Bentley Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Bentley Systems Reviews

Updated August 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good work life balance is possible in some situations (in 54 reviews)

• The work environment is positive and all colleagues are friendly and helpful (in 45 reviews)

1. "Great opportunities!"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great opportunities to contribute, tackle projects, travel globally, showcase your strengths, and take on new and challenging work. Unlike other enterprise software companies in this space, Bentley doesn't seem to compartmentalize you into your role and encourages you to reach higher and volunteer for other roles or bigger roles. They also offer great professional development options and encourage you to keep learning and believe in a well-trained staff.

Cons

Being a private company, company success and performance isn't always easy to obtain. Don't pay as much as some other competing software firms.

Advice to Management

Update the employees more frequently on strategy, financial performance, and how our jobs directly impact our company goals.

Jul 11, 2017 – HR Director, Americas and Global Compensation

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! I'm glad to hear you've found opportunities to keep you engaged and challenged. We appreciate your hard work over the years!

2. "Flexible Organization"

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company allows for nice work/life balance.

Cons

Not much opportunity for promotions to higher level positions.

Jul 10, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Many of our colleagues enjoy the learning opportunities that are offered, taking advantage of enhancing their personal and professional growth. We... More

"Agree with New pay structure is toxic"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment. Knowledgeable and friendly coworkers.

Cons

Low pay. Often times no raise. Claims of bonus but to get bonus, need to meet goals, which does not happen often. Terrible communication.

Advice to Management

Increase pay and bonuses, your base is well below the industry average. Then keep providing raises. Software development is a competitive industry, in order to keep good employees, need to pay them what they are worth.

Jul 17, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoy our work environment and the colleagues working at Bentley. We currently have a variable pay plan that is meant to motivate our... More

"Poorly Managed"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

Wide variety of software offerings.

Cons

The sales department is not a good place to be in this firm. Commission structure that is confusing and changes frequently without notice, along with your territory. You won't make any real money until the end of the year if and only if you surpass 100% quota. You spend a lot of time building a pipeline and then have it swiped away and switched to something else. Broad, massive, sweeping knee jerk reaction changes take place every year without intelligent thought or process applied. Good old boy mentality runs rampant throughout the organization. For a software company with progressive products there seems to be a glaring lack of progressive management and sound business principals. Who is steering this ship?

Jul 21, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and we will share it with sales management for their consideration. Feel free to reach out to local HR to discuss your concerns further.

5. "Product Manager"

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time

Pros

Great for work life balance, good learning opportunity, specially for developers

Cons

Don't expect a fast growth, high paying career, this is best for people looking for a stable and decent paying job with good learning experience and great work life balance

Jun 22, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Work Life balance is highly valued by our colleagues based on our colleague engagement survey, and we are glad that you have had a positive experience in that regard.

"Low growth, low pay, this ship is going down"

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Systems (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some decent products, good balance of work and life. Overall nice people and very good mid-level managers, good hardware and overall support.

Cons

Lack of sales and marketing strategy, process driven, sales people need approvals for everything, they are basically account admins, micromanagement to a nightmarish level, LOW PAY, sales comp plan rigged NOT to pay any commission. Worse possible combination of unattainable quotas and complex, ever changing rules (there are at least 24 combinations of product/service/subscription sales that are comp'ed differently) for quota retirement. In a nutshell, sales people won't be making any commission or very little. Some ethically challenged policies e.g. charging customers for an unavailable product.... yes, you got it right! the product maintenance cost was raised in January and charged accordingly even when the product was available only AFTER April. Benefits are reduced on a year over year basis. There is NO upwards mobility and there are NO real raises.

Advice to Management

Focus on Sales and Marketing, hire top notch marketing people, align Marketing with Sales, today they are completely disconnected. Fire your useless Chief Revenue Officer and hire someone who has a sound go to market strategy, understand enterprise sales, creates a rewarding compensation plan, hire direct reports with the required skills/experience not just friends. Selling anything to anybody is NOT an strategy. Invest in the winning products and divest from the myriad of losers in the portfolio.

Jul 3, 2017 – HR Generalist - US West

We appreciate the time you took to share your view. We are proud of our rich total rewards package. Our US Benefits at Bentley are benchmarked at the 85th percentile by an external third party, and... More

"Laid-back, low pay on avg, process nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid-back atmosphere--managers will eat with underlings who aren't even their employees. In IT Ops, you definitely feel like you can approach anybody with a question or for insight on a project. Some of the most congenial folk you will ever run into in a company.

Low managerial oversight--this can be really nice for the types who have high work ethic and don't need somebody breathing down their shoulder to deliver great work.

Great people--some of the best of the best work for Bentley, and there are a decent number of them. If you want to learn more, there are plenty of sources happy to mentor you.

A great stepping stone company--they are at the top of their field, have lots of different products, and you can get great experience here to move forward in your career...but you will need to go elsewhere to do it.

Cons

Laid-back atmosphere--you get a lot of 'bare minimum' employees and everybody ultimately relies on the extremely knowledgable 'Brents' of every team (character from The Phoenix Project, a popular book at the company).

Low managerial oversight--unless something goes wrong, you will not stand out no matter how much work you do. There is a phenomenon of the 'incompetent manager' which often gets thrown around in casual conversation like it's a regular thing, which leads to the next point...

Low managerial accountability--Managers aren't held accountable for their decisions except in extreme cases. The 'blame football' gets passed around until everybody is so confused that nobody truly gets blamed and the same problems happen again down the line. If anybody gets blamed, it is the underlings, and in meetings where they aren't invited and can't defend themselves.

Low upward mobility--they hire out-of-house employees more often than promoting internally. On my team, it was impossible to become a 'Senior' level or get paid more, despite doing the same work. Every team's lead struggles to get money for new employees, and this was just recently made even more difficult by closing a loophole they were using to get interns.

Turnover is high--employees leave, but their spaces aren't usually filled. Workloads get cannibalized into existing jobs with no extra pay or recognition.

Low pay--in IT Ops, everybody is getting paid less than competitively. My salary rose by ~50% upon leaving. They get around this by having a 'bonus' you get every year, but it is contingent on the company's performance, and for the last 7 or so years employees have been watching their bonuses dwindle to the point where they only make a few hundred extra dollars each year.

Payroll often makes mistakes--if you are an hourly worker, you need to check your pay every single pay period to make sure you are getting what you deserve. Payroll won't entertain your problems until you get higher-level managers involved. Problems my team had in November didn't even begin to be addressed until February, and we had to push them every step of the way. They changed how worked holiday pay works in the middle of a work year and pretended it had always been that way.

Meetings for the sake of meetings--most meetings could have taken place in a simple email thread with maybe a paragraph.

Nepotism--you will see/hear a lot of the same surnames, including the eponymous one. Interns are relatives of employees more often than not.

Change--usually a good thing, but at this company they change processes and systems so often that nobody ever gets fully used to the old one before being spirited away to the new. It causes chaos on all levels.

Lastly, it is no secret that this company has been scoping out the prospects for an IPO. It will probably happen within the next year. There is every reason to believe that once this happens, they will care about their employees even less since they are beholden to shareholders. At that point, there will be an exodus from the company, as many employees are now stably just below their breaking points.

Advice to Management

Read The Phoenix Project again and really try implementing processes that work between departments. Hold your managers accountable for bad decision making abilities. Realize that sometimes simplicity is better than complexity. Pay your employees more or they will keep leaving and taking their knowledge with them.

Jun 26, 2017 – HR Generalist, US, Pennsylvania

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your colleagues during your tenure at Bentley. We are striving to provide managers at all levels with training to ensure our... More

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation. Great to work from home.

Cons

Frequently reorganizes and cuts back on staff.

Jun 22, 2017 – HR Generalist - US West

We appreciate your feedback! At Bentley, we strive to provide an environment where colleagues feel they are valued, treated fairly, and respected. We hope you experienced this during your tenure at... More

9. "Engineer"

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time

Pros

excellent cutting edge technology company

Cons

creates a lot of travel

Jun 16, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for your positive feedback. We are glad that your experience working on and with our technology has been a good one and hope for continued success for you in your career.

"New pay structure is toxic"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time

Pros

A lot of freedom and input on projects. Very little unwanted oversight. Good team that looks out for each other. Ability to work from home, flex hours at your discretion.

Cons

New pay/bonus structure is an absolute train wreck and is costing us good engineers (we've lost 5 on my team alone, while adding none). There are no increases to your base pay, initially. Instead, raises are done through quarterly bonuses, which are tied to the success of the overall company. So if the company doesn't beat it's quarterly goals, your raise is basically meaningless, regardless of your performance.

This system might be more tolerable if the company would consistently be above the thresh-hold that yields us significant payouts, but that has yet to happen.

I've achieved 100% of my goals in the 3 years since working here and cleared nearly $3,000 less pay this past year from my first year due to the implementation of this pay system.

Promotions have become undesirable as moving up the corporate ladder forces you to put a higher percentage of your salary into this bonus system, meaning you stand to lose a higher percentage of your pay if and when the company has a down quarter.

Lastly, there's very little transparency, and we all basically just wait for our quarterly email telling us what trivial amount we're getting paid out that quarter, getting met with disappointment every time.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the convoluted pay system. It's killing employee pay, morale, and trust in the company.

Jun 13, 2017 – HR Generalist, US, Pennsylvania

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that certain aspects of our total rewards plan are satisfying for you.

We currently have a variable pay plan that is meant to motivate our... More