Best Buy Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

Best Buy Boston Reviews

Updated May 21, 2018

Boston, MA Area

3.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to perfect (in 474 reviews)

• hours were not always the best considering im a full time student (in 544 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Inventory in Everett, MA
    Former Employee - Inventory in Everett, MA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers are reasonable and easy to talk too, tasks are easy.

If your willing to stick it out a few years it wouldn't be hard to move up.

If your trying to crank in hours they'd be happy to give them to you.

Cons

Revolving door for employees, often leaves you covering more tasks as your employer finds new hire.

Also felt like a lot of favoritism went on, but most likely due to the amount of people coming and going.

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep people? Maybe better pay? I'm sure you guys will automate these roles down the line anyways. Otherwise the culture is great.

2. "The job itself wasn’t bad, but the management tactics were awful."

Former Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Newington, NH
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Newington, NH

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being able to walk around and interact with various people. It was a change of pace, dependent on the customer. It is also easy to grow in the company, BUT there is a limit to that growth.

Cons

Management thought passive aggressive comments and micro-managing was the best way to ‘encourage’ an employee to sell more. Also, the company has taken away simple ways to reward the employees. An example is they used to offer store credit if an employee went above and beyond (sold a lot, got a lot of credit card applications). I have heard since leaving that they no longer do that.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees! If an employee is selling 20+% over goal, don’t micro-manage them!

3. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great discount and accommodations from vendors. decent pay and fun if you really talking About tech.

Cons

Management has certain disconnect with its employees. numbers determine their mood and atmosphere of a store. pay is capped and its very hard to get a raise. very demanding of signing up a customers for a best buy card. I don't feel like I can ever speak up to management about my problems with them and how we do things.

Advice to Management

have a more human approach with your employees and don't stand around and watch actually help customers too. have open line of communication and be open to criticism.

4. "Not the city."

Current Employee - Asset Protection Associate in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Associate in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looking for a job, got interviewed quickly. Received a conditional offer with background check. It came back within a week.

Cons

Too many young people. Need to change the AP Specialist to door greeter. Not all stores apprehend shoplifter's. Or least give a trespass notice.

Advice to Management

You all need to be on the same page with communication with you employees.

5. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good values, good pay, fun environment

Cons

Nothing really different from other jobs

6. "Great place to wrok"

Former Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Salem, MA
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Salem, MA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Get to work with a bunch of new tech.
    -Help people out solve everyday problems.
    -Management is chill (for the most part).

Cons

-Pay is low.
    -Some managers can get power trippy.

Advice to Management

Be nice to your employees, just because they work for you doesn't make them less of a person!

7. "samsung expert"

Former Employee - Samsung Expert in Saugus, MA
    Former Employee - Samsung Expert in Saugus, MA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people and the discounts are great!

Cons

they expect you sign so many people up for cards. hassle switching days with other employees. you have to wait such a long time for such a small raise

Advice to Management

don't care so much for best buy credit cards. we can have such a good sale day but if we didn't get any cards it was the end of the world to management. Also give your top performers dollar raises every year and not just like 50 cents.

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training is extensive- knowing nothing of tech is no problem, you will know what to do when you hit the floor
    No commission = no predatory sales tactics. Point of sales is to provide whole solution to customer and any halfway decent salesperson will be very well off
    Standardized internal operating procedures at all stores, transferring is a breeze
    Computer systems are easy to use
    Average pay, good bonus structure for line level associates
    Easy to request time off, my management was good about it

Cons

I think this all comes down to who is a part of the team's intermediary management. In my case at two locations, general managers had a good idea of what is right and were good, driven leaders. It was the supervisors and management below them who were iffy. With department lead roles, as well as supervisors over them and an assistant store manager too, there are just too many leadership roles. The company tries too hard here and it ends up with people who are not fit to lead, well, leading. In my experience, I had a departmental lead who oversaw 6 of us, and another supervisor who oversaw one other department plus ours. There are quite frankly too many people telling you what to do. The people I worked with were unusually power-trippy folks, and it created noticeable tension among everyone. My stores were also unusually clique-y and it was downright aggravating hearing about inclusivity and teamwork while management repeatedly played buddy-buddy with tenured associates.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the department lead role. All it creates is a super empowered sales associate who is not incentivized to do anything other than continue to sell. It gets annoying having to deal with 1000 people who are all just trying to get a leg up in the company.

"Could be decent with a change in leadership"

Current Employee - Geek Squad Advanced Repair Agent in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Advanced Repair Agent in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is pretty good, and the pay is okay for a "mall job". There are also alot of tourist that come here which can be interesting to meet people from all over the world.

Cons

Most of the managers working here are very rude, and don't even know how to help other employee's when they don't know how to do something, and instead of saying they don't know they will happily mis inform you.

There is rampant favoritism in this store, unless you work on the sales floor and consistently make big sales and get new credit card sign ups you are looked at as worthless. If you aren't one of those sales people you can forget getting Sunday hours (time and a half) and you can forget getting promoted or getting to take PTO when you want

You don't really get any training until you go to induction which could be months after you get hired. Even then Induction only somewhat prepares you to do your job. There usually isn't anybody in your department that can show you how to do something since most people quit in less than a year of working here.

Employees are encouraged by management to sell things to customers that they truly don't need. If somebody just wants a computer to go on facebook and skype with their grandkids they don't need a $3000 macbook pro. If a college student just wants a TV for their dorm room they don't need a $2000 Sony TV.

Advice to Management

It seems that alot of the managers working here are unhappy. I understand not liking your job but you shouldn't let it reflect on your interactions with subordinates and the customers, if you really hate your job so much then go work somewhere else and stop making this store a horrible place to work at.

10. "Good place to work, until they decide money is more important"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raymond, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raymond, NH

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, excellent direct leadership, supportive, provide resources to develop self

Cons

Frustrating work scenarios, difficult to schedule for task completion, deciding to eliminate my team and my job after 10 years to cut costs

Showing 154 of 16,403 reviews