Berico Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Marybeth Wootton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Exciting company with a friendly atmosphere"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA

Pros

Upper management keeps everyone in the loop
    Everyone is optimistic, even during failure
    They make new employees feel like they are part of a family
    They provide developers with the tools they need to get the job done

Cons

For obvious reasons, they keep vital information secure, especially after a break in that made it onto news sites a while ago. This can make some actions harder, but it never effected me as much.

Advice to Management

Keep doing as you have been doing by making Berico a great place to work. I enjoyed my time there and will look back fondly.

"Fantastic Opportunity for Career Growth"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Berico has some insanely smart engineers who are dedicated to open source technology. I really appreciate how approachable even the most senior developers in the company are. I had a chance to get to know a lot of the engineering team (being a geek myself) and was consistently impressed with the level of expertise demonstrated in UI/UX, and software design. If you're the type of person that likes to experiment with new, open source technology, then this is the place for you. Keep in mind, that with that kind of bleeding-edge technology, comes a lot of paper-cuts.

I would say you'll find 3 areas of expertise within the engineering staff:

1. Enterprise Messaging
    The Berico engineers I rubbed shoulders with, have some pretty mad enterprise messaging skills. Not a lot of teams that I know of doing publish-subscribe with RabbitMQ right from the browser.

2. Web Development (UI/UX)
    I didn't get to know the web teams as much but in my group we had one of the foremost AngularJS engineers I've ever met. Berico easily has some of the best looking and most well-thought UI I've ever seen.

3. Cloud/Virtualization
    The systems engineering team were the types that knew OpenStack, oVirt, or VMWare so well, they were committing fixes back to the projects themselves. Top notch engineering team. Wish I could take them wherever I went.

Cons

Like many small to mid-sized consulting firms, Berico has suffered a bit from the heavy cuts in the defense department. Tough to work when no contracts are being awarded anywhere. On the other hand, Berico has just started landing some key contracts which should help out a lot.

With a sole focus on defense, downturns can have their negative effects. I think Berico has figured this out and is expanding its reach to other fields.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on diversification and product development. The talent is there to build out some top notch products.

"Terrific Company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking leadership, benefits package very competitive, company paid training is encouraged yearly for your career growth

Cons

Small company so promotions may be limited depending on your role

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to grow the company, my time working with you was enjoyable

"Great Place for Growth"

Pros

I have been working at Berico for a little while now and I have to say I love it. I was a little nervous at first because I am surrounded by some very smart individuals. Also, I had read some not so favorable comments on glassdoor about that the company. I have come to find out that was during a time when the company was going through some major changes (sequestration was accruing as well). That time was a bad time for all government contractors. Also, people who work hard actually get rewarded and recognized for their contributions! Thumbs up. Great place to work. (also super flexible about hours)

Cons

The office space could use a little work.

5. "Great Place to Work! Awesome People and Projects!"

Pros

Great opportunity, the company is in growth mode and has a lot of cool projects! If your skill sets and experience are adaptable you do have the ability to work on more than one project (the other reviewer may not have had the dimensions needed to do this). Benefits are great, there was a change a couple years ago, however all benefits have been reinstated and the health care is cheap compared to every other position I have had. Work life balance is good. CEO and management team are very approachable. Over the last few years , mainly due to sequestration, the company did go through a reorg and has come out with a new management team that is down to earth. Some of the smartest folks I have worked with. The kitchen is stocked with food and snacks! Great place to showcase your talents and reap rewards. Monthly recognition of employees who have been recommended by their peers.

Cons

Since I must enter five words for cons, it is hard to work inside on sunny days. Honestly I don't have any cons at this time.

Advice to Management

I think management should keep on the track they are on. Ensuring they continue to bring in top talent, communicate with employees, continue winning new work and focusing on making Berico one of the best places I have worked at.

6. "Solid Company with Growing Opportunities"

Pros

Company experienced some downsizing as a result of Sequestration but has now fully recovered with several new opportunities on the horizon. Team oriented, flexible work environment, great benefits, what's not to like?!

Cons

Hmm, really have to enter 5 words when one will do? None

Advice to Management

Continue to recruit Berico caliber talent and pursue exciting/impactful new work.

7. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time

Pros

Very positive atmosphere. Highly professional and competent team. No dysfunction I can see.

Cons

Moving offices and would prefer to stay where I am.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Small Company with Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recognition and reward for hard work. Relaxed atmosphere. Dedicated co-workers. Interesting projects. Company cares about you and your family. Nice benefits. Really smart people.

Cons

Expect to put in overtime on deadline driven projects. Priorities shift often. Your work will have high visibility; this isn't a place for people looking to clock in and out, going mostly unnoticed. Expect to be responsible for multiple positions, not just your given title.

Advice to Management

Management knows how to make great products and build trusted customer relationships; spend time building skills that will help internal processes.

9. "Awesome Company!"

Pros

My job is really interesting and keeps me busy but doesn't bog me down with unbelievable OT. I'm always learning new things. The paid time off is the best I've ever had in any company. The health insurance is also the best and least cost to employees. My boss keeps me well informed of company matters and doesn't go off even when I screw up.

Cons

401K match is good, though I've seen better.

Advice to Management

Thanks for keeping everyone informed of where the company is and where we are going. With our waffling US Congress you never know if military funding is going to increase one day or decrease the next. You've managed to keep us afloat. I expect great growth spurt in near future!

10. "Cool company, cool work, smart co-workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy it here. The are a lot of smart, talented people. I have learned a lot from everyone. The company is cool and they care about employees. Benefits are great. Even with all the new work/projects it still has a good feel. The company is customer/mission focused and we do work that has real impact.

Cons

I don't have any cons - with training benefits and 401K match (vested day 1), a great atmosphere, stocked kitchen who could complain.

Advice to Management

I like the all hands meeting and update emails form the CEO, keep those up.