Bert Corona Leadership Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Bert Corona Leadership Institute Reviews

Updated Mar 12, 2019

Found 11 reviews

2.7
Bert Corona Leadership Institute CEO E. Francisco Lopez (no image)
E. Francisco Lopez
  1. "Unfortunate negative reviews for a great organization -"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The organization is great. I have worked on and off for this organization for years. The CEO is great and reliable. He is respectful and considerate with ALL employees whether they be males or females. As a female, I am offended by some of the other reviews. It is clear that the reviewers themselves was sexist and not the CEO. Beautiful women can't be smart at the same time?! In the time I worked for BCLI, I learned... so much. You are given opportunity to take your initiative and be your own leader. The CEO gives a platform for ideas to be tested and even scaled up. The CEO and his staff DO NOT lie, cheat, or steal. They work from the goodness of their hearts and sacrifice themselves to help others in need, primarily youth. I applaud the work that I did when I was at BCLI and the work that is still being done.

Cons

There are none that I can really think of. It is unfortunate that all of these lies are being spread.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing and ignore the lies. This is a great movement and I wish you could do more.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2014-10-18
  2. "Fellowship"

Former Contractor - Senior Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute for less than a year

Pros

Pay was decent and location good.

Cons

Environment not great. Too much unhappiness behind the scenes. Trust issues a problem and delegation of work not done effectively.

Advice to Management

Don't always trust your closest person next to you. Sometimes an outsider can manage better. Be open to change. Plus listen with an open mind.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2016-05-19
  3. "Summer Intern Experience"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute for less than a year

Pros

I was offered this internship position by the CEO of the company half-way through the summer, so I only interned for a total of 7 weeks. In these 7 weeks, however, I was challenged on a daily basis. I gained experience in grant research as well as in basic administrative tasks. I also became more familiarized with topical issue areas facing migrant communities today. Additionally, interns are given the... opportunities for face-to-face interactions with the students involved in BCLI's leadership development programs. This is a good experience for those interested in going into nonprofit work or education alike.

Cons

As an intern, I was exposed to office tension at times which made the workplace environment slightly uncomfortable. Besides this, the work was interesting and the experience was worthwhile; the pros definitely outweighed the cons in my opinion.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2014-11-24
  4. "This institution has no ethics and doesn't follow its vision of helping migrant communities."

Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bert Corona Leadership Institute for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pro that "employees" (because all are interns, subemployed, with no salaries) may find is that the CEO takes them to have lunch or drinks any time he can, that way he ensueres everybody is happy with him.

Cons

This institution denigrates employees takes advantage of migrant people. They CEOmanipulates people, specially women. He creates a bad environment. He has no idea of what leadership means, nobody should trust in this institution.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2014-09-24
  5. "A Small Non Profit with a Great Impact in Serving Youth over 12 years. Disgruntful interns use this forum to vent."

Current Employee - Communications in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bert Corona Leadership Institute part-time for more than a year

Pros

Committing Board and Team. The board and the leadership donates most of their time to this 12 year old organization that has served over 7000 students across the Americas.

Cons

Small core team and uses several interns during the summer months-so the the interns are not always the best choice.

Advice to Management

Select the right team and trained them well to avoid problems.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2014-07-01
  6. "A track record of over 12 years success and impact"

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute for more than 5 years

Pros

over 12 years of reaching communities across the Americas with impacting programs and service

Cons

can reach more communities through scaling programs and selecting the right staff.

Advice to Management

Select PT and Permanent staff that are dedicated to the programs and outcome. The leadership is truly committed and the staff needs to do their part. It is unfortunate that after 12 years of serving one disgruntful employee can try to ruin the image of a dedicated president and leader.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2013-12-22
  7. "Illusion and distortion of BCLI."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute for less than a year

Pros

BCLI reaches out to migrant youths, bringing them most for the first time to Washington, DC.

Cons

As anyone who has interned with BCLI would be of witness. The president/CEO is a narcissistic/egotist sexist individual. His attitude is very degrading and he will talk down to all employees. He has no respect for anyone and will take advantage of anyone he can. He makes bold statements of "how stupid" anyone that has made a mistake is.

Advice to Management

The board needs to stop allowing one indiviual to do as he pleases without consequences

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2014-01-07
  8. "The president of BCLI ruins the company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute part-time for less than a year

Pros

BCLI has a wonderful mission and hardworking employees. The company does an excellent job of reaching out to migrant youths, bringing them from their hometowns to D.C. to experience democratic processes through firsthand learning. The employees and interns here are very driven and passionate; they manage to form a strong, functional family despite the fact that their employer is absolutely poisonous.

Cons

The President of BCLI is inappropriate in every sense of the word. Driven by an unbelievably sexist attitude, he treats male employees with little respect and female employees with absolutely no respect at all. He hires beautiful young women, often immigrants, to work for him. The president makes lewd remarks towards these women, belittles them, and even curses at them. Working for this man creates an unbearably... toxic environment, and this is the reason BCLI continues to lose employees every season.

Advice to Management

For a company that totes the title of a "leadership institute", the leader of BCLI himself is a fraud and a nightmare to work for. The upper management desperately needs to be replaced if the company is ever going to grow.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2012-08-10
  9. "Run by a scam artist"

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute

Pros

The ethos of the organization is fundamentally good-- it aspires to create leaders out of disenfranchised youths by teaching them about the U.S. political system.

Cons

The CEO, Francisco Lopez, of the BCLI is the opposite of a leader and it is unfortunate that an organization with a positive mandate is managed by him. He exploits his workers and berates anyone that dares to question his dubious activities. In a word, this man is a bully and will go to great lengths to maintain his image and his stronghold over the BCLI. He uses the BCLI's money to fund his own personal expenses... but refuses to pay his employees a reasonable wage. The CEO of the BCLI epitomizes what is absolutely wrong with individuals that hold any shred of power in our society and it is a catastrophic irony that he is the head of a "Leadership Institute."

Advice to Management

Although this man is trained as a lawyer, he is reckless with his contracts and holds no respect for the law, civility, or anyone besides himself. The board MUST undergo a stringent investigation against this man and his activities or the taxpayers' money (yes, the U.S. Government is one of his clients) will continue to be squandered.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2014-01-24
  10. "The Opposite of Leadership and Ethics"

Former Employee -

I worked at Bert Corona Leadership Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

On the surface, the Institute has a good, commendable mission: political inclusion and leadership training for disenfranchised populations.

Cons

Any one who has ever worked for this company for even a few weeks can testify to the incompetence, lack of professionalism, and unethical behavior shown by the CEO. As one of the other reviews indicates, he goes out to bars (even other countries!) and hires some of the beautiful girls he meets there, regardless of experience (much less qualifications!). He has no respect for employees in general and simply does not... know the meaning of punctuality, following up and accountability. Some international candidates who made upfront payments to later have their visas denied by the US embassy, never got their money reimbursed to them (as stated by contract). These and countless other examples really make the work atmosphere incredibly negative and demoralizing for all employees.

Advice to Management

The board really needs to step in and do a thorough intervention.

Bert Corona Leadership Institute2014-01-03