Best Buy Reviews in Bloomington, MN | Glassdoor

Bloomington, MN

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 451 reviews)

• PTO when first becoming full time is unbearable low (in 519 reviews)

1. "BBY is a Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Demand Planning Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Demand Planning Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Best Buy (More than 8 years)

Pros

They care about their employees. Just look at what they are doing for all those who are affected by the natural disasters we have been dealing with over the past couple months. Check YouTube if you want to see a great video on what BBY did for their employees in Puerto Rico

Cons

Since I work for a big local company everyone thinks we all make a ton ofmoney

Advice to Management

Keep it up and make sure to keep putting your employees first.

"Become a Master of big kid toys!"

Former Employee - Magnolia Home Theater Systems Designer in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Magnolia Home Theater Systems Designer in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best Buy has an excellent training program and makes sure that their salesman, service crews, and system designers are always in the know. And when one person feels a lack of confidence in their ability to answer a question there is always an associate a text or walkie away who has an answer. Best Buy’s network of knowledge is vast and stores and teams are never afraid to talk to each other.
    The culture of the company is amazing. Always promoting teamwork and a family environment from one team member to another. Best Buy also, while still goal oriented for salesmen, is not a psycho stickler. This shows in the way a sales associate is taught to sell. Where higher dollar amounts are not always the way and that sometimes even Best Buy itself isn’t the way. But we always say yes and we always help the greatest ability we can.
    Best Buy is also excellent in the way that it promotes from within. Even a part time or seasonal associate can look forward with comfort, that if they want, promotions and pathways to either corporate or leadership exist for them.
    I loved my years at Best Buy and absolutely recommend them.

Cons

While teamwork is often emphasized as a must, there are some disjointed system and definite disconnects in communication. A major example of this would be between different sects if the company such as store associates and Geek Squad installers. Best Buy store associates will sell new home theater systems or home computer setups and accompany them with Geek Squad installation. Geek Squad will show up at the home blind being oven nothing but notes about the sale and what their meant to install. For this example well go with install and mount a new tv. The store associate eagerly sells this bundle but has never seen the clients home ore where they intend to mount. So now Geek Squad is asked to mount over a fireplace and their is no power and no suitable studs to mount that new tv. So no the client is disappointed and Geek Squad is out in an awkward situation that will lead to rebuttals at the store. It’s a struggle to have all the many groups that run Best Buy firing on the same cylinders. But with any major group problems are expected and like many other company’s this issues are addressed and handled to the best of Best Buy’s ability.

Advice to Management

Work on the communication of your crews. For Managers of Geek Squad to Managers if store teams and Magnolia. You need to share with each other and with your respective teams the expectations and limitations of your own team. This will prevent strife between your employees and the endless frustration you handle on a daily basis made by the lack of communication or understanding in what one another has to sell or do.
    ESPECIALLY Magnolia and Geek Squad. Geek Squad needs more training on advanced Magnolia products so they are more comfortable installing it and less prone to advise different products or install incorrectly. And Magnolia salesman need to be allowed more lenience with selling non Mag product. Sometimes it is GOOD to sell mainstream accessories with the high end goodies.

3. "Best Buy is Back!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

-Always provide a way to expand my skills
    -Fantastic Benefits
    -The culture is very welcoming

Cons

-Sometimes a focus can be more on the numbers and data to justify a position, less on the quality of work being brought forth by the position.

4. "I Love Best Buy!"

Current Employee - Geek Squad CIA Agent in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Geek Squad CIA Agent in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work culture, effective coaching, very clearly set goals, lots of opportunity for advancement in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul area near the corporate offices, awesome discount, job can be a lot of fun!

Cons

Sometimes sales numbers can be hard to attain, some of the virtual learning courses are a little tedious.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work,

"Great Place to work but not as competitively compensated"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, free parking, lots of exposure to technology, and large clean building. People are generally very nice. Great PTO, starting analysts get as much as 23 days PTO and work-life balance is very nice. No need to stay late or work weekends like Amazon or other work-to-the-bone environments

Cons

Pay is not as competitive as other fortune 500 retailers. This lack of pay is the primary reason I heard of for people to want to leave.

Advice to Management

Work environment and people are amazing but utilizing pay incentives quickly becomes necessary if you want to retain top talent.

6. "Great culture!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Best Buy (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people make the company a great place to work!

Cons

Last minute deadlines and projects can be stressful (yet exciting).

7. "IT Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As the IT organization is very large, there is great opportunity to learn about any facet from Operations, Architecture, Processes, to InfoSec.

Cons

You are there to work and are replaceable. If you want to learn something it will be on your own time. Everything also comes down to the costs - short term decisions may be made if they cost less than a better long term solution.

8. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee Disocount is kind of good

Cons

No Commission when you doing sale for them.

9. "Finance"

Former Employee - Financial Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leader in the Industry and Discount

Cons

Lack of long term direction

Advice to Management

Find more innovation

10. "Too big of a company for my taste"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time

Pros

Well structured and organized. The company has gone to great lengths to insure that their employees have been properly trained to perform their duties.

Cons

There is very little encouragement or incentive to voice your suggestions on how functions can be improved or streamlined. I felt like a very small cog in a very large machine.

Advice to Management

Work on seeking input from all team members, regardless of their position within the company or how long they've been employed. Sometimes the best ideas come from those that you least expect it from.

Showing 19 of 15,607 reviews