Berico Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Marybeth Wootton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great people and engineers, awful leadership at the top"

Current Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the finest engineers and engineering thought leaders in the business. There are many young, talented developers in the company.

Cons

The chief engineer is the most offensive and disruptive person I've ever been on a team with. Mostly just criticizes all of the work others do. The CEO is a micromanager who gets involved in many things she shouldn't and openly tells people how bad off the company is financially to try and motivate them. She constantly criticizes others when they aren't around...it's awful. Absolutely no stability on projects whatsoever. People are also let go or leave the company and it's kept a secret until the person just doesn't show up one day.

The company has cut benefits repeatedly and discourages time off. No pay raises. Hours are insane even when there is little hope of projects succeeding. I'm not sure I've actually witnessed a success while I've been here.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing the CEO to overtake projects. Learn how to responsibly manage a company to retain and recruit top talent. And stop imposing your bad financial decisions on the people doing all of the work.

2. "Good spot"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good existing contracts and opportunities available through the Government and Intelligence Community. Many are IT and systems development related.

Cons

With a contracting firm sometimes the wind of government directly impact opportunities for advancement or job stability. Know this going into contracting if its an issue stick to the govvie side of things.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be in frequent contact with employees who are client side focused. Those not in the HQ can eventually become quite disconnected from the parent firm.

"Great Company, But Underpaid for UK"

Former Employee - Mid-Level Intelligence Analyst in Molesworth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Intelligence Analyst in Molesworth, England (UK)

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits and 401k match program.
    Yearly bonus, and percentage bonus if you meet hourly requirements.
    Very communicative HQ.

Cons

Very underpaid for living in the UK. There is no housing allowance, and no cost of living allowance. We are paid at least $10,000 less than any other contract on base.
    To get 100% of the percentage bonus, you have to not take half of your leave allowance.

Advice to Management

Pay more. The bonus at the end of the year is not enough to make up for the pay difference.

"I was happy to be there but not happy to work there."

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with friends. The employees at Berico are some of the best people to work with. The work was very challenging which I enjoyed. Lastly I felt as though my pay was slightly above other organizations.

Cons

Way way way way too much work to do to catch up. People are leaving because the work load is way too high. I felt as though the company has no direction.

Advice to Management

Take to heart why people are leaving and fix it. I think there is still time to fix the problem.

5. "Awesome Company!"

Pros

My job is really interesting and keeps me busy but doesn't bog me down with unbelievable OT. I'm always learning new things. The paid time off is the best I've ever had in any company. The health insurance is also the best and least cost to employees. My boss keeps me well informed of company matters and doesn't go off even when I screw up.

Cons

401K match is good, though I've seen better.

Advice to Management

Thanks for keeping everyone informed of where the company is and where we are going. With our waffling US Congress you never know if military funding is going to increase one day or decrease the next. You've managed to keep us afloat. I expect great growth spurt in near future!

"Needs better leadership"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people here everyone is very smart. The projects worked on here are really amazing. Also, the potlucks are a thing to mention.

Cons

There is a lot of uncertainty and it definitely comes from the top. This company has a feel of a start up that's 6 months in-no organization.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to change things up on an executive staff level. So many great people have "abandond ship".

7. "Great company with friendly people, *great* benefits, and a bright future"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was with the company for 6 years, left for a year, and came back - so I've been in a number of roles, from requirements engineer, to project manager as a sub (off site), to project manager as a prime, and I've known a lot of folks in the company. Berico is a smaller company, which means you have a lot of flexibility, a lot of say/impact in the future and development of the company (I wanted to start a mentorship program in the company, and was given full support by leadership), and a lot of a "family" atmosphere. I've heard that 80% of a job is the people you work with - and that's why I enjoyed working for Berico. The people are fun, *really* smart, and like to get things done. I've worked on projects which had a *big* impact in the military, but at the end of the day, I really liked working for my team, the CTO, and the CEO. I have a lot of faith in the CEO's plan and vision (even if she doesn't announce it enough), and it really looks like it's working, with more contracts coming through the door all of the time. There's a really good back office (the head of HR is a hoot), and they have gotten me answers whenever I need them. Everyone is hands on (the CTO is currently helping code on my project - mostly because he's insanely smart and knowledgeable), and does what it takes to make the company successful. The CEO is involved in teams - even off-site (she came down several times to spend time and have lunch with my team in Springfield). Did I mention the benefits package? You can't beat our health care!!

Cons

The company has had some rough spots - especially right after sequestration (which hit a lot of defense companies), but it has made it through and is growing. As a smaller company there is more risk, and you may need to build your own position to progress within the company (and it can be hit more by the loss of a contract or two than a large company - which has happened). That being said, future growth may give more career opportunities!

Advice to Management

Communicate more with the rest of the company as to what your vision is, what the current developments are in the company, and what the expected future developments are. Help people have a career path. Figure out a good, standard, feedback/evaluation system.

8. "Small Company with Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recognition and reward for hard work. Relaxed atmosphere. Dedicated co-workers. Interesting projects. Company cares about you and your family. Nice benefits. Really smart people.

Cons

Expect to put in overtime on deadline driven projects. Priorities shift often. Your work will have high visibility; this isn't a place for people looking to clock in and out, going mostly unnoticed. Expect to be responsible for multiple positions, not just your given title.

Advice to Management

Management knows how to make great products and build trusted customer relationships; spend time building skills that will help internal processes.

9. "Fast-paced small business with lofty ambitions"

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative engineering and solid, on-site Government services that fetch high praise from customers.
    We all like to have fun, but when it is time to execute a deliverable, everyone rolls up their sleeves to go above and beyond.
    HQ location has a tight, family-like culture, with group activities and happy hours.
    Visibility to management with opportunity for promotion and expanding experience.

Cons

Small team = wearing many hats. If you like to "stay in your swim lane" and just clock in and out, this is not the place for you.

10. "Good choice for web developers in the DC area."

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time

Pros

One of the few federal contractors in the area who truly care about their software engineering discipline. Most of the software development here is done in JavaScript with some Java and .Net thrown into the mix. You see a healthy amount of up-to-date tools being used in the web department. Ember, Angular, ES6 and 7 (through Babel), D3, vector assets, NodeJS, NoSQL etc... and developers are working on new Macbook Pros. On most (but not all) teams the management is lightweight enough to get out of the way and let the developers do what they do best. And you get to work with some very smart people.

The pay and benefits are good, and they are really flexible about work from home.

Cons

In my time here there have been some stability issues related to government closures and spending. We lost people but now we're seeing growth again. In a few cases people have left due to disagreements with project management, but I believe that most people here now are happy.

Advice to Management

Remember that we are able to get things done because we have good autonomous engineers. Continue to remove development obstacles and we'll continue to get stuff done.