Best Buy Reviews in Birmingham, AL | Glassdoor

Birmingham, AL

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 444 reviews)

• Limited hours when not working full time (in 509 reviews)

1. "Pretty Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really liked the people working there. Coworkers seemed to be higher quality than typical people you would expect in a retail environment. The working environment feels professional and responsible where it needs to be, but it is also relaxed as well.

Cons

The work can be tedious and frustrating at times. Scheduling can be unpredictable for certain positions.

2. "Enjoyed Working There"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL

Pros

-Fun work environment overall. Great employees to work with and team environment in store.

-Pay is very competitive and fair compared to other retailers

-You get to work with exciting products and keep up with the latest and greatest CE Technology

-They promote a culture of growth and development. Provide many tools for training, training here is better than any other retailer I have worked at especially for management.

-If you make a decision to take care of a customer or not to, they are good about standing behind you to enforce it. As long as the decision makes sense and is ethical they will back you up every time. More freedom to make decisions in situations than some other retailers.

-Overall I would say more often than not they do what they can to take care of the employee. Their philosophy is all about taking care of the employees who will in turn take care of the customers. Just like anywhere else there are good stores and bad stores, you can usually tell the culture of a store just by walking in and seeing how the employees act, if they are happy and engaging with customers or not. Same with upper management. You could have a great supportive district/regional staff or a bad one, been part of both in the same district as they would cycle through. When things are clicking though its a great environment and it shows all the way down to the

-There are challenges and successes, good and bad here as there are anywhere, but can't complain about my time there. I truly believe the company wants to take care of their employees and customers. Really enjoyed working there overall and took a lot away from my experiences there. I learned a lot during my time with the company that really shaped my management skills and through the ups and downs they helped me to be more successful in my career.

Cons

-Not a great work-life balance. Hours aren't quite as bad as they are for managers at other retailers, but still not great.

-Very political. Promotions often do not weigh as heavily on performance as they do who you know. Not saying performance has no weight, just it doesn't help as much as who you know. If you can get in well and talk the talk it doesn't necessarily mean anything if you get the best results. Often interviews were just formalities and going through the motions. They knew who they were promoting but they had to hold open interviews either way.

-Many managers will throw others 'under the bus' to cover up their deficiencies and get away with it. Whether you were hourly or salary in many stores if you aren't in with the right people you could be gone quickly, very cliquish and can seem a lot like you're back in high school. There are politics at any job but it can be quite discouraging with how they handle it here.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a fun environment that encourages growth and development and back it up. Work on rewarding and promoting more heavily for performance than people who talk the talk or are friends with upper management.

3. "Ups and Downs"

Former Employee - Project Team Lead in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Project Team Lead in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has good intentions
    The Treat most of their employees fairly

Cons

Pay scale is not on board with others in the same business
    no career path for a merchandiser

4. "Work environment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Best Buy part-time

Pros

Great discount, hours flexible, vacation time off, shifts aren't long and demanding, meet great people, learn a lot of knowledge

Cons

Advancement, pay not negotiable, a lot of training periodically, things changes rapidly, learning a lot of material in short notice.

5. "Incredible Opportunity"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Birmingham, AL

Pros

-Sales training! They teach you techniques and skills that will impact your career
    -Feeling of making a true impact! You can see how your efforts impact your location, and it gives you a sense of accomplishment
    -Development! I can't stress enough how much I learned under my General Manager. He empowered me to take risks, reap the rewards, and gave me the tools I needed to grow and develop my own team
    -Employee Discount
    -Paid holidays, and holiday premium pay
    -BONUSES!!!

Cons

-It's a little hard to balance work and life through the holidays, however this is just how Retail is. I feel that my store leadership did the best they could with what they were given.

Advice to Management

Please continue to breed Best Buy Culture! I really love what Best Buy stands for, and I will take these lessons, and opportunities with me from now on.

"Good but not Great"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Good pay
    Nice discount
    Paid training

Cons

Spotty hours
    Slow business
    no customers

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many people for a more cositant and more postive environment

7. "Best Beast"

Former Employee - Appliance Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Appliance Associate in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is some formal training but after that all training is done by computer

Cons

Finding help from a manager, not gonna happen.

Advice to Management

Be with your sales force. They will work harder if they think you do.

8. "Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here is my Co workers. They make the time go by and help me to keep a level head dealing with management.

Cons

The downside to working here us our management team. They all are motivated by greed and power. Always talking down to the ACTUAL workers.

Advice to Management

All the management team need to be replaced. There is no help for the current. Since that can't happen, you guys to put on our shoes and realize that we are people too.

9. "Best Buy Mobile"

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Good discount, fun coworkers, a variety of small short term incentives, schedule flexibility (even for students), latest and greatest technology and ways to learn about it

Cons

Management having to send down orders from corporate, strict goals (especially on credit card applications), no commission for cell phone sales (unlike Best Buy's other cellular competitors)

Advice to Management

Focus on customers rather than goals, better compensation for Geek Squad and Best Buy Mobile employees (they make the bulk of the money).

10. "My experience with this company has had a few high spots, but for the most part I am extremely unhappy there."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to work with people, and have learned a considerable amount that I can take with me into a new job

Cons

The store manager plays favorites a lot, which is not conducive to a happy environment, and it has been extremely difficult for me to find help in certain aspects of the store, regardless of who I ask

Advice to Management

Playing favorites for positions is hardly a good way to keep employees happy, especially when they are dedicated and hard working. Neither is refusing to help them when they ask and telling others not to help them either.

Showing 21 of 15,240 reviews