Best Buy Reviews in Birmingham, AL | Glassdoor

Birmingham, AL Area

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "Pretty Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really liked the people working there. Coworkers seemed to be higher quality than typical people you would expect in a retail environment. The working environment feels professional and responsible where it needs to be, but it is also relaxed as well.

Cons

The work can be tedious and frustrating at times. Scheduling can be unpredictable for certain positions.

2. "Good Job for Devoted Individuals"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Fultondale, AL
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Fultondale, AL

I worked at Best Buy part-time

Pros

Much of the staff is kind, friendly, and eager to help one another. It's a fast paced environment and management expects a lot of of their workers.

Cons

The pros can be a con to some, despite being a part time job, there were still many high expectations of you.

Advice to Management

The e-learnings don't teach much at all, and are relatively useless in the grand scheme of things.

3. "Excellent work enviornment"

Current Employee - Phone Operator in Alabaster, AL
    Current Employee - Phone Operator in Alabaster, AL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for going on 4 years, and cant bring myself to leave. The pay is competitive, and varies by department and skill level. The people you get to work with are super nerds, and you will always learn something new. If you are someone who likes to keep up with the newest technology, this is the place for you.
    The discounts are crazy good, and the bonuses don't suck either.

Cons

It can get dull after the rush of the holiday season. And the pressure to sell branded payments (store credit cards) can be annoying.

4. "Overview of my experience"

Former Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate/Temp Supervisor in Fultondale, AL

I worked at Best Buy full-time

Pros

The management at the Best Buy where I worked was excellent. Helped me get promoted within a short time. Working in a fun fast pace environment was really fun.

Cons

No cons in my experience

Advice to Management

Work on personal and professional goals with employees more often.

5. "Great"

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Alabaster, AL
    Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Alabaster, AL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, great managers, willing to work with and around schedule, learning environment, able to advance if wanted, great employee discount

Cons

People get away with so much, not the same rules for everyone, what may apply to one person is not the same for another.

6. "Sales consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Hoover, AL

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

You get great discounts on merchandise even though based on hours you still might not be able to afford, and also you work with some pretty cool people overall.

Cons

Not enough hours, no commission, to move up within the company you have to be messing around on the side with upper management.

Advice to Management

Equal Opportunity

7. "Enjoyed Working There"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Birmingham, AL

Pros

-Fun work environment overall. Great employees to work with and team environment in store.

-Pay is very competitive and fair compared to other retailers

-You get to work with exciting products and keep up with the latest and greatest CE Technology

-They promote a culture of growth and development. Provide many tools for training, training here is better than any other retailer I have worked at especially for management.

-If you make a decision to take care of a customer or not to, they are good about standing behind you to enforce it. As long as the decision makes sense and is ethical they will back you up every time. More freedom to make decisions in situations than some other retailers.

-Overall I would say more often than not they do what they can to take care of the employee. Their philosophy is all about taking care of the employees who will in turn take care of the customers. Just like anywhere else there are good stores and bad stores, you can usually tell the culture of a store just by walking in and seeing how the employees act, if they are happy and engaging with customers or not. Same with upper management. You could have a great supportive district/regional staff or a bad one, been part of both in the same district as they would cycle through. When things are clicking though its a great environment and it shows all the way down to the

-There are challenges and successes, good and bad here as there are anywhere, but can't complain about my time there. I truly believe the company wants to take care of their employees and customers. Really enjoyed working there overall and took a lot away from my experiences there. I learned a lot during my time with the company that really shaped my management skills and through the ups and downs they helped me to be more successful in my career.

Cons

-Not a great work-life balance. Hours aren't quite as bad as they are for managers at other retailers, but still not great.

-Very political. Promotions often do not weigh as heavily on performance as they do who you know. Not saying performance has no weight, just it doesn't help as much as who you know. If you can get in well and talk the talk it doesn't necessarily mean anything if you get the best results. Often interviews were just formalities and going through the motions. They knew who they were promoting but they had to hold open interviews either way.

-Many managers will throw others 'under the bus' to cover up their deficiencies and get away with it. Whether you were hourly or salary in many stores if you aren't in with the right people you could be gone quickly, very cliquish and can seem a lot like you're back in high school. There are politics at any job but it can be quite discouraging with how they handle it here.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a fun environment that encourages growth and development and back it up. Work on rewarding and promoting more heavily for performance than people who talk the talk or are friends with upper management.

8. "Pretty good!"

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Consultant in Trussville, AL
    Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Consultant in Trussville, AL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good managers that were out to help me in my weaknesses because I was not a natural salesman.

Cons

Sometimes you will work some long hours, especially on holidays! But that comes with the job.

Advice to Management

All I can say is make sure you are not pressuring your workers for sales but help them get the proper tools and work with them to get them where they need to be. I feel that is really what helps my store 1004 work great as a team.

9. "It was simply, ok."

Former Employee - D I Sales Associate in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - D I Sales Associate in Hoover, AL

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of my coworkers were a lot of fun, and I got to meet some really cool customers constantly. Technology is forever evolving, so you'll get to play around with gadgets for most of the day, while you educate people on different products in your department.

Cons

Could be really slow some days, but that's to be expected. Some coworkers were very unprofessional. Management wasn't all that great. Sometimes, favoritism was shown, and that could mean a decrease in your hours.

Advice to Management

Be more open to your employees feelings.

10. "Ups and Downs"

Former Employee - Project Team Lead in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Project Team Lead in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has good intentions
    The Treat most of their employees fairly

Cons

Pay scale is not on board with others in the same business
    no career path for a merchandiser

Showing 31 of 15,266 reviews