Berkshire Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Berkshire Communities CEO Chuck Leitner
Chuck Leitner

Pros
  • A company that put importance of a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Amazing company that offers great benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I have no cons to share about Berkshire (in 9 reviews)

• I pay more for Cigna health insurance than I did with Aetna at my old company, and receive less coverage in return (in 3 reviews)

1. "Property Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive company, resources and technology. Fun atmosphere and many opportunities to learn.

Cons

more job fairs and exposure in industry events, tradeshows etc.

Advice to Management

continue to help grow future leaders within the company

2. "Amazing Team"

Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started with Berkshire Communities a couple of months ago and it has been an amazing so far. Everyone is always willing to help from training department all the way up to senior management. I have NEVER worked for a company that is so thoughtful to their employees and are always looking for feedback on what they can do on there end to improve new hire experience. Truly an amazing company to work for and the benefits are the best around.

Cons

Everything has been amazing so far!

3. "A Great Company with Amazing People and Infinite Possibilities"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I began with Berkshire a little over four years ago, and I have no regrets. I started as a leasing director and I am now a property manager. At every stage of my employment, there has been opportunity to grow, learn, and to develop myself and my career. There is on-going and open access to training. Employees at all levels are encouraged to participate in a way that fosters inclusion and promotes personal development. We have a great 401K match and flexible insurance options that are affordable and well-covered. Compensation and recruitment is highly-competitive, which means that I get to work with top-notch talent every single day. It is great to work for an organization that is supportive and progressive, and always puts people first.

Cons

At the present time, I have zero cons.

5. "Berkshire = Family"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Berkshire is such an enjoyable experience. Like any job, you'll have your ups and downs, but overall, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with Berkshire. Despite being a national company, it feels like family. I wake up looking forward to going to work 99% of the time. The other 1% I've just woken up on the wrong side of the bed. Berkshire is home! I cannot imagine working for another company.

Other Pros:
    A+ Benefits
    Quarterly + annual bonuses (based on property performance)
    Leasing Commissions

Cons

I seriously can't think of any.

6. "Best Place To Work - Evah!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Berkshire Communities is like working with your best friends and family. Our Corporate folks have a management style that would be considered Servant Leadership. They provide us with all of the tools to make us successful. Our pay scale is excellent, in addition to the bonus' and other perks that make our life easy. We are recognized for our achievements.

Cons

We are spread out across the country - not really a con. However, we are brought together every year during our Leadership Conference. For four days, we are wined, dined, and are given the opportunity to give back to the community.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. From our founders Douglas and George Krupp, to Chuck Leitner, to Tom Rucker, to Cathy Robinson down to our Regional Manager Rick Briemann - you will find genuine people who care about you!

7. "When you love the people you work with, it's no longer called work!"

Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Berkshire Communities for 10+ years and have enjoyed every bit of it. I have seen the company transition over the years. But one thing always remand was that Berkshire is more than a company...it's a family! They have given me the opportunity to grow from a Resident Services position upon hiring, to now being a Property Manager for over the past 10 years. Although I had to leave for a short period due to a sale, I was more than ecstatic when they reached out to me for a position that become available. Berkshire gives you the tools, support and opportunity to grow from within and they definitely recognize dedication and hard work. I am truly grateful for the opportunities I have been given and cannot see myself anywhere else than here.

I don't know any other Company where the President/Head of Operations knows you by name. It goes to show that hard work does not go unnoticed, no matter your position in the company.

Cons

The only cons are that off-site promotion possibilities are scarce due to limited properties in certain regions. In addition, since the newer properties that are being bought are much smaller it would be great to have more on-site support especially when planning vacations and time off. That can be a challenge when your staff is 5 people or less.

Advice to Management

Buy more properties! There are a lot of talented property managers who need positions to grow into. Other than that keep doing what you're doing.

"Amazing employer."

Former Employee - Senior Property Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Property Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very important to them to have Balance in family and work. They show appreciation for the employees in small and big ways.

Cons

Not really sure of any Cons, the only one I can think of is traveling so much for training but it can also be fun

"A Company That Truly Cares! If you're looking for a place to work where it doesn't fell like work, look no further!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard work doesn't go unnoticed.

Cons

I currently have no cons.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was tough as Berkshire is very selective. However, the process was absolutely worth it! I am so impressed with everyone I have met as well as the company culture. I am a new employee and I was welcomed with open arms and made to feel like I was part of the team from day one! I can't say enough about the kindness of everyone I have met from on site staff to Vice Presidents. I am so glad that I was offered this position and I accepted it. I have been in this business for quite some time and can honestly say I feel like I won the work lottery with Berkshire Communities!

Cons

There are not any so far!

11. "Company review"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at Berkshire Communities part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sense of family and caring community.

Cons

I don't have any cons yet!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!