Bentley Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Middle management have problems with communication (in 13 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be improved (in 7 reviews)

"Need to reevaluate management choices"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Exton, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is probably what keeps employees comfortable. When there is a life emergency, bosses seem to be willing to work with you. The colleague relationships and one shining lights with the company.

Cons

When I first started at Bentley I thought it was such a great place. Over time, my opinion has changed. Now it's at the point of wondering why I am still working here.

Everything always seems rushed. Brash decisions are often made and knee jerk reactions seem like the norm.

People are underpaid at an astronomical level, and it is a wonder that people don't leave at a higher rate.

"Promotions" are almost a joke because all decisions seem to be made before any type of interview even takes place. People that do get promotions are all yes men who get all the praise while doing little actual work. The people that are always willing to help and have the knowledge and willingness to be a good leader are overlooked for the person who will toe the company line - over doing what would be considered a win/win situation with users.

Feedback is rarely (probably never is a better word) taken if it's the least bit constructive/negative. It's "safer" to just keep your head down than to voice any concerns.

Morale is probably the lowest it's been in the last 5 or so years because people just feel like the company is more focused on revenues and not focused on what got the company where it is (having great products and treating users like they are fellow human beings).

Advice to Management

When promoting people, make decision based on more than just personal relationship and actually have skiplevel meetings to gauge work ethic of candidates.

Aug 4, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your service over the last decade at Bentley. Bentley’s colleagues are our most valuable resource and we believe in developing and promoting colleagues from within. Our Talent... More

2. "Great Technology"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

v-connected flexibility, amazing technology, top notch technical colleagues

Cons

extremely poor top down communications, terrible conversations and communications on performance and compensation and benefits, confusing strategy and vision

Advice to Management

use positive demeanor and regularly communicate relevant information

Jul 28, 2017 – HR Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback and for your service at Bentley. Colleagues like you help to make Bentley a great place to work. We will continue to strive to improve... More

3. "Quality Assurance Manager"

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bentley Systems treats you as an adult able to do your job without being micro-managed
    you are constantly learning new things and adding to your skill set, thus it is always interesting
    most employees are very dedicated to producing a quality product that meets the needs of their users, which is very gratifying to be a part of.

Cons

Everyone is always busy so sometimes communication is somewhat lacking between groups

Jul 14, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback. Colleagues like you help to make Bentley a great place to work. We will continue to strive to improve communication between groups and teams... More

4. "Great opportunities!"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great opportunities to contribute, tackle projects, travel globally, showcase your strengths, and take on new and challenging work. Unlike other enterprise software companies in this space, Bentley doesn't seem to compartmentalize you into your role and encourages you to reach higher and volunteer for other roles or bigger roles. They also offer great professional development options and encourage you to keep learning and believe in a well-trained staff.

Cons

Being a private company, company success and performance isn't always easy to obtain. Don't pay as much as some other competing software firms.

Advice to Management

Update the employees more frequently on strategy, financial performance, and how our jobs directly impact our company goals.

Jul 11, 2017 – HR Director, Americas and Global Compensation

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! I'm glad to hear you've found opportunities to keep you engaged and challenged. We appreciate your hard work over the years!

5. "Flexible Organization"

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company allows for nice work/life balance.

Cons

Not much opportunity for promotions to higher level positions.

Jul 10, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Many of our colleagues enjoy the learning opportunities that are offered, taking advantage of enhancing their personal and professional growth. We... More

"Agree with New pay structure is toxic"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment. Knowledgeable and friendly coworkers.

Cons

Low pay. Often times no raise. Claims of bonus but to get bonus, need to meet goals, which does not happen often. Terrible communication.

Advice to Management

Increase pay and bonuses, your base is well below the industry average. Then keep providing raises. Software development is a competitive industry, in order to keep good employees, need to pay them what they are worth.

Jul 17, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoy our work environment and the colleagues working at Bentley. We currently have a variable pay plan that is meant to motivate our... More

"Poorly Managed"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

Wide variety of software offerings.

Cons

The sales department is not a good place to be in this firm. Commission structure that is confusing and changes frequently without notice, along with your territory. You won't make any real money until the end of the year if and only if you surpass 100% quota. You spend a lot of time building a pipeline and then have it swiped away and switched to something else. Broad, massive, sweeping knee jerk reaction changes take place every year without intelligent thought or process applied. Good old boy mentality runs rampant throughout the organization. For a software company with progressive products there seems to be a glaring lack of progressive management and sound business principals. Who is steering this ship?

Jul 21, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and we will share it with sales management for their consideration. Feel free to reach out to local HR to discuss your concerns further.

8. "Product Manager"

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time

Pros

Great for work life balance, good learning opportunity, specially for developers

Cons

Don't expect a fast growth, high paying career, this is best for people looking for a stable and decent paying job with good learning experience and great work life balance

Jun 22, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Work Life balance is highly valued by our colleagues based on our colleague engagement survey, and we are glad that you have had a positive experience in that regard.

"Laid-back, low pay on avg, process nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid-back atmosphere--managers will eat with underlings who aren't even their employees. In IT Ops, you definitely feel like you can approach anybody with a question or for insight on a project. Some of the most congenial folk you will ever run into in a company.

Low managerial oversight--this can be really nice for the types who have high work ethic and don't need somebody breathing down their shoulder to deliver great work.

Great people--some of the best of the best work for Bentley, and there are a decent number of them. If you want to learn more, there are plenty of sources happy to mentor you.

A great stepping stone company--they are at the top of their field, have lots of different products, and you can get great experience here to move forward in your career...but you will need to go elsewhere to do it.

Cons

Laid-back atmosphere--you get a lot of 'bare minimum' employees and everybody ultimately relies on the extremely knowledgable 'Brents' of every team (character from The Phoenix Project, a popular book at the company).

Low managerial oversight--unless something goes wrong, you will not stand out no matter how much work you do. There is a phenomenon of the 'incompetent manager' which often gets thrown around in casual conversation like it's a regular thing, which leads to the next point...

Low managerial accountability--Managers aren't held accountable for their decisions except in extreme cases. The 'blame football' gets passed around until everybody is so confused that nobody truly gets blamed and the same problems happen again down the line. If anybody gets blamed, it is the underlings, and in meetings where they aren't invited and can't defend themselves.

Low upward mobility--they hire out-of-house employees more often than promoting internally. On my team, it was impossible to become a 'Senior' level or get paid more, despite doing the same work. Every team's lead struggles to get money for new employees, and this was just recently made even more difficult by closing a loophole they were using to get interns.

Turnover is high--employees leave, but their spaces aren't usually filled. Workloads get cannibalized into existing jobs with no extra pay or recognition.

Low pay--in IT Ops, everybody is getting paid less than competitively. My salary rose by ~50% upon leaving. They get around this by having a 'bonus' you get every year, but it is contingent on the company's performance, and for the last 7 or so years employees have been watching their bonuses dwindle to the point where they only make a few hundred extra dollars each year.

Payroll often makes mistakes--if you are an hourly worker, you need to check your pay every single pay period to make sure you are getting what you deserve. Payroll won't entertain your problems until you get higher-level managers involved. Problems my team had in November didn't even begin to be addressed until February, and we had to push them every step of the way. They changed how worked holiday pay works in the middle of a work year and pretended it had always been that way.

Meetings for the sake of meetings--most meetings could have taken place in a simple email thread with maybe a paragraph.

Nepotism--you will see/hear a lot of the same surnames, including the eponymous one. Interns are relatives of employees more often than not.

Change--usually a good thing, but at this company they change processes and systems so often that nobody ever gets fully used to the old one before being spirited away to the new. It causes chaos on all levels.

Lastly, it is no secret that this company has been scoping out the prospects for an IPO. It will probably happen within the next year. There is every reason to believe that once this happens, they will care about their employees even less since they are beholden to shareholders. At that point, there will be an exodus from the company, as many employees are now stably just below their breaking points.

Advice to Management

Read The Phoenix Project again and really try implementing processes that work between departments. Hold your managers accountable for bad decision making abilities. Realize that sometimes simplicity is better than complexity. Pay your employees more or they will keep leaving and taking their knowledge with them.

Jun 26, 2017 – HR Generalist, US, Pennsylvania

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your colleagues during your tenure at Bentley. We are striving to provide managers at all levels with training to ensure our... More

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation. Great to work from home.

Cons

Frequently reorganizes and cuts back on staff.

Jun 22, 2017 – HR Generalist - US West

We appreciate your feedback! At Bentley, we strive to provide an environment where colleagues feel they are valued, treated fairly, and respected. We hope you experienced this during your tenure at... More