Berkshire Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Berkshire Communities CEO Chuck Leitner
Chuck Leitner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A company that put importance of a work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Amazing company that offers great benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I have no cons to share about Berkshire (in 9 reviews)

• Right now I cannot think of anything (in 3 reviews)

1. "Best Company that Values and Promotes their Employees"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment where you feel appreciated and known within the company. They offer great support systems and the leadership really cares about their people. They also really promote hard work and make sure people are recognized for their contributions and they push to promote internally before hiring outside candidates.

Cons

Since we are still growing our portfolio, we are working through a lot of kinks in the policies so right now there is just a lot of 'being on your toes' because things are evolving due to the growth.

2. "Berkshire"

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time

Pros

Team oriented. Lots of training. Good work to life balance. Under the right manager you can really grow.

Cons

Promotions can take awhile. Training can be a lot of reading before you get hands on. Can be a bit clic-ish.

Advice to Management

Corp should Listen more to on site employees. Utilize current employees to their best strength and promote from within the company.

3. "Home SWEET Home"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This will be lengthy, my apologies.

My story begins in the NW suburbs of Chicago, while I was managing a 732-unit property for a smaller, IL based company. I was severely unhappy working with a company that did not value their talent. An industry friend reached out and said he was going to be leaving his Property Manager post at a nearby location, would I be interested? But one thing, the property will be listed for sale within two years (part of a close-ended fund that had an expiration date).

My wife and I had wanted to move out of IL for a while but hadn't worked hard yet at finding opportunities. I began researching Berkshire Communities, and they had portfolios is every major market the missus and I had discussed calling our new home. Everyone I spoke to that was affiliated with Berkshire had this strange, positive affection for the company so I decided to take a leap of faith.

My mindset; I can carry the asset through the disposition and be super successful and hopefully get transferred, OR if my performance is not top-notch we could use the stay bonus to relocate and part ways amicably.

I fell in love. The company culture is amazing. Berkshire Communities has the right people in the right positions. The benefits are outstanding. They value everyone in each role, mentor them, develop them, and actually care about them.

I began to get nervous about the disposition and worry what would happen if I could not stay on with them. Amazingly we had an acquisition in the pipeline in Austin, TX, that lined up closely with the sale. The amazing regional management team worked with me to acquire the PM role there and they also assisted with relocation.

Happy Ending time, still with the company after 3.5 years. I feel appreciated, I feel accomplished, I feel happy. I've built strong relationships all over the country with other PM's, Regional Managers, and VP's. Our annual leadership conference is an absolute joyous gathering of like minds that is fun to watch.

If you are mulling over an opportunity to join Berkshire Communities, please reach out to any current or former employees to get feedback before making the final decision. You will be impressed.

Cons

Nothing that stands out considerably.

"Hands down the best company that I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong, supportive leadership; close knit feelings between sister properties; life work balance at its greatest. Great pay and excellent benefits.

Cons

None! Love being apart of the caring company! Berkshire welcomes feedback and strives to consistently create the feeling of "we are in this together" mentality.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

5. "Assistant"

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

I haven't seen promotion with in.

Advice to Management

None

"Pure Excellence"

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Berkshire Communities culture is absolutely amazing. Regional/Executive teams go the extra mile to make sure the on site teams know they are cared for and supported.

Cons

Cons are so minor, they are not even worth listing. You will not be disappointed in joining this family.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

7. "One big family!"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is so refreshing working for a company that values its employees as much as Berkshire does! They truly care for the residents and everyone on the team regardless of position.

Cons

Right now I cannot think of anything. Still new to the company, but everything has been running smoothly and organized.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Only thing I would suggest is bring your dog to work day. Ha!

"Property Manager, Norwood MA"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Norwood, MA

I worked at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Berkshire is second to none! It's a large national company with a culture that makes it feel like a smaller company, due primarily to the upper management/training/regional folks who truly are down-to-earth, take a personal interest in you & are extremely friendly, welcoming & supportive. Even the founders, George & Douglas Krupp meet & greet you as if you're old friends. It's a very progressive company in the sense that they are not only technologically cutting edge, but they strive to unburden the onsite folks of "tasks" & allow them to focus strictly on performance & results. Performance is truly recognized & highly rewarded. We were a low priority on their totem pole of valued assets & in disposition for 4 years but nonetheless won awards as "Property of the Year" for 2 years in a row. Training is superior. Camaraderie is promoted amongst managers & all team members. I made many lifelong friends at Berkshire. It's a fun atmosphere. Rick, Cathy, Tom, Janet & Tandi are the best in the industry & do an outstanding job at mentoring & leading their team. It's not only a very welcoming environment but one that hears & listens to onsite folks. I recognized some issues that were actually detrimental to our progress, challenged the status quo & presented a solution that was controversial. Lo & behold, upper management listened & allowed me the latitude to proceed! And it worked. They do not micro-manage! They practice, encourage & develop true leadership. I've worked for all the top companies, and none compare to Berkshire in my experience! Awesome company!

Cons

Company has changed direction since I started. They now seem to buy & hold; developing/purchasing acquisitions in core markets only. My property was one of the last from their former direction of value add, & sell. Property was sold & no opportunity to stay on with them. I would have stayed with Berkshire forever, as I finally had found my "home", but no local opportunities. No more "B" suburban properties, just A++ in urban markets. Very beneficial for Berkshire's growth, but sad to have had to leave, as many others have had to as well.

Advice to Management

Never lose that "small company" aura

"Great Company-Lots of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Berkshire Communities is a wonderful company that has offered growth for my career and has made the work environment very pleasent. I have noticed that the employees (whether in corporate or onsite) Berkshire has to offer is truly genuine and cares about helping each other out and going above and beyond. I have been working for them for over a year now and they offer great training and tools to make sure you understand their policies so their is no confusion. I have recently been accepted in the Property Manager in Training program and its been a great ride so far. The requirements make sure you understand protocols, contacts, and what the Managers "hat" feels like when your wearing it. A program like this is exactly what more companies should offer to help with your confidence in taking the next step. Personally, I am always looking for the next challenge. I love staying with a company for a while, but that doesn't mean complacency in my book. Another amazing perk is their benefits, they go above and beyond to make sure their employees are taken care of, more than enough vacation/sick and roll over time to help you balance out work/personal.

Cons

It may be more helpful for onsite if Berkshire offered more training tools for the maintenance team

Advice to Management

Please always have employees gatherings/ events to continue making us strong as a company. Not many companies work to get the sites together anymore, and I truly appreciate this about Berkshire.

"An amazing place to grow!"

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Team support
    -Great Training Programs
    -Amazing mentors
    -Rent Discount at any Berkshire community! (Not only at the property where you're employed)
    -Quarterly bonuses
    -Delinquency Bonuses
    -Leasing and Renewal bonuses
    -Great work / life balance
    -Growth opportunities and training
    -401 K Matching

It is certainly an incredible company to work for! From the onsite team to the corporate office, everyone is extremely approachable and supportive. It is nice to be able to reach out to anyone in the company and get a quick response. My review of Berkshire wouldn't be complete if I didn't mention my manager, who has made a WORLD of a difference in my life. Her work ethic, dedication, and management style inspires me each day. Although I'm extremely happy to know her work is noticed and she is moving on to another position at Berkshire, the selfish part of me wishes to keep her as my manager for years to come!
    I cannot wait to see what the future holds for the Northern CA team!!!
    What an exciting company to be a part of!!!

Cons

-We do not have many properties in Northern California , which limits our growth opportunities.