Best Buy Reviews in Cherry Hill, NJ | Glassdoor

Cherry Hill, NJ

2.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to perfect (in 474 reviews)

• hours were not always the best considering im a full time student (in 544 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Cherry Hill, NJ

Pros

I love my job, my coworkers, and the company itself. Managers do a good job with recognition, support, rewards, and just managing in general. Great customer service and good pay. Also, amazing discounts and accommodations.

Cons

Arrogant self entitles customers are always a pain but that comes with any job in retail or otherwise.

Advice to Management

Company events, get togethers, bbqs, dinners, are good to boost morale.

2. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

few great coworkers but It's like high school all over again, so many catty people! especially management.. it's a good starting job, people tend to hire you if you've worked at BestBuy.. pay is better then minimum wage, but only expect .10-.50 cent raises depending if management likes you.

Cons

There is no room to grow. They continuously lie to you. esp. they say they're here to help but aren't! management doesn't care about their employees. we got a damn cookie for Christmas! has nothing to do with your performance - they rig everything.... no hours only during holiday season.

Advice to Management

advice to HR: hire a new management team!

3. "Friendly cow-worker"

Current Employee - Mobile Wireless Sales Consultant in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Mobile Wireless Sales Consultant in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

team work but the company ask more than they paid

Cons

LOWER PAY but good cow worker

Advice to Management

Increase the employee salary

"Good experience overall"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great atmosphere to work in and a lot of great people. I was going to college while employed there and never had a problem changing my schedule every semester to fit around my class schedules. There are some great managers, and there are some poor managers- just like anywhere else you will work. In my experience there are many more good ones though. You also get an amazing employee discount. Even though some customers will be a hassle for no reason, most are great.

Cons

The pay. If you are just looking for a job to coast in and earn some cash it is okay. On the other hand, if you are looking to excel and are constantly outperforming your peers, it gets to the point where you may feel like the company is taking advantage of you. It's not the store managements fault, it's in the hands of corporate.

Best Buy employees don't make commission, contrary to popular belief. But the salespeople still have quotas they are supposed to meet. I've never seen anyone get fired for not meeting them, but you will get hounded if you don't. The employees do have the opportunity to earn monthly bonuses if, depending on how corporate is doing it at any given time, they hit their monthly numbers. Just like any other job, some people will coast along and just do what they have to do to get by. If you are constantly performing at a high level, when it comes time for bonuses, everyone gets the same bonus. After a while you will get tired of hustling for the benefit of everyone else. Especially when it comes time for your yearly review and, after being a top performer in your area all year, corporate only approves a 20 cent raise. Lol. I stayed for a while after that because I liked the people I worked with, liked having extra money, and the work experience looked good for the career field I'm entering. But to be honest, you could make more waiting tables and have much less stress.

Some customers will also be a pain for no reason. It still amazes me how some people act the way they do. Regardless, you just take care of them. Most customers are fine though.

Also, depending on what department you work, there are a lot of products you have to learn about. If you work in the Home Theater department, for example, you will be responsible for selling a quarter of the stores products. It can be a lot to learn if you aren't big into technology. Just make sure that if a customer asks a question you don't know the answer to, your honest and tell them. Then find someone who can give them the answers they need. The customer will be happy.

Advice to Management

If you want people to push themselves to excel, give them a reason to do so. Paying everyone the same bonus at the end of a successful month just gives people the incentive to let others do all of the work for them.

If you want to keep your top performers, you should allow store management to dictate pay raises. You've lost a lot of good salespeople because your corporate office won't pay them. If you don't, all that will be left after a while, especially now that you have reorganized and cut labor in half, are those salespeople who have spent all of their time riding on the coat tails of others.

5. "Great experience, not so great environment"

Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent (CA) in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent (CA) in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The fellow employees are amazing, the culture and the opportunity is also good. Employee discounts are great as well. Some employees have no clue whats going on, but in my store I find that most are pretty smart and know the product. Management is nice,

Cons

Not enough work/life balance. Pay is low compared to the work load expected from us. Customer expectation is too high. I don't think loyalty is rewarded as well as it should be.

Advice to Management

For the amount of work load expected from us, the pay needs to be much much better.

6. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Willing to work my schedule around school, competitive, and great people

Cons

They could pay better considering the amount of work you do.

Advice to Management

Award higher performers more

"In my four years at Best Buy I have had and seen varying experiences within the company, the most memorable are negative"

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training opportunities.

Somewhat flexible in terms of hours.

Good job security. Although turnover rate is roughly 50% and you will get violations if you're over 4 minutes late toward your termination.

Discount is very nice.

Cons

Underpaid.. there will come a point where your knowledge and work load is not industry equivalent and they use bonus gimmicks and other incentives such as more hours for the better sales people.

No commission..

It is easier to get a higher paying job elsewhere than to get a raise or advance in the company.

Unrealistic expectations set by in-house management.

Advice to Management

Invest in your human capital... pay people appropriate wages... I am a tech making 13 dollars an hour... with four years of work experience and I am capped at a possible 15 which my GM says I wont hit for years.... seeing executives and board members receive million dollar bonuses when the company isn't even performing while the line level people get short changed isn't very motivating.. especially when I am making slightly more than minimum wage vs. inflation with an advanced skillset....

Numerous times I have seen people with great skills, sales people, managers, and techs leave this company for better paying jobs... attract skilled labor that is invested in the wellfare of your company and you will do well (eg. CostCo) and CostCo workers aren't as skilled as our people and they average near double...

Showing 7 of 16,369 reviews