Bergelectric Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Wingerning

1. "Human Resources Manager"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bergelectric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a former employee circa 2006-2008 coming back to work for Berg in 2015 was something that I'm very grateful for. We have a dedicated group of people that are passionate about the work they perform. There are plenty of opportunities for growth. We have several people that have made their way from the field into management roles. For example; Estimators, Detailing, Purchasing, Project Management, our own VP and General Superintendent were promoted from within.

Cons

The only con is that the level of reward is commensurate with the level of experience and knowledge. With that being said, we have very high standards that unskilled candidates cannot fulfill. Our electricians are fully vetted and prospects are often dissuaded by our process. If you cannot prove you are a qualified skilled journeyman then it's difficult to obtain a positon as such. I suppose the only con is for prospects not for people currently working here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, thank you for implementing Holiday pay for all employees and sick pay as well contrary to the assertion another person posted.

2. "journeyman"

Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bergelectric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

it was the best company that i worked at

Cons

they need to do some employee refresher classes for code

3. "If you want anything more than to stay working, you may have a hard time here"

Current Employee - Electrician
    Current Employee - Electrician

I have been working at Bergelectric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are huge so have deep enough pockets to pay well and they get a lot of work so you will stay working

Cons

Too much of a who you know over what you know type of culture.

"electrician"

Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician
    Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician

Pros

I have nothing good to say about this company I can only advise the good employees to go find a good employer as soon as you can.

Cons

These people are the worst micro managers I have ever come across. the managers will smile in your face as they stab you in the back. I was thrown off the job site when I reported a minor injury that was not stopping me from working. It was just something that had to be reported in case it got worse.

Advice to Management

suck it. you can not give advice to people who only care about themselves.

6. "Good place with a good heart"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bergelectric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the company and the people I work with.

Cons

Corporate is slow moving with implementing new processes and are behind the times in meeting the needs of the field. Not a lot of chance for growth as office personnel.

7. "Not bad, not great."

Former Employee - Project Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bergelectric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work with large scale industrial projects.

Cons

Insufficient training, ability to move up is difficult when no one pays attention to your work.

Advice to Management

Make the time to train new employees before mistakes need to be corrected.

8. "Berg Electric"

Former Employee - Apprentice Electrician in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Apprentice Electrician in Portland, OR

I worked at Bergelectric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Successful electrical contractor with lots of work in the Portland, OR area right now. If you are a journeyman electrician or an apprentice, you will find all the work you want with this company. And they are national so movement to different regional offices is also possible if that is something you are interested in. They focus mostly on large, new construction projects, so if that is your interest then this is the place. Again, they have abundant work right now so I think if you're a journeyman electrician this is a great place to work.

Cons

I worked there as an apprentice, and can say that you can very easily get stuck doing the same task for months on end because of the size of the projects that they work on. Good for the company, but bad if you are trying to get a diverse experience as an apprentice so that you are prepared to be a well-rounded journeyman electrician when you turn out. An apprentice might spend 6 months just putting in lights, receptacles, and switches and do nothing else. There was talk last year of a program to diversify the training that apprentices receive, but I don't believe anything ever came of that. Also, no paid vacation for field employees, only office staff, so there is a bit of a divide there.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing in regards to getting new contracts, but really work on diversifying training for apprentices because they will be your electricians in the years to come.

"Foreman"

Current Employee - Foreman in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Foreman in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bergelectric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bergelectric is a big company. They have a lot of work. Berg was busy when the economy was down and continues to land projects.

Cons

Bergelectric cons would be. They do not have paid holidays. No vacation time for field employees. Also the pay seems to be less than other companies.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be. To take care of the field guys. Offer them more incentives to stay.

10. "Electrical Foreman"

Pros

Good pay, typically a decent amount of work.

Cons

Lack of communication and transparency.

"The Wal-Mart of the electrical industry"

Former Employee - Journeyman Electrician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bergelectric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, don't know if there is any

Cons

Production trumps all, at the expense of quality and safety, that's the culture here.
    No employee benefits at all compared to other big companies in the industry, no paid time off for field employees, you pay a premium for health insurance.
    Extremely high turnover rate, that's no surprise as there are a lot better companies out there.

Advice to Management

This is the Wal-Mart of the electrical industry and the management is fine with that because they're making a huge profit while cutting as much as possible from field forces.