Berry Appleman & Leiden Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Jeremy Fudge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The only perk is free donuts and bagels on Thursdays" (in 12 reviews)

• "Competitive Pay; Varied responsibilities and tasks; Flexible work schedule (to a degree); casual work environment; great coworkers and support staff" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent" (in 12 reviews)

• "no consistency in teams clients things are always changing due to turnover rate, poor clients who are always dealing with new staff" (in 7 reviews)

"The best place to work for corporate immigration"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Benefits; Pay; Culture; Flex Hours; Communication.

Great company to work for. I've worked for two other immigration firms and both are direct competitors and I can honestly say, this is the best place to work for immigration. It's also the best job I've had in my 20 year career. The firm has transitioned from trying to change how we make the widget to how we can improve your environment and work culture. They've rolled out several fun programs such as flex hours, 9/80 scheduling where you work 80 hours in 9 days and get the 10th day off, service days, volunteer days, and several more. Truly a great place to work. They also have a true open door policy. I'm never afraid of being myself or saying what I want to say.

Cons

The work is challenging and can be stressful, however management and the partners do what they can to motivate and take some of the pressure off.

Advice to Management

Roll out 9/80 year round.

"Great Place to Pursue Being Exceptional"

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company genuinely CARES about its employees and is becoming more awesome by the day. They don't always get it right, but they get it right a lot of the time and they always try. They also actively seek feedback, listen, acknowledge any issues and then continually try to improve. They recently took all of leadership to an amazing resort in Puerto Vallarta and challenged each person to be exceptional in our personal lives, professional teams and in our firm. The sessions with our Managing Partner and Equity Partners were authentic and genuine, and we left feeling inspired, proud and empowered. We just opened our New York office and added a ton of cool, talented people and we are growing like crazy after our Deloitte alliance. It's been an awesome 2018 and 2019's going to be even better!! #cantwait #placetobe #futuressobright #myBAL

Cons

Still can't bring our dogs to work

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and continually strive to be exceptional. We notice and we appreciate it.

"Immigration assistant"

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time

Pros

Flexibility, and knowledgeable people working here

Cons

The pay can be better for what they have us doing

"Inspired to be exceptional."

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time

Pros

I don't normally post on these sites, but felt inspired coming back from our 150+ person leadership retreat. Hats off to our leadership and planners. The theme of pursuing the exceptional for your self, your team, and the firm made a lasting impression and I've already engaged my team to cascade the messaging.

There are many firms who do immigration law, but none that focus on culture and values as much as BAL. I'm excited for what's ahead and to team up with other great talent we have and continue to attract.

For anyone interested in working for a fun, tech forward firm, this is what you've been looking for... and I think we're on a hiring craze, good news for any job seekers out there.

Cons

BAL is growing and evolving very fast. Some see this as a con so I list it here. I think of it as necessary to grow and to continue to be able to reinvest in making this a great place to work. If you're looking to do the same thing for 30 years, this is not the place for you. If you want to deliver exceptional service and play an active part in shaping the firm, this place gives you a great platform to step up and lead.

Advice to Management

Keep up the leadership development that exists for ALL staff.

"Paralegal"

I worked at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time

Pros

Top immigration law firm with equally excellent people.

Cons

Not really any cons to working at BAL.

6. "Information Technology"

I worked at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time

Pros

Nice looking office. Most potential employees will be attracted towards the office and get hired, only to hate the job later.

Cons

Worst place to work. You will hate your job after some time. Do yourself a favor by staying away from them.

"Administrative Assistant"

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time

Pros

Manageable workload
    great hours
    pay is reasonable

Cons

Not alot of room for growth
    Huge turnover rate

"Fast growing Firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time

Pros

Virtually everyone here is kind, helpful, and supportive.
    A lot of growth means a lot of growth opportunities for those willing to earn it.
    Culture is relaxed and fun. Not at all like other stuffy law firms.
    They have game rooms like some of the Silicon Valley tech firms.

Cons

Workload can be a challenge, but they are hiring a ton of people to help mitigate that. Things are getting better.

Advice to Management

Things are heading in a positive direction. Keep going!

"Senior Paralegal"

Current Employee - Senior Paralegal in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Paralegal in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at a couple of law firms and this is hands down the best law firm I have ever worked for. It doesn't have the stuffy law firm feel. The office is bright and cheerful, management is easy to talk to, and BAL cares about work-life balance.

Cons

I wish we had covered parking. :)

Advice to Management

Kudos to hiring and training so many new folks and still managing your day to day responsibilities.... and still maintaining your sanity.

"Previous Review Removed for Being Truthful - Still Truthful But No Names"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Text book example of a company with major an ongoing leadership issues heading towards the abyss. Wish this company was part of my college studies :)

Cons

Where do I start. First if BAL disagrees with they will attempt to quieten you by all means - see the title of this review.

Without naming names leadership is incompetent. No original ideas. Lie to staff and corporate clients. Leadership attempted a global expansion that was a complete failure because of particular failings in Singapore and London. Again no names but incompetent leaders in both locations let to major tech clients running to other vendors.

It is common public knowledge that Deloitte acquired BAL's international operations. I will not speculate on the reasons for this. I will just state a well known fact BAL was losing international clients and failing to win new clients. It is also common public knowledge within the industry that the BAL Deloitte Alliance is a facade. No reason to outline in detail.

BAL is an unfortunate position of being just too small and too incompetent to be a major player in the corporate immigration industry.

Good move by Deloitte removing them from the global field but this will do little for the long term benefit of the firm.

It is a major con that BAL tries to stop any voice not in agreement with their voice. Let's hope this post is not removed and the truth prevails.

Advice to Management

Accept your flaws. Do not stop opposing voices by using questionable tactics. Consider changing careers so something you are more suited to.