Berico Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Good spot"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good existing contracts and opportunities available through the Government and Intelligence Community. Many are IT and systems development related.

Cons

With a contracting firm sometimes the wind of government directly impact opportunities for advancement or job stability. Know this going into contracting if its an issue stick to the govvie side of things.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be in frequent contact with employees who are client side focused. Those not in the HQ can eventually become quite disconnected from the parent firm.

"Great people and engineers, awful leadership at the top"

Current Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the finest engineers and engineering thought leaders in the business. There are many young, talented developers in the company.

Cons

The chief engineer is the most offensive and disruptive person I've ever been on a team with. Mostly just criticizes all of the work others do. The CEO is a micromanager who gets involved in many things she shouldn't and openly tells people how bad off the company is financially to try and motivate them. She constantly criticizes others when they aren't around...it's awful. Absolutely no stability on projects whatsoever. People are also let go or leave the company and it's kept a secret until the person just doesn't show up one day.

The company has cut benefits repeatedly and discourages time off. No pay raises. Hours are insane even when there is little hope of projects succeeding. I'm not sure I've actually witnessed a success while I've been here.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing the CEO to overtake projects. Learn how to responsibly manage a company to retain and recruit top talent. And stop imposing your bad financial decisions on the people doing all of the work.

"Needs better leadership"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people here everyone is very smart. The projects worked on here are really amazing. Also, the potlucks are a thing to mention.

Cons

There is a lot of uncertainty and it definitely comes from the top. This company has a feel of a start up that's 6 months in-no organization.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to change things up on an executive staff level. So many great people have "abandond ship".

4. "Great company with friendly people, *great* benefits, and a bright future"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was with the company for 6 years, left for a year, and came back - so I've been in a number of roles, from requirements engineer, to project manager as a sub (off site), to project manager as a prime, and I've known a lot of folks in the company. Berico is a smaller company, which means you have a lot of flexibility, a lot of say/impact in the future and development of the company (I wanted to start a mentorship program in the company, and was given full support by leadership), and a lot of a "family" atmosphere. I've heard that 80% of a job is the people you work with - and that's why I enjoyed working for Berico. The people are fun, *really* smart, and like to get things done. I've worked on projects which had a *big* impact in the military, but at the end of the day, I really liked working for my team, the CTO, and the CEO. I have a lot of faith in the CEO's plan and vision (even if she doesn't announce it enough), and it really looks like it's working, with more contracts coming through the door all of the time. There's a really good back office (the head of HR is a hoot), and they have gotten me answers whenever I need them. Everyone is hands on (the CTO is currently helping code on my project - mostly because he's insanely smart and knowledgeable), and does what it takes to make the company successful. The CEO is involved in teams - even off-site (she came down several times to spend time and have lunch with my team in Springfield). Did I mention the benefits package? You can't beat our health care!!

Cons

The company has had some rough spots - especially right after sequestration (which hit a lot of defense companies), but it has made it through and is growing. As a smaller company there is more risk, and you may need to build your own position to progress within the company (and it can be hit more by the loss of a contract or two than a large company - which has happened). That being said, future growth may give more career opportunities!

Advice to Management

Communicate more with the rest of the company as to what your vision is, what the current developments are in the company, and what the expected future developments are. Help people have a career path. Figure out a good, standard, feedback/evaluation system.

5. "Small Company with Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recognition and reward for hard work. Relaxed atmosphere. Dedicated co-workers. Interesting projects. Company cares about you and your family. Nice benefits. Really smart people.

Cons

Expect to put in overtime on deadline driven projects. Priorities shift often. Your work will have high visibility; this isn't a place for people looking to clock in and out, going mostly unnoticed. Expect to be responsible for multiple positions, not just your given title.

Advice to Management

Management knows how to make great products and build trusted customer relationships; spend time building skills that will help internal processes.

6. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time

Pros

Very positive atmosphere. Highly professional and competent team. No dysfunction I can see.

Cons

Moving offices and would prefer to stay where I am.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Senior software engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting product line and definitely some neat people on staff. First place I have worked where MacBooks were the norm.

Cons

A lot like high school with all the secret friendships and closed door conversations. No appreciation for living up to agreements, right after I signed my offer and my exit of my current employer I was told my start date was being pushed back a month and a half.. No real concern for the financial position that put me in.

"Great Place, Remarkable Talent, if you like Federal Contracting in the IC space"

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have never worked on a smarter, more talented technical team that at Berico. Their recruiting department is amazing in its ability to find and hire top talent. They also do a lot of very interesting work with big data, visualization and near-bleed-edge opens source tech.

Cons

They want to be agile and lean. In fact they promote it quite a bit, but at the end of the day, they are a federal contractor and billing hours is more important than working efficiently. Their bonus structure and management mentality all center on that.

Advice to Management

First learn and demonstrate a deep understanding of Agile yourselves by using agile management practices to run the company. Granted you need to follow GAAP for reporting to the feds and stuff but you don't need to use it for management accounting. Try inovation accounting or value based account (See Steve Denning's articles in Forbes) and stop using cost based accounting for decision making.

"Terrific Company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking leadership, benefits package very competitive, company paid training is encouraged yearly for your career growth

Cons

Small company so promotions may be limited depending on your role

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to grow the company, my time working with you was enjoyable

"Worst Job Ever!!!!!"

Current Employee - Mid-Level in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mid-Level in Washington, DC

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits used to be amazing, but they cut way back due to their declining business.

Cons

CEO is extremely nepotistic in leadership position hiring. Promotion from within is non-existent which has caused great talent to depart. If you aren't billing you are at risk. It's all about butts in seat!!!

Advice to Management

Bring in fresh blood from the top down in all leadership positions.