Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Susan N. Grady

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great Decision to Join This Company!"

I have been working at Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company feel with very strong, stable parent company backing. Great employees who care deeply about doing the right thing for our customers and each other. Excellent benefits and work life balance. Senior management is engaging employees in the process of changing the culture and the energy of the business in a positive way.

Cons

Lots of change, even good changes, can be challenging for some.

Advice to Management

More communication. It is rapidly improving, but you can never over-communicate.

2. "Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family Friendly Work Environment and Good Support

Cons

Large learning curve if you don't know the industry

""Think twice""

Former Employee - Business Intelligence in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance and friendly colleagues.

Cons

Poor leadership. Happiness does not exist within working hours which makes it not surprising to see how much turn around there is within the team. If you're looking to grow your career, this might not be the right place for you!!

Advice to Management

None

"High Turnover"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wages are average and ok place to get some experience. Its a job that pays the bills for now, but most employees, including me, are looking to leave. If you have no degree or a degree from an online school, congrats! you're going to get hired here.

Cons

Company is in constant state of flux and leadership turns a blind eye to their own lack of effectiveness. It's been the same message for three years now that we are getting better and finding our brand, but the truth is that agents look to Berkley as a bottom feeder and prefer to work with other carriers. I overheard in the ladies room one of the summer interns say she was disappointed that she got stuck with this internship. Appears we are attracting some low caliber new hires in underwriting. We lost 50% of the sales force within the last couple weeks as they've seen the writing on the wall.

With so much turnover, It's clear the leaders coming in over the last three years are the rejects from their previous employer.

Advice to Management

Berkley Corp. needs to clean this house up and replace leadership with a qualified management team. As Susan Grady has communicated, there are no bad teams, just bad team leaders; Well Susan, practice what you preach and replace the leaders because its still not working after three years.

Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group Response

Jul 6, 2017

Feedback is a gift, it is how we shape and grow for our customers and each other. We strive to bring clarity and understanding while continuing to build on a culture committed to our core values and... More

5. "Good People"

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with day to day. Given responsibility and authority to get job done. Great relationships with fellow employees better than any other company previously. Great work life balance.

Cons

Expectations can be a mystery at times.

6. "Small Commercial Underwriter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Good Pay, Up and Coming Organization backed by a stable parent company, Flexible Schedule, Ample vacation time, Commitment to Success

Cons

Newer Organization with developing guidelines

Advice to Management

Continue to be understanding of the opportunities to grow and create a culture of collective teamwork

7. "Supportive company"

Pros

Extremely nice people who a great to work with every day. The senior leadership is very approachable and focused on leading the company in the right direction. Benefits package is strong and work/life balance is very good.

Cons

There are not many cons to working at BMAG - the company is going through changes to make it even better. There is a lot of change happening, but it is all to make the business better.

"Poor Leadership, Scandals, Low Pay"

Former Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get your training.

Cons

Poor pay, poor management.

Advice to Management

Learn to compete and learn to build meaningful relationships with your retailers.

"Commercial Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Representative II in Gastonia, NC
    Former Employee - Claims Representative II in Gastonia, NC

I worked at Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are a good company to work for, with a manageable work load and excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

At times, they tend to micromanage employees, but this is more of an exception than the rule.

"Think Twice"

Pros

Referral Underwriters are good to work with.

Cons

Toxic atmosphere. Very little room for advancement. Technology is behind that of the competitors. Very segmented and disorganized. High turnover rate. President and senior management does not adhere to the Core Values that are developed. Very little communication between management and various departments. Considerable finger pointing at front line staff by President of the Company. Corporate direction is unclear and constantly changing. Different set of standards depending on your role, position and office. If you have ideas and suggestions for improvement they are rarely taken seriously. Very little training and employee education / development. Internal resources are very limited. Little potential for career advancement within the Company. The CEO is not Kevin Nattrass and has not been Kevin Nattrass for three years.

Advice to Management

Clean house at the top and start over.