Best Buy Reviews in Cleveland, OH | Glassdoor

Cleveland, OH

3.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance but its retail" (in 479 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 547 reviews)

1. "Best Buy gets it! Very focused on employee development and customer service. Truly a fantastic company!"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome opportunities for advancement, the employee discount, networking within the community, recognition sets the bar high, monthly events within the community to give back to surrounding area, fun environment, culture is employee driven.

Cons

The work life balance is the real struggle. Working retail hours can be difficult if you have a family. The only con I have about Best Buy is that they now open on Holidays such as Thanksgiving. I truly believe that time should be spent with family, this is the only reason that I left Best Buy and I still miss working there and the culture.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the culture. So many great things are happening there. Keep it up!

2. "Remote Service"

Current Employee - Remote Service Dispatcher in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Remote Service Dispatcher in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, discounts, work from home.

Cons

No room for advancement. 5 years of top performance doesn't mean anything when the rare opportunity for a promotion arises. Most of the work performed is outsourced now which is low quality.

Advice to Management

I used to be proud to say the work we were performing was done by agents in the US and it was a huge selling point for our services and plans. The agents see the poor quality of work being done as well as our clients and this needs to change.

3. "The most unprofessional place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount, thats basically it. There's a few nice people but not really, it's kept pretty clean overall but still terrible.

Cons

Unprofessional, misogynistic, disorganized, just over all terrible, took 3 weeks to get me started, lost my phone number, told me not to worry about the drug test because they never sent me the information to take it, never had me fill out an I-9, didn't get me a password to check my schedule but my manager texted me to ask if I knew I worked a certain day. Just a complete crap show.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and start over

4. "Fun and challenging."

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with people. Great employees. Employee discount. Challenging and fast paced. Management was fun and fair. They're good about promoting from within.

Cons

The hourly wages just aren't there. Great for younger adults and teens. Too many absurd acronyms and generic sales techniques. Just let the sales staff do their thing.

Advice to Management

Pay your supervisors and managers more competitively. I witnessed countless leaders of the store quit for entry level positions that paid better.

5. "Good not great"

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

Great work environment
    Good learning opportunity
    Fun staff, good pay for what youre doing
    There's a lot of cool technology to play with

Cons

Retail can be a demanding job
    Customers can make life very difficult
    Managment can be overpayed while underperforming

Advice to Management

Take more pride in your employees, show them appreciation, take more responsibility for short-comings and they wont happen as often

"Not What I expected"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great Salary bonus incentives for managers
    -days off during the week

Cons

-Company would focus on their marketable training idea of the month-which really just took away from providing actual customer service or listening to the customer.
    -Not enough time to train all new hires (because with budgets, you only have so many people working at a time)
    -always on call, phone rang constantly. I would leave the country for vacations just to get a break
    -I don't even go back as a customer

Advice to Management

Really focus on the customer's needs, not checking off a box on your sales tracker, and the sales/profits will come. Employee may provide a great customer experience-but if they don't check off those boxes on the current sales tracker, it isn't recognized.

"Geek squad home theater"

Current Employee - Double Agent in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Double Agent in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always meeting new people. Get to play with the latest electronics. Very challenging keeping you on your toes.

Cons

It's a big box store, sometimes you get lost in the system.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about Wall Street, on paper the company looks great but it's falling apart at the employee level. You need to pay your line level employees more than Walmart to keep the talent coming in to work for you. Eventually the customers are going to notice that they know just as much as the employees because they looked at a review of the product before they came in.

8. "Nice company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice discount and very flexible with scheduling

Cons

Not much room for growth with the company, or at least not at my store. Have worked with the company for 8 years and have applied for multiple openings in leadership in the store, but it seems they have an agenda with who they'd like to have those positions.

Advice to Management

More room for growth with the company. Managers in stores are too biased and will play favorites with who they'd like in certain positions.

9. "Speciality Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great discount, co-workers are awesome.

Cons

work/life balance, pressure to perform, turn-over

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on things that aren't as important.

"Great Experience but Some Management Issues"

Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable pay starting out, management cares about your future with the company, and is open to allowing you to move around in the store.

Cons

Most supervisors are incredibly lazy and don't do a thing. They say that they are to high up in the company to sell and deal with customers and that if a customer dare ever begin to talk with them it is your duty to pull them out of the conversation and take over for them so they can resume doing nothing. I just find it ridiculous that they are paid twice what sales associates are paid and think they should do half of the work. I understand the GM and the AM's needing to be kept out of selling because they actually have to deal with business operations, but the supervisors are supposed to sell and are tracked on their sales but the managers allow them to be lazy. There is no need to have a supervisor for every department especialy since they get paid almost $20/hr to do nothing. That is my only complaint about the company; supervisors are lazy and pointless, and the managers let them get away with it.

Advice to Management

Cut down on supervisors. The manager structure is great having one GM to oversee an Assistant Manager of Operations, and an Assistant Manager of Sales. However at the next level down there should only be 2 supervisors for the store not 10!! The concept of the "leader" position is a much better idea and each department should have a lead, but one that is expected to sell and actively engage to the same standards of the other sales associates. Best buy currently employees this method for some smaller departments but it is ineffective and again wasteful of resources. There is in every store a "Front End Leader" and a "Back Office Leader" which makes no sense because they are essentially the same position. The Front End Leader does Back Office tasks and does not assist the Front End Team at Customer Service or Front Lanes. Now to be fair there is not necesaarily a lot of work to be done at front end so it is not necisaeily his/her fault but the position has to go because they only need one customer service rep and one MCSA, if there is an issue the Back Office Leader could assist.

My Idea for In Store Structure:

General Manager
    -------------------------------
    OPS AM and Sales AM
    -----------------------------
    (2) Floor Supervisors / MOD's
    -------------------------------------
    Dept Leaders (Held to same sales quota)
    ----------------------------------------------