Best Buy Reviews in Albuquerque, NM | Glassdoor

Best Buy Albuquerque Reviews

Updated May 11, 2018

Best Buy CEO Corie Barry (no image)
Corie Barry
  1. "Fun and Engaging"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Corrales, NM

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendliness of staff. Reliance on overall team performance for bonuses that are distributed monthly. The benefits are GREAT even for part-time employees.

Cons

Varibility of hours. Length of time before being hired. Too few training hours given to managers to fully train new employees for their positions. POS has inefficiencies that lead to several minute long checkouts.

Advice to Management

Especially in the front end, give additional time for more on-hands training. Also the POS needs to notify customers when the program is processing information and remove the need to tap next to advance the screen. So many customers get frustrated by not advancing by double tapping.

Best Buy2016-08-10

"Difficult management, unhelpful HR."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

All of the technical questions from customers will keep you on your toes, learning more about your products. On a good day when it's busy the time flies by and I feel pretty good at the end of it. Certainly a challenge, but mostly a good one. I've learned a lot about interacting with people and a lot about myself while working here. The job itself is actually pretty enjoyable on the whole.

Cons

Customers come and go, the worst ones are hard to handle but they eventually leave. Managment is always there so they're a large part of your experience. I'm sure it varies by store, but my management does not care about the wellbeing of their employees. They care about store numbers, a lot. They care about corporate management breathing down their necks, more so all the time it seems. They do not care about sick,... injured, distressed, or otherwise indisposed employees. Got the flu? They'll write you up for missing work. Want to take a vacation once a year? They might threaten to fire you so you can take that time off, your welcome. Possibly the worst part is that HR is not on your side. They're buddy buddy with the management and they will not believe you if you have a complaint. I've seen this process repeat over and over with many employees.

Advice to Management

Numbers matter, you have to keep the lights on, I get it. But you should value your employees beyond their ability to sell. They're people, not bad robots that need to be reprogrammed for higher revenue output. Customers are people too and employees who can build report and trust with them do have value. Don't just "pump and dump" everyone who comes through the doors.

Best Buy2018-05-12
  3. "Smooth for the most part."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Rio Rancho, NM

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a full time employee you get benefits with everything. Paid time off is alway a plus. Especially if you wanna go on a paid vacation. The heath care is the best out there. Comparable to military grade health care on the highest plan. A tad pricey, but it’s worth it. Lots of room to grow. You definitely get what you put in.

Cons

Anything other than full time gets bad pay, bad hours, not enough hours to get things done. No benefits for part time employees. (Unless they schedule you 30 hours a week for a year). However that’s highly unlikely. Customer service is merged with store pick up and it doesn’t work. Yet they want you to keep Net Promoter Score up and wait time low. You have to prioritize store pick up even if customer service has... been waiting for a long time. Which make customers very upset.

Advice to Management

Support your employees more and listen to what they say. And try sticking with policy. Break it if you need to. However pay attention to how your employees feel about situations. If your employee is letting the customer know the policy and they don’t like it, don’t just tell your employee over the radio to take care of it. Come and support your employees with the customer, but try to find the best solution for both... the business and the customer. Instead of making the employee do something against policy. As a leader you made the decision to go against policy, you should be the one finishing the transaction or interaction.

Best Buy2017-12-15
  4. "Not bad at all"

Former Employee - Apple Expert in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule. This is awesome when you’re a student in college. If your’e a full-time employee (in the year 2015) they actually help with tuition. So the company is great with school. Best Buy also hires great employees which means working with potential friends. They give you top quality training, especially for an hourly job. Decent full time benefits as well.

Cons

Working in retail is never really fun. Dealing with many customers means dealing with a decent amount of condescending attitudes. However, the main reason my rating is 3 and not 4 stars is because they PUSH for numbers. At the time, if you weren’t excelling in your metrics you were forced into coaching sessions with management. Which certainly wouldn’t be a problem if my higher numbers reflected my paycheck. I... was a top salesman for the company during my tenure and saw a maximum bonus of $50 in my paycheck. I didn’t care because I was focusing on school, but this dynamic certainly causes the company to lose awesome talent. I know people who are doing the same exact job for other companies and making at least 50K a year. My final Con is that (again, at the time) they valued customer contact above knowledge. This meant that a person who knew NOTHING about refrigerators would be asked to help someone in appliances. Visiting the stores recently I’ve noticed that they have representative from certain companies helping each department. But this really needed to be fixed in 2015.

Advice to Management

Focus on your team development. I believe that this will help your culture AND your numbers.

Best Buy2017-11-03
  5. "ehh"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

surrounded by technology, the discount was good, coworkers were good

Cons

management sucked, only cared about sales not taking care of their customers, heard managers lie to customers often, sales floor workers would throw customer service under the bus often

Advice to Management

hire new people, cuz your managers are just sucking up to you and don't actually know what they're doing

Best Buy2017-05-04
  6. "Over hire frenzy"

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

The salary was decent. I got paid during employee orientation and onsite training. Discount on merchandise, and helpful coworkers,.

Cons

No stable hours, no communication among mangement and teammembers, no idea who your manager is second in command, some coworkers deer in the headlights, you are limited what you can purchase with your employee discount, and watched like a hawk. You can't access HR website from home.

Advice to Management

Stop overhiring and give stable hours to those of who need the hours! Don't punish those who pay attention to details and know a store needs improvement!

Best Buy2016-02-09
  7. "Best Buy Mobile"

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile SAS Lead Sales Consultant in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of one-on-one times with your co-workers, great advancement opportunities if you are ambitious, and the managers will always try to help you get your achievements seen to the end!

Cons

Turn over has been terrible and always seems to happen close to the holidays. This causes the stores to be short-handed, which hurts sales.

Best Buy2015-10-15

"Meh company"

Current Employee - Sales in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co workers and discount were pretty good

Cons

Customers and management..managent was awful at the store

Advice to Management

Treat employees as humans for once

Best Buy2014-11-30
  9. "Work your butt off while others get kept and advance"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Monthly bonuses for permanent and even part time (non seasonal) employees, good pay and yearly raises, nice break rooms, good hours, and amazing discounts on best buy or rocketfish products.

Cons

biggest con for me was that while I worked my hardest every day and had top numbers, my manager let me go at the end of seasonal and kept a girl who once left early to make sure her keys to her Mercedes still worked because it got a little wet. Overall the job is about what you would expect working retail; high pressure from management to sell and get credit card applications, crazy hours during the holidays, high... stress if you work returns, MCSA (phones), or as a cashier, and late nights if youre scheduled to close

Advice to Management

keep more people from seasonal. maybe do anonymous surveys with the workers. At my best buy for instance, just about everyone knew that the front end manager was a womanizer but no one said anything. At my location, the only way to get kept past the holidays was to have breasts and a tramp stamp... Im not even joking, there were 15 women and only 2 men in the whole front end and the two men were me and the manager's... friend.

Best Buy2014-11-05
  10. "Decent place to work while in highschool"

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers made the job worth while. They were friendly and fun to work with. The pay was above minimum wage, and there were some benefits to part-time employees, including a matched 401k and a stock purchasing program.

Cons

Management does not value their workers, they are focused on profit and margins, not the well being of their employees. People are promoted to positions that they are not qualified for and the promotion process always seemed to come down to who was the boss' friend. Day to day work is boring and repetitive.

Advice to Management

See cons. Address those

Best Buy2013-05-25