Best Buy Reviews in Cambridge, MA | Glassdoor

Cambridge, MA

1.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Working all holidays (work/life balance)" (in 481 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 554 reviews)

"Great place"

Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone there is usually great to work with. The people hired are picked based on theor friendliness so whatever team you're part of will be easy going. The pay is great for a retail job plus the discount is fantastic

Cons

The only downside are the lack of employees in certain departments. I was in the cellphone/mp3 area and we had few employees. When it comes down to that you'll have a lot of hours. Another con was the lack of training I received.

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training is extensive- knowing nothing of tech is no problem, you will know what to do when you hit the floor
    No commission = no predatory sales tactics. Point of sales is to provide whole solution to customer and any halfway decent salesperson will be very well off
    Standardized internal operating procedures at all stores, transferring is a breeze
    Computer systems are easy to use
    Average pay, good bonus structure for line level associates
    Easy to request time off, my management was good about it

Cons

I think this all comes down to who is a part of the team's intermediary management. In my case at two locations, general managers had a good idea of what is right and were good, driven leaders. It was the supervisors and management below them who were iffy. With department lead roles, as well as supervisors over them and an assistant store manager too, there are just too many leadership roles. The company tries too hard here and it ends up with people who are not fit to lead, well, leading. In my experience, I had a departmental lead who oversaw 6 of us, and another supervisor who oversaw one other department plus ours. There are quite frankly too many people telling you what to do. The people I worked with were unusually power-trippy folks, and it created noticeable tension among everyone. My stores were also unusually clique-y and it was downright aggravating hearing about inclusivity and teamwork while management repeatedly played buddy-buddy with tenured associates.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the department lead role. All it creates is a super empowered sales associate who is not incentivized to do anything other than continue to sell. It gets annoying having to deal with 1000 people who are all just trying to get a leg up in the company.

"Could be decent with a change in leadership"

Current Employee - Geek Squad Advanced Repair Agent in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Advanced Repair Agent in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is pretty good, and the pay is okay for a "mall job". There are also alot of tourist that come here which can be interesting to meet people from all over the world.

Cons

Most of the managers working here are very rude, and don't even know how to help other employee's when they don't know how to do something, and instead of saying they don't know they will happily mis inform you.

There is rampant favoritism in this store, unless you work on the sales floor and consistently make big sales and get new credit card sign ups you are looked at as worthless. If you aren't one of those sales people you can forget getting Sunday hours (time and a half) and you can forget getting promoted or getting to take PTO when you want

You don't really get any training until you go to induction which could be months after you get hired. Even then Induction only somewhat prepares you to do your job. There usually isn't anybody in your department that can show you how to do something since most people quit in less than a year of working here.

Employees are encouraged by management to sell things to customers that they truly don't need. If somebody just wants a computer to go on facebook and skype with their grandkids they don't need a $3000 macbook pro. If a college student just wants a TV for their dorm room they don't need a $2000 Sony TV.

Advice to Management

It seems that alot of the managers working here are unhappy. I understand not liking your job but you shouldn't let it reflect on your interactions with subordinates and the customers, if you really hate your job so much then go work somewhere else and stop making this store a horrible place to work at.

4. "Sales consulting is easy here, but there's too much pressure from the company to make better sales."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For an entry level job there are great benefits and a pretty decent pay. Promotions happen internally most of the time, so moving up isn't an issue if the store's doing well. Also if you like technology, then you'll always be kept up to date on everything.

Cons

Selling the same things every day gets very repetitive. Also there is an extremely large emphasis in selling what best buy wants you to sell and not what the customer wants. Also too much pressure to sign people up for the credit card.

Showing 4 of 17,041 reviews