Best Buy Reviews in Albuquerque, NM | Glassdoor

Albuquerque, NM

2.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "Not bad at all"

Former Employee - Apple Expert in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Apple Expert in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. This is awesome when you’re a student in college. If your’e a full-time employee (in the year 2015) they actually help with tuition. So the company is great with school. Best Buy also hires great employees which means working with potential friends. They give you top quality training, especially for an hourly job. Decent full time benefits as well.

Cons

Working in retail is never really fun. Dealing with many customers means dealing with a decent amount of condescending attitudes. However, the main reason my rating is 3 and not 4 stars is because they PUSH for numbers. At the time, if you weren’t excelling in your metrics you were forced into coaching sessions with management. Which certainly wouldn’t be a problem if my higher numbers reflected my paycheck. I was a top salesman for the company during my tenure and saw a maximum bonus of $50 in my paycheck. I didn’t care because I was focusing on school, but this dynamic certainly causes the company to lose awesome talent. I know people who are doing the same exact job for other companies and making at least 50K a year. My final Con is that (again, at the time) they valued customer contact above knowledge. This meant that a person who knew NOTHING about refrigerators would be asked to help someone in appliances. Visiting the stores recently I’ve noticed that they have representative from certain companies helping each department. But this really needed to be fixed in 2015.

Advice to Management

Focus on your team development. I believe that this will help your culture AND your numbers.

2. "ehh"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

surrounded by technology, the discount was good, coworkers were good

Cons

management sucked, only cared about sales not taking care of their customers, heard managers lie to customers often, sales floor workers would throw customer service under the bus often

Advice to Management

hire new people, cuz your managers are just sucking up to you and don't actually know what they're doing

3. "Over hire frenzy"

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary was decent. I got paid during employee orientation and onsite training. Discount on merchandise, and helpful coworkers,.

Cons

No stable hours, no communication among mangement and teammembers, no idea who your manager is second in command, some coworkers deer in the headlights, you are limited what you can purchase with your employee discount, and watched like a hawk. You can't access HR website from home.

Advice to Management

Stop overhiring and give stable hours to those of who need the hours! Don't punish those who pay attention to details and know a store needs improvement!

4. "Best Buy Mobile"

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile SAS Lead Sales Consultant in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile SAS Lead Sales Consultant in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of one-on-one times with your co-workers, great advancement opportunities if you are ambitious, and the managers will always try to help you get your achievements seen to the end!

Cons

Turn over has been terrible and always seems to happen close to the holidays. This causes the stores to be short-handed, which hurts sales.

"Meh company"

Current Employee - Sales in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers and discount were pretty good

Cons

Customers and management..managent was awful at the store

Advice to Management

Treat employees as humans for once

6. "Work your butt off while others get kept and advance"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Monthly bonuses for permanent and even part time (non seasonal) employees, good pay and yearly raises, nice break rooms, good hours, and amazing discounts on best buy or rocketfish products.

Cons

biggest con for me was that while I worked my hardest every day and had top numbers, my manager let me go at the end of seasonal and kept a girl who once left early to make sure her keys to her Mercedes still worked because it got a little wet. Overall the job is about what you would expect working retail; high pressure from management to sell and get credit card applications, crazy hours during the holidays, high stress if you work returns, MCSA (phones), or as a cashier, and late nights if youre scheduled to close

Advice to Management

keep more people from seasonal. maybe do anonymous surveys with the workers. At my best buy for instance, just about everyone knew that the front end manager was a womanizer but no one said anything. At my location, the only way to get kept past the holidays was to have breasts and a tramp stamp... Im not even joking, there were 15 women and only 2 men in the whole front end and the two men were me and the manager's friend.

7. "Decent place to work while in highschool"

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers made the job worth while. They were friendly and fun to work with.
    The pay was above minimum wage, and there were some benefits to part-time employees, including a matched 401k and a stock purchasing program.

Cons

Management does not value their workers, they are focused on profit and margins, not the well being of their employees.
    People are promoted to positions that they are not qualified for and the promotion process always seemed to come down to who was the boss' friend.
    Day to day work is boring and repetitive.

Advice to Management

See cons. Address those

8. "Very political environment, got rid of awesome discount, management was very inconsistent"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, cool stuff with an okay discount, sales were pretty easy and customers were usually fun. Bonuses were excellent, although I was the only person in the store who was receiving bonuses.

Cons

I was very pressured to attach service plans and other non-necessities to products, and sales numbers were extremely important and monitored, even though I did not receive commission.

Advice to Management

Streamline and reward your good employees more. Stop hiring so many people who will only stay for one week.

9. "A vast opportunity of learning new skills, gaining respect, and making people happy and comfortable with technology."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

You can learn a great deal about technology and how it can work for you. Meeting an array of people and helping them understand technology.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are available but difficult to come by in some departments. At times far too much is expected of employees and far too little respect is given.

Advice to Management

Remember that while you are in offices looking at things and the way you think they should be, there are real people out in the trenches trying to do the work you have never even done or seen.

10. "Underqualified management !"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Store somewhat up to date with new technology

Cons

Inept, UNDER-qualified managers! (who cant answer questions and are inconsistent, anger problems). Substandard communications. Long hours (retail). No recognition of staff.

Advice to Management

Get some qualified managers-including the GM.

Showing 12 of 15,265 reviews