Best Buy Reviews in Bowie, MD | Glassdoor

Bowie, MD

2.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "Good place to work at in the interim of searching for something better"

Current Employee - Connection Sales Consultant in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Connection Sales Consultant in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively good pay (for retail); you stay busy; you'll probably make good friends; learn about cool products; good discount on accessories and accommodations on cool products (mobile phones and plans, smart watches, routers etc.); you actually get to feel like a professional and not just any old retail employee

Cons

Long hours; some customers (and employees and managers) can be annoying and rude; alot of micro-management; you're expected to hit your numbers; pay could definitely be better for all the work you're expected to do; some of the duty requirements and kind of silly and complex for no reason (ex. you're expected to come in, fill out a check in sheet with all your performance metrics and overall store performance, find a manager to sign it, report to your department (where more than likely it'll just be you to handle an onslaught of customers and you'll be understaffed, always be ready to answer the phone and look for products people can't find, help other departments, offer for them to apply for the best buy credit card (you must get one for every 10 hours you work); fill out a RIDICULOUS "customer recommendation worksheet" for every customer interaction, go through all the says and dos they train you to do with every customer, write your name on their receipt so you can hope that they fill out the survey they get in their email and give you a good score, print another receipt for yourself and take note of this on you check in sheet (every sale) AND clean up at the end of the night, scanning every place in your department with a scanning gun so you can see if the product is anywhere else in the store so you can place it there; you have to do this and not go into overtime or you might get written up; also, they have meetings at like 6am... some of them just to drill you about performance expectations.

Advice to Management

Please get rid of CRWs... they are not needed and just kill trees; also, we need to get paid based on individual merit... if you're hitting your goals consistently your should make at least 30% more than other ppl in your role who are not.

2. "interview"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

nice place, good opportunity, nice pay

Cons

favoritism, poor management, poor benefits, poor team members

Advice to Management

be more professional

3. "Not VeryHonest"

Former Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Bowie, MD

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would have to say the pros about working at Best Buy, is that when the profit margin is surpassed, everybody that works in the store receives a bonus.

Cons

When I first took on the job, I was told that I was a part-time employee, which at the moment I accepted because I needed a job. After two-weeks of training, the GM gathers all of the trainees in a room to announce that were all hired as temporary seasonal help. I was very upset. I will never apply to Best Buy again.

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire as seasonal help, it would be great to let the new hire know this before taking on the position.

4. "Decent Place to work"

Former Employee - Home Entertainment Specialist in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Home Entertainment Specialist in Bowie, MD

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was great getting to work with and learn about all the latest technology especially being a tech enthusiast,the discount was really nice too.

Cons

management at times cared too much about sales and not enough about employee experience, holiday work schedule was very demanding especially as we began opening earlier and earlier for black Friday and Thanksgiving

Advice to Management

Focus more on employee and consumer experience happy employees make great workers, and an amzing customer experience makes for loyal customers.

5. "Job not a career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

Pros

Great discount
    Great job while still in school
    A good transition into a semi professional environment
    Very good about scheduling work around personal life such as school, church, family
    Good benefit package for fulltime employees

Cons

No career advancement
    Lack of job security
    Too much interoffice politics
    random early morning meets that serve no purpose

Advice to Management

Encourage employees more
    take a more hands on managing approach
    lose the 4AM pre-black friday meeting, or any other early morning meetings the employees gain nothing and its a waste of time.

Showing 5 of 15,248 reviews