment of its employees. There are numerous administrative meetings that never result in any action or innovation. The managers are ineffective at enacting any true change because the owners hinder any change. In addition to the issues with the work environment and treatment of employees, the quality control review of the work product is sub-par. Projects are finalized and provided to clients with errors on a regular basis. The combination of lack of proper training and lack of top level review is a recipe for disaster in the accounting industry. The firm lost countless clients in 2012 due to poor client service and work product. The issues start at the top and will not change because the top level people are not willing to change.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people with decency and respect. Lead by example and inspiration instead of fear and bullying.