Berry College Reviews | Glassdoor

Berry College CEO Stephen Briggs
Stephen Briggs
  1. "BITS student worker"

I worked at Berry College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome coworkers, great learning environment, they encouraged us to get as many certifications as possible, and were willing to work around schedules and studying no matter what

Cons

Really bad pay. I know we're student workers and everyone always says "Oh, Berry spends $5 million on student work wages" like that's supposed to be such a burden on them, but if Berry had to pay actual employees to do the jobs that a bunch of student workers are doing now, they'd have to pay a lot more than $5 million dollars. The student work program is great because it allows us to get experience, but don't make... it out to be a burden on the school. Honestly, I'm pretty sure they get more out of it than we do. Sometimes the organization of departments is weird and they switch things around without telling any student workers why they are changing things and what they're hoping to achieve. If they would talk to the student workers about changes they make in their departments, the transitions would be smoother and potential problems could be dealt with before they pose a real issue.

Advice to Management

Train your supervisors before you put them in charge of student workers. Having to help my boss figure out how to do aspects of their job was stressful for them and for me to have to struggle through the year trying to play catch-up on something that should have been dealt with before they were transferred to this position.

Berry College2015-08-07
  2. "Student Work Program is Nice"

Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at Berry College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great way to start building a resume. Every student is guaranteed a job if they want one. Student Enterprise Program fosters a high level of responsibility and professionalism.

Cons

Some fellow student workers are not very motivated, and Berry seems hesitant to fire student workers who really need the wake up call.

Advice to Management

You aren't doing your students a favor by letting them think that slacking off on the job will be acceptable in the real world.

Berry College2015-07-19

"Great place to work, there are some great people to work with here!"

I have been working at Berry College

Pros

Great benefits, very flexible schedule! Great place to work!

Cons

Upper management sometimes difficult to get help from. Lower end employees tend to get looked over at events and things like that.

Berry College2015-04-16

"Fantastic experience that allowed me to learn what it is like to work in several completely different fields."

I have been working at Berry College

Pros

Excellent for introductions into new types of working environments. Very flexible schedules. Many opportunities for growth

Cons

Relatively low (but reasonable) wages

Berry College2015-03-23
  5. "Student"

I have been working at Berry College

Pros

Convenient scheduling for students. Able to move up in the ranks

Cons

The highest pay available is slightly above minimum wage.

Berry College2015-04-02
  6. "Prepared me for the real world"

Lab Assistant in Mount Berry, GA

I have been working at Berry College

Pros

Working during school is difficult, but I definitely recommend working here because of the real life experiences I've gained.

Cons

The pay is very low

Advice to Management

Compensation for upper level positions

Berry College2015-03-07
  7. "Great Place to work as a student"

I have been working at Berry College

Pros

Great experience, potential to learn skills that will help you at your next job, typically low stress, and most people I worked always treated you fairly

Cons

You will only get paid at minimum wage or very slightly above, there are no "benefits" as the job as a student is only part-time

Advice to Management

Focus on expanding the "real" work that students do and increase pay to help offset ever-increasing tuition costs

Berry College2014-12-04
  8. "Working at Berry was an amazing experience that prepared me to get a job after I graduated from college."

Former Employee - Level V Student Worker

I worked at Berry College part-time

Pros

Great beginner work experience. The positions are all flexible with student schedules and there are positions in a wide variety of areas. Also, all students are permitted to work, regardless of whether they qualify for federal work study, which is often not the case at most colleges.

Cons

The student work program has limited hours and wages, though this issue is outweighed by the positives of a flexible schedule that doesn't require you to leave campus.

Berry College2014-11-14
  9. "Great opportunities"

I worked at Berry College

Pros

The student work program gives great opportunities to apply what is learned in the classroom to real world settings. The experience I gained at Berry College was extremely valuable.

Cons

It can be challenging to balance work with other activities and class and homework, but it is worthwhile as it teaches good time management skills

Berry College2014-08-11
  10. "Great work opportunities"

Former Employee - State Farm in Rome, GA

I worked at Berry College part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work is generally pretty easy because you are a college student. There are multiple opportunities to try different jobs and even get a job in the community working in a field you are pursuing.

Cons

Pay is not very good.

Advice to Management

Challenge students more.

Berry College2014-07-16