Berry Appleman & Leiden Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Jeremy Fudge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The only perk is free donuts and bagels on Thursdays" (in 12 reviews)

• "Competitive Pay; Varied responsibilities and tasks; Flexible work schedule (to a degree); casual work environment; great coworkers and support staff" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent" (in 11 reviews)

• "Workload is unbelievable and you will work long hours" (in 6 reviews)

"Great people and improving culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my co-workers; the company provides lots of nice benefits, including a gym, game rooms, and happy hours; I feel like my boss trusts that I know what I'm doing and let's me do my job without watching over my shoulder. If I make a mistake I don't worry that I will be yelled at, I just take responsibility and work to resolve the issue.

Cons

Workload is high, but they seem to be working to lower our caseloads.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the needs and wants of employees. Empower the attorneys to be good leaders. Promote employees that work hard and deserve to be recognized, even if it's "off-cyle".

"Liked the job"

I worked at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time

Pros

Growth potential for hard workers. Super fun work environment and staff, catered lunches and other perks. My attorney was best and I loved working with her.

Cons

Redundant work, but that's kind of expected at a law firm. Other than that, its a good company

Advice to Management

Balance workload.. people leave because they have way too much work for one person.

"Legal Assistant"

I worked at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time

Pros

Friendly work environment. Also, they have great benefits. The attorneys are friendly and knowledgable and will help you out when they have time.

Cons

If you don't like working in a cubicle and sitting down all day this is not the job for you. The Immigration managers seem to be a little lost. When they are the ones delegating the work good luck on getting a good explanation of the task at hand.

"Immigration Assistant"

I worked at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time

Pros

Liked the team I was on and the work I did.

Cons

It feels like how well you do there depends on who you get as your manager.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Immigration Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Immigration Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here makes you feel as if you belong. You work hard but there are a lot of perks. This is not your typical law office. I'm fairly new and I see great opportunity for growth in my career and learning. Before I joined the training was revamped and it is great. I'm learning how to draft multiple case types and look forward to moving up in the firm. BAL gives you a chance in the immigration world that is hard to come by in other companies. I was afraid I wouldn't be hired because I didn't have experience, but that isn't an issue. I'm learning and growing. the office is growing really fast and I can see that my career path will, as well.

Cons

The only con I have is the parking, but I don't thin it is much the company can do about it.

Advice to Management

Management is very engaged with the employees. They are always available to mentor and provide you the tools to succeed.

6. "Shocked the ratings are right"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant/Paralegal in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant/Paralegal in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great effort to be a fun place to work, people are great, effort to make things better.

Cons

Heed the rating on Glassdoor. Sad to see it is accurate. Case overload to the point overtime is imperative, no time to enjoy the benefits or special interests groups or your cases suffer. Demands to meet statistical analysis without recognizing the inability to assess case circumstances creates a very high pressure, horrible work /life balance.

Advice to Management

Take serious measures to ensure work /life balance. Mentally preparing people and telling them that their families have to understand they just won't see you for several months is not healthy. Consider floaters so cases don't suffer when someone has to leave for greater than 2 days.

"It’s okay"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Houston, TX

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code
    Very little micromanaging

Cons

Unorganized case management
    Very little training

Advice to Management

My advice is to maintain better case management. The cases are constantly being switched between case workers with very little communication and background information regarding the case. Many times cases are not being touched for weeks and the client and/or employee complain because of the delays. There also needs to be better client specific training. Especially with picky clients that have several protocols. The initial BAL training is informative regarding the company and an “intro to immigration” however there was no break down or explanation of what is specifically expected from the client once we start our assigned roles. It is not the responsibility for others in the same role to train newer employees especially when 95% of them already have heavy caseloads.

"Great place for learning and advancement of your career."

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BAL is a very wholesome place to work. You’ll be at the forefront of immigration service and in the midts of some of the greatest experts in the field. BAL offers great career opportunities across the different departments and is relatively more relaxed that other top immigration law firms. You’ll always feel challenged to learn more and handle new tasks, which contributes to one’s overall growth. You’ll work with some amazing and very knowledgeable people, and you’ll have hands on experience with immigration matters for top Fortune 500 companies, resolving all sorts of issues. It’s a fast paced environment, with lots of development opportunities.

Cons

Immigration is generally a bit of a stressful field, especially if you are in the front end of the service delivery. Managing the immigration processes and tight deadlines for clients at times is really hard. This with an imbalanced work load can be quite demoralizing at times. I do believe work load can be managed a bit better, but I don’t think this is just a BAL issue. Many other immigration providers face the exact same issues. BAL has also been implementing a framework for applying some improvements based on the voice of the employees and in the years I’ve been around I’ve seen a tremendous change in some departments and areas of the work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing, and keep looking for smart solutions to work load issues and flexibility for employees.

"BAL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

bad management and high turn over of people

"Paralegal"

I worked at Berry Appleman & Leiden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good work if you like immigration

Cons

long hours, little career growth or internal mobility