Best Buy Reviews in Alexandria, VA | Glassdoor

Alexandria, VA

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "Good"

Current Employee - PC Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - PC Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

good setting, and very easy job

Cons

just note that not every customer is nice

2. "Bestbuy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, friendly new faces, meeting all sorts of new people. Well established business and employee benefits. Learning new technology daily and getting hands on experience with new products.

Cons

Lacking Structure, working with fresh out of high school, inexperienced pupils. Profit driven, not customer focused. Management would get on you if you aren't making sales even if this is not what the customer has come to us for.

Advice to Management

I understand that sales are what drives a business but they need to look beyond profits. It would be nice to come in and have them act like they are our peers and not have them scream down our throats so they can turn a profit.

3. "great entry position"

Former Employee - Multi-Channel Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Multi-Channel Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

great co workers, solid pay, excellent employee benefits

Cons

rude customers, can be extremely busy during the holiday season

"Great Team atmosphere but to much pressure for a non commisioned evironment"

Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Team Members everyone is like family, made lots of new friends
    Flexible (Except during the holiday Season)
    Employee Discounts are pretty good
    Certifications and Training Opportunities perfect for high school and college students with little to no experience

Cons

Border line illegal/unethical sick day policies
    To much pressure for a non commissioned environment
    Not flexible at all during the holiday seasons
    Disconnect between Services and Sales leads to confusion and frustration from both associates and customers alike

Advice to Management

Honestly, you’re going to push the fact that you are “performance” based instead of commissioned based then make so it’s fair across the board. For example, at my store you have hourly revenue goals set for 500$ which is not too high, but then to turn around and award associates with an hourly sales revenue of 1500$ with 60 hours a week and others who make 400$ 20 per week is not right. Put quite simply Best buy is basically substituted the monetary incentive with work hours as an incentive which makes it next to impossible to be financially stable if one week you exceed your hourly revenue of 500$ minimum every day and the next week for whatever the reason, you're struggling just to hit 350$. Part of the other problem I have with best buy is to be communication between departments, particularly with geek squad and the sales floor. We need to before we get on the floor if there’s a promo on GSP services to avoid the confusion and headaches of having customers pay regular price for a GSP bundle that is technically on sale. Perhaps the most pressing issue about this communication lapse is what specifically can and can’t be covered. I’ve seen associates on the sales floor tell customers that we cover accidental damage on up to 4 other devices with the GSP protection plans which is definitely wrong. To summarize, This is a very good company to work for however Upper management needs to decide do they want to have a commissioned based environment or not. Abandon this “performance” based environment strategy or at the very least make changes to regulate it so that the so called “rock stars”(As my manager put it) don’t get overworked to death.

UPDATE 05/12/2014:

Recently my store has decided to implement two new policies that have made this company impossible to work for

1.) Part time employees essentially can't call out sick without being written up (3 write ups and you're fired) because we do not receive sick days (paid or even unpaid)

2.) New SOP states that employees have to have at least one customer do a Branded Payment (Credit Card Application Sign Up) EVERY SHIFT! So if you work 5 shifts in a week the minimum amount of brand payments you must get before your weekly review is 5. (After 3 times of not meeting this goal, it is automatic termination) This is why both employees and customers are losing faith in best buy, they're trying to hard to push financial services instead of normal services and solutions. Seeing how especially in bad economic times this is not always feasible to even get 5 a month sales floor personnel job security has just been thrown completely out the window.

5. "Not Bad for Retail"

Former Employee - Lead Compters Specialist, Portable Electronics Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The payrate is decent. Not enough to completely live off of where I worked, but well above what other electronics stores offer. The employee discount is also really nice; most places won't top it. You also tend to be recognized for your hard work and commitment.

Cons

It's retail, so it comes with rude, entitled customers, long hours on your feet, questionable management choices, and lazy coworkers. Also, you're encouraged to push protection plans aggressively, and although you're not paid on commission, your performance will be judged based off of how many plans you sell a month. It encourages underhanded tactics and suspicion among customers, which strains customer loyalty.

Advice to Management

Push more customer loyalty and understand, not so much on services that are grossly unpopular among everyone except the grossly uneducated.

Showing 5 of 15,265 reviews