Best Buy Canada Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Big emphasis on targets, no commission (in 28 reviews)

• Pressure to sell warrantee without any commission (in 10 reviews)

1. "Good opportunity"

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for improvement and climbing the ladder, interaction with people, great benefits, teamwork environment, E-voice, training sessions, perks.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of something. There is a lot of pressure, and I do not think it is a con.

2. "Corporate culture transformation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being new to the company, I wasn't sure what to expect. As a brand, Best Buy isn't something globally recognized, but the environment they've created for employees at CHQ is really quite impressive.

From what I've gathered, they recently went through a massive culture transformation with the help of the highly acclaimed CHRO, Kamy Scarlett. The 'Be Amazing' mantra is a value you can see people striving for every day. People here actually thank each other on a daily basis and help out when they see someone struggling.

My manager is in the top 3 I've ever had. She is extremely dedicated, empathetic and supportive of change and new ideas without ever micromanaging. She, like many in the office, have been with the company for 10+ years, and have a wealth of knowledge about the industry.

The eCommerce group has recently gone through an Agile transformation, and the positive results are already showing. The product stream teams are extremely quick and energetic about their sprints and accomplishments. The SVP, Thierry Hay-Sabourin is a passionate and thoughtful leader, and I'm confident that he will continue to help evolve the digital business and truly improve customer's experiences.

Cons

The pay scales are completely out of tune with the rest of the tech industry. I think it will be a real challenge for the company to attract top talent if they aren't able to compete with the likes of Facebook, Google, Amazon and Microsoft.

Advice to Management

Continue inspiring and rewarding the talented people you have at CHQ. The people are the best part of the organization.

"Doesn't uphold the cultural values it aspires to - NOT AMAZING!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to play the politics and hope you don't get fired in the annual "cull" then you could have a long career here....maybe.

Staff discount

Cons

- Politics, politics, politics
     - Incompetent Senior Managers who are promoted in to positions they have no experience for
     - Meetings about meetings about meetings - whoever can shout the loudest and is in the club will be heard, everyone else is ignored
     - Unless you come from the almighty Retail you'll probably be overlooked
     - If you work in a support function you'll be treated like dirt
     - THE WEBSITE DOESN'T WORK....whilst availing of the staff discount I was delivered a smashed 50" TV, couldn't order a simple pair of headphones without having to go to the store to be told they weren't there, overcharged twice

Advice to Management

Not sure what can be done...there's too many layers and it all hinges on the basis that if people keep buying online it will work out somehow

4. "Overall not a bad place to be."

Former Employee - Connected Sollutions Salesman in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Connected Sollutions Salesman in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall it's not a bad place to work, you meet some good people, and make plenty of working relationships and the benefits aren't half bad either.

Cons

Pay is alright but could definitely be better.
    Management is alright but far too pushy for sales and can't seem to set their sights on properly treating their employees.

Advice to Management

I understand​ sales are what make the business run but sometimes you can get more sales if you lay off pushing the employees to just push sales and actually find out where the employees talents lie.

5. "Connected solutions specialist"

I worked at Best Buy Canada part-time

Pros

Great place to work, good experience for someone starting into professional sales

Cons

Slow to none progression, cannot make a career, no commission or insentive​ to sell services and if you are highly skilled and competent but not available everytime they call for shifts, you will be overlooked by management

Advice to Management

Give incentive to sell services does not have to be monetary, but something more than just a pat on the back.

6. "Best Buy Canada Review"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many learning opportunities within the work environment. With proven hard work, it is very rewarding and common to move up within the company.

Cons

Inconsistent and radical changes in the amount of work hours for part timers due to the demand depending on the time of year.

7. "Working experience"

Pros

Fun place to work. All electronic gadgets makes it exciting. Good bondings between employees. Decent company benefits if you are full time.

Cons

Not enough man power to complete job/ task. Too much pressure of numbers. Difficult to balance family life due to long hours of work.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic on their demands.

8. "Amazing company"

Pros

- the hiring process is thorough
    - great District and Regional Management support
    - open door policy
    - once or twice a year, you have the opportunity to anonymously voice your concerns and/or say what you love about the store/company
    - amazing flexibility for Management with (growing) families
    - health coverage and how affordable they are
    - Pension options
    - stock options
    - Maternity top-up
    - peers are a lot of fun to work with
    - District, Regional and even Territory Management will visit the stores and interact with all the staff. From Seasonal staff to Management, they will be sure to find out how they're doing on a personal level.

Cons

- it's big box retail. You will have those days where customers will yell at you and be rude - even when you're doing everything in your power and limits to help them out.

Advice to Management

Keep up the support

9. "Meh, wouldn't recommend."

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff discount, part time and full time benefits

Cons

terrible scheduling, can't call in sick because NO ONE to cover, everyone hates working there, lame work environment although they try to make it "fun", always short staffed and therefore customers always complaining about service - head office doesn't give a crap, always making "exceptions" for return policies so customer service is never consistent from one person to the next and repeat customers have different experiences.

Advice to Management

Terrible budget for scheduling/staff on duty, never enough staff. Keep that in mind for stores that receive a lot of traffic. You're losing customers by not having enough staff to attend to them. Make sure your policies are generally consistent.

10. "Fun and dissatisfied"

I worked at Best Buy Canada part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co workers, fun times, good benefits! I have good memory's for the most part, they have some stuff they need to fix.

Cons

Management! I'm pretty sure half the higher ups don't realize how corrupt the departments are! I hate the people I use to work for they are unfair, and unjust!

Advice to Management

Get new management