Best Buy Reviews in Brooklyn, NY | Glassdoor

Brooklyn, NY

3.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 431 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 500 reviews)

1. "Retail - Who Loves It?"

Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great discounts, mostly great team members. The best way to grow is to make the best sales, have a good relationship with your peers, and always have great rapport with customers.

Cons

The hours can be a little much, and they will take advantage of their employees at times. Not everyone will communicate on the same level, favoritism shows consistently at Best Buy. Employees were getting hired at a later date than I was and received $2 more pay for the same amount of work.

Advice to Management

As a customer, I would not appreciate how hard employees try to sell services to customers who cannot afford it, who do not need it. Making competitions out of who can sell the most Credit Cards in a day was not my style - which is why I left the company and found a better opportunity.

2. "It's ok"

Current Employee - Nikon Camera Expert in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Nikon Camera Expert in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Best Buy (More than 3 years)

Pros

The tuition reimbursement is really good and the discounts on certain products make it worth it at times. Also when it comes to support or training provided by Vendors those are really fun

Cons

Sometimes corporate goals set aren't feasible, also Management can make or break your experience depending on the location....the rules set by your management team can be asinine and make no sense

3. "Fun for a while"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers can be great to work with

Cons

Too many cliques, different departments usually dislike each other.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing, stick to your zone.

4. "Pretty Alright"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun co workers
    Pretty decent discount
    Heads up on new games and technology if that's what you're into.
    Work with your schedule if you're in school

Cons

Supervisors have a bit of favoritism in them
    Had to work on Thanksgiving

5. "Favoritism at it's finest!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on some of the best electronics, great coworkers, lots of customers so you're not just standing around not doing anything for long periods of time.

Cons

crappy hours at time, managers are ever satisfied not even when you exceed your goals.

6. "Experience from Stock to Specialized Position"

Former Employee - Project Team Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Project Team Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You have room to improve and you have constant access to learn about new technologies coming up, but that's only if you outright go and look for them. If you take time to read and participate in their online learning courses and/or events sponsored by manufacturer you're able to learn a lot. Some stores have very good management and you are compensated for bringing positive attitude and production to your work efforts.

Cons

At entry levels in retail, the stores can have a very high school atmosphere feel in how they work. Like in the "Pros" section, some stores have very good management. Growth is tough if no one likes you or it looks as if you are not performing up to standards. If you don't take the time to ensure that you have an outside life, they will take advantage and keep you for long times. At times you're often picking up the slack off other co-workers who are either tired of being there or are already on their way out.

7. "Mesa"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Best Buy (More than 5 years)

Pros

its a place to work, and we good people

Cons

The management team is Horrible

8. "Gaming Division Consultant"

Former Employee - Gaming Division Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Gaming Division Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good co-workers and customers
    Decent salary

Cons

Large focus on sales during non-holiday seasons.
    Forces you to travel to other departments to harass customers to get a sale. On your butt when there is nobody in the store.
    If someone in your department screws up, you and anyone who was there will be written up.

Advice to Management

What do you expect us to do when there's no customers in the store. Don't get on our cases on sales when we can't sell anything to anyone. We can't make money come out of thin air.

9. "Great place"

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

Works with schedule, decent pay, some great managers ,and awesome people to work with.

Cons

Lack of coverage on most days, managers keep labor cost down by putting one employee in every department on certain weekdays. Stress employees.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding of employees, get up of your butts and help if u want to keep labor down by scheduling only one of us.

10. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Experience
    - Working for a multi-billionaire company looks amazing on your resume
    - Appropriate Training (You don't need to have a lot of knowledge on what you have to sale. As long as you're willing to learn and have amazing people skills then you'll do fine. They train you all the time. There is always something new to learn.)
    - Decent pay compared to other places that only pay minimum wage
    - Great connections
    - Other job opportunities (in store or in district)

Cons

- Everything becomes repetitive quickly. The first couple of months you'll feel really passionate about your job and you do everything in your will to make sure you hit target and goals so you can make that money but eventually as time goes by, it all becomes tiresome and you lose that drive that you initially come in with.
    - Management is everything and your store relies on their vibe. If you have terrible management then your entire store does bad. If your store does bad, then you won't make good money.
    - Time and attendance is a big deal and if you aren't on it when it comes to your shift then you WILL be fired.
    - Never be on management's bad side because I promise you, they'll find the smallest thing to fire you for if you do. I've seen it happen before.
    - Pay is not equal. I started at $9.50 when I first joined the company as a part timer. Every year you receive a small annual raise. Now I get paid $11.50. I know a couple of new part timers that recently got hired that started off with $11.50 and working the same job description and department I work.
    - If you aren't a top performer, you don't get recognized. Management becomes really bias with who performs really well then those who don't. This obviously makes sense being the fact that you should be doing what you need to so that you are hitting but they begin to single you out and public shame you for not being good enough like those who hit all their targets all the time.

Advice to Management

- Treat line levels the same way you want district to treat you. End of story.

Showing 36 of 14,768 reviews