Bertucci's Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Freeman

Pros
  • Good people, good food, good location (in 18 reviews)

• Flexible schedule and good pizza (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • management has very high turnover, when i worked one store we went through 4 front of house managers in 6 months (in 7 reviews)

• Way too much turnover on upper management (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Bertucci's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been there so long for the sole fact that I love my staff. We are like one big happy family!

Cons

Management frequently changed recently and some advanced planning has been haphazard and disorganized

Advice to Management

Have a more organized approach to scheduling

2. "Well-balanced establishment that helps you grow within the business."

Former Employee - Server in Beverly, MA
    Former Employee - Server in Beverly, MA

I worked at Bertucci's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The working atmosphere is superb, management gives you the tools for success so that you can move up the chain.

Cons

You'll want to buy pizza for supper every night of your shift; on weekdays it might seem slow but if you work your magic, it'll be enjoyable.

3. "Chaotic at best"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I worked at Bertucci's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% employee discount and decent tips. Bartenders get $5 and 10% of alcohol sales. You don't tip out the bar on wine bottles sold. No busters or food runners to tip out.

Cons

In 6 months they've gone through 3 general managers.
    This location is constantly comping meals and giving free food away because every day is chaos.
    The company is concerned about labor to the point that district management is calling constantly to micromanage store hours. This leaves the restaurant severely understaffed.
    Management fails to order stock correctly.
    No accountability.
    High turnover.
    The company send lots of coupons that regulars take full advantage.
    This company takes the stance of "the customer is always right" even when they obviously aren't.

You will be expected to take as many tables as possible while greeting the door, answering carry out calls, busing tables, running food, promoting wine in addition to surveys and promotional items. There is very little time to actually do the job properly.

Advice to Management

Give your staff proper resources to do their job. This includes breaks, a properly stocked kitchen, and adequately staff the restaurant.

4. "I wouldn't recommend working on the waitstaff here"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Washington, DC

I worked at Bertucci's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and good pizza

Cons

Poor management, no coordination between front end and kitchen, would make you sign documents saying you worked less hours so they wouldn't have to make up for at least minimum wage

5. "Hostess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at Bertucci's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bertucci's has a nice work environment due to its friendly managers and staff. It was a pretty fun place to work.

Cons

Sometimes, scheduled hours would be shortened if the restaurant wasn't as busy. This made it difficult to make the expected amount of money.

Advice to Management

Management should help employees advance up to higher positions such as carry out and waiting tables. This would keep the job interesting.

6. "Bertucci's North Andover- Horrible management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Andover, MA

Pros

Discount on food
    Good food
    Clean environment

Cons

Inflexible hours
    Managers are not understanding
    Managers recurrently exploit workers, abuse position of power
    Never know when you work until-- managers will keep you until they need you, this could be 30 min to 1hr+ after your shift was scheduled to end, depending on business of night
    Do not cross train workers

There is a lack of people working at Bertucci's. Because they are short handed, I have witnessed the employees, often younger than 18 years old, being double scheduled on their work days. This means they were scheduled from 10-2 and 2-8, leaving little to no time for meals. Managers are exceptionally uncompromising, they rarely honor employee's availability when scheduling them. Through out my experience at Bertucci's I have seen waves of employees cycling in an out the door, quitting because the hours and expectations became too demanding. It becomes an environment letting workers know they are easily replaced, as they become washed up by the hours.

Advice to Management

Respect employee's requests
    Compromise with workers

7. "Lack of supervision/Constant use of Cellular Phones by Employees and Management"

Current Employee - Line Cook in Plymouth, MA
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at Bertucci's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pleasant place to work, friendly staff

Cons

1.Personal use of Cellphone by both management and staff (Constantly!!) with disregard to customers.
    2. Improper staffing levels on high volume days/holidays.
    3. Company rules are used as a choice opposed to a guideline.
    3. Inadequate staff members with long time employment, with the skills of a first day employee.
    4. Reverse roles with management and staff. ( The staff rules the business not the hired management.)

Advice to Management

Do Your Job According To This Corporations Policies And Standards!!!!!!

8. "They need better staff and management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I worked at Bertucci's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy money , not to big so it doesnt get busy, get to eat pizza

Cons

Working here is madness the managers only talk to you if your a 17yr old girl .. they will not accept new ppl and wont give you a raise unless your a female

Advice to Management

My advice to management is quit you guys could better run the place if they got ppl who were trained properly

9. "Shift supervisor"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Benson East, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Benson East, PA

I have been working at Bertucci's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Met a lot of great people. I've been with the company for almost 9yrs. Love going to work because the people I've over the years I've been there.

Cons

AD is dishonest. Not professional at all. Lost a lot of good managers because of it. I saw GM's go on vacation and came back finding out that they got replaced. The worst thing about the people that replaced them are the AD's friends.

Advice to Management

Everything starts from the top. Need to talk to employees in professional manner. Not embarras them in front other co-workers and a guess can see and hear.

10. "Bartender"

Former Employee - Bartender in Amherst, MA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Amherst, MA

I worked at Bertucci's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The restaurant made great food most of the time. Employees maintained great relationships with each other for the most part. The customers who came to the bar were friendly.

Cons

The management did not give proper direction and treated the back of the house unfairly. I remember a specific dishwasher was frequently getting soaking wet every shift due to a faulty sink. Nothing was done about it.

Advice to Management

Make sure to take care of the back of the house. They are the engine to the company and without them you will not be able to make the customers happy which is the ultimate goal,