Berry Appleman & Leiden Reviews

Updated May 10, 2021

3.9
Berry Appleman & Leiden Managing Partner Jeremy Fudge
Jeremy Fudge
Pros
  • "Flexible work environment, overtime pay(in 17 reviews)

• "Quite unique for a law firm to have this and really grateful for this type of leadership at the company(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "will be additional higher difficulty cases generally reserved for senior paralegals that somehow fall onto the laps of(in 31 reviews)

• "During the AOS crunch there was no work life balance, but it is immigration law and the Visa Bulletin is unpredictable unfortunately(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Welcoming environment and meaningful work

Feb 24, 2021 - Immigration Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The hiring process went quickly and I was very happy with the level of communication and respect I received from the recruiter. Many of the other jobs I applied to made me feel like I was begging them to give me a chance, but BAL made me feel like my skills and time were valuable. I appreciated that change. - Company-wide emphasis on culture and excellence (almost to the point of being cheesy) but it does help new hires with no imm experience feel like we can approach our managers with questions and get the necessary training and guidance to learn the processes. - There's something so cool about knowing that your 9:00-5:00 job is directly helping hardworking people come into your country and build a life here. It's really meaningful, even on frustrating days!

Cons

- Most paralegal/imm assistant positions involve very little research or independent analysis, so the work can feel rote sometimes. - Work comes in waves, largely dependent on the government's immigration policies in any given month (how many visas they make available; whether it's H-1B cap season, etc.) so it takes a while to find a routine.

Sr. Manager Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your comments. I'm so glad that you are enjoying working at BAL! And yes, our work does have a direct impact on great, hardworking people and the companies they are coming into. I'm glad you are here.

2. 5.0

Attorney

May 6, 2021 - Attorney in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay good benefits good training

Cons

Bad culture long hours no move up

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

It's OK if you are an hourly employee

Apr 28, 2021 - Paralegal
      Business Outlook

Pros

BAL will hire people with little to no office experience so its a great place to start. If you're lucky enough to get a real desk its a nice workspace. I was fortunate enough to have a very good transparent relationship with my direct manager. I think it's very easy to transition to a new role or move up the ladder, you have ton of resources for growth. Co workers are friendly.

Cons

We are always being pushed to 'be exceptional' yet the firm does not reciprocate. Pay, health insurance, and other benefits for non salaried employees are just ok. Below average when it comes to vacation days. Additionally strange things are micro managed, partner approval is required if you want to skip lunch and leave 30 minutes early to get to an appointment. There is definitely a problem when it comes to workload. Overtime is not something that gets approved much anymore and there is simply to much to do and respond to given our service agreements with clients so just about everyone eats hours to avoid not meeting performance metrics .

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fortunate to work here

May 3, 2021 - Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Open environment to make a change. If something isn't working or there could be improvements, leadership is open to hearing your thoughts and may actually implement your plan. I have never worked a company/firm where this was the case at a manager and below level.

Cons

On the flip side, if you aren't open to change, this may not be the place for you. BAL is regularly looking at their processes/ structure and testing them to create a constantly improving environment.

2 people found this review helpful

Sr. Manager Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your comments. Yes, one of our best assets at BAL besides our great people, is our leadership willingness to hear ideas and try new things. Thanks again!

5. 4.0

Great Workplace & Company Culture

Mar 15, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best part of BAL is the people. I worked at both the Dallas and Tysons Corner locations, and the people I met along the way made everything worthwhile. An added bonus in the Dallas office is the vast scope of coworkers and continued injections of energy from the likes of Jeremy Fudge! The company culture is something I still miss and haven't found anywhere before or since!

Cons

As an administrative assistant, the work can be very repetitive, and you're so busy there is little time to take advantage of the trainings offered during the day to grow further.

2 people found this review helpful

Sr. Manager Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I agree about the people being one of the best things about BAL. There is a sense of family here, which is what makes our culture so great. Everyone here is willing to help the new folks succeed! We are in the early stages of a new initiative to provide everyone with opportunity to build on their skillsets. Leadership is open to new and 'out of the box' thinking to find new ways to pursue excellence for all. That's forward thinking for sure! I hope you will consider coming back in the near future.

6. 4.0

New Employee

May 3, 2021 - Immigration Assistant/Paralegal in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

So much growth opportunity here at BAL. There is always someone reaching out to help you which is great for a new hire.

Cons

You are consistently busy so there is no down time. However, I am new so just learning. I am sure once trained fully I will be able to manage my time much better. Right now I just have a million things coming at me all at once.

Sr. Manager Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Yes, the pace here is fast! I'm glad you are finding support from others. One of the best things for me about BAL is the people. Everyone wants to see you succeed!

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent company that strives to improve

Apr 22, 2021 - Immigration Paralegal in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’d rate somewhere between 3-4 stars. BAL really cares about employees and truly puts in effort to connect with employees and improve. This is a great place to start out as there is plenty of support, training and structure.

Cons

I found the structure to be suffocating and inefficient at times. As someone who came to the role with an immigration background, I had to completely conform to BAL’s methods and disregard my prior experience as it had no place on my team. I felt some of the trainings and internal structure were elementary in approach and too much “hand holding”. No room for personal initiative, creativity or growth which is why I ultimately left.

Sr. Manager Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to create a review. I am glad to see that you find BAL to care for their employees, which is the most important aspect of our success. I also appreciate your thoughts on how we might be better. Thanks.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to Have Your Soul to Die

Apr 15, 2021 - Staff Attorney
      Business Outlook

Pros

some of the people, until they burn out and leave. Average employee tenure here is 2 years. The pro is you can eventually escape.

Cons

This place is rotting to the core with incompetent, duplicitous, and inhumane management. If you work hard and outwork low performers by 2-3X casework, but forget to suck up to the right people, you will definitely make less than low performers. Pay in general is significantly below market. Attorneys are underpaid by at least 5 figures compared to their rival firms. If anything goes wrong middle management never takes accountability, always points to the attorneys. The firm's crown jewel of an account is being run into the ground as dozens of people have left in just a year. The client can tell when 4 legal teams introduce themselves for a case that should take 3 months, and say their predecessors are working on a new project. LOL! Oh and paralegals are told not to work extra without overtime, but also have to explain overtime, and know too much OT will hinder their chances of promotions (out-billing the average billing per pl by more than 250% is irrelevant).

10 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0

Opinion as a Recent Hire

Apr 2, 2021 - Paralegal I in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Very thorough training program - everyone trains for 2 weeks and they are open to hiring entry levels with little to no actual immigration experience - In personal experience, very friendly coworkers/management and a lot of support - Fun, designed offices (not a typical law firm feel) - Ability to work 50% at home / in office due to COVID - Fairly transparent salary structure / equity across company - Focus on DE&I

Cons

- Low vacation benefits for hourly employees (start at 2 weeks) - So far, haven't experienced much of a fun/collaborative office environment (but I'm hoping that is mostly due to COVID and will improve!) - Was hoping for a slightly higher salary given SF Bay Area location

Sr. Manager Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your comments. Glad you found our new hire training to be thorough. Also, the office design does make it a fun work environment. It will be great when we are all able to get back into the office. Welcome!

10. 5.0

First Law Firm Where I've Felt Comfortable

Apr 26, 2021 - Law Clerk in Richardson, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Understanding leadership, empowering and communicative manager, fun office environment, great co-workers, interesting work, ability to interact with people from all around the world, emphasis on pro-bono work, no need to talk about golf or football <3

Cons

None that I have come across as of yet.

Sr. Manager Talent Acquisition

First of all, welcome to BAL! We are so glad you are with us. I particularly liked your note about empowerment. I find that BAL gives people the chance to own their own business and provides goals but doesn't micro-manage. I also like that you mention our fun office environment. It is a fun environment. I can't wait for us all to be able to get back into the office!!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 341 Reviews