Best Buy Reviews in Colorado Springs, CO | Glassdoor

Colorado Springs, CO

2.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 431 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 500 reviews)

1. "Ok jobs"

Current Employee - Covert Dispatcher in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Covert Dispatcher in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and ability to work from home

Cons

Outsourced jobs to India to cut costs

Advice to Management

Keeps jobs USA based

2. "If you like to see mediocre promoted, go work at Best Buy"

Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Start in warehouse or front lanes and then work on getting promoted to manager to tell the sales people how to sell.

Cons

Don't shine at store 298 the secret is to be thoroughly mediocre if you want to get a promotion.

3. "Good for a young adult"

Former Employee - Store Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

Get a feel for what the customers want.

Cons

Dead-end career path for product consultant.

4. "Horrible policies"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent selection. But that's about it. Ugh there is so much wrong with you people I can't even enumerate them all

Cons

They have so many policies in place to screw over the customer. You need to check your prices before and after making purchases because they magically change.

Advice to Management

Stop screwing your customers

5. "I am not a snake charmer, but I did work in a snake pit."

Former Employee - Shipping & Receiving in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Shipping & Receiving in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time

Pros

I didn't work here long enough to find any pros.

Cons

- Toxic culture; also promoted by certain people in management
    - Disgruntled employees
    - Casual setting instead of professionalism
    - Associates complain or bad mouth customers over the walkie-talkies (and is not frowned upon)
    - Associates who have negative remarks about everyone in the store
    - Safety procedures are non-existent. There is either "it's obviously safe" or "if it seems like it's dangerous, find another way to do it." Procedures are NOT defined.
    - Everyone complains that sales floor people don't do anything but stand around and talk all day. I noticed it, but I wasn't there long enough to give any further explanation.
    - Merchandising Specialist job is about 10 jobs combined into one. Half of the jobs could easily be responsibilities of sales floor people or other. This flows into the realm of job requirements/responsibilities aren't, in technicality, structured properly through function. It's more like: "you work in the back so it's your responsibility now," or "we don't want to be bothered with it since we're doing X."
    - Requested a consistent schedule and I got the most random hours that were probably made through picking out of a hat.
    - The store’s inventory management system is a complete and utter mess. Makes difficult for accountability, inventory, merchandising, and troubleshooting inventory issues. Company/store’s mindset is that you have to be here long enough to know where everything is. There isn’t a system to research locations.
    - Was told by a manager that my job is volatile and that I can replaced at will. Need I say my job was threatened??

During the course of working in the warehouse only for a couple weeks, I found out quickly how poisonous of a culture this store has. I quit because of it.
    Word to the wise: Do not tell anyone about your personal life or anything related to professional prospects. Don't trust anyone at this store!!
    I know from experience because after three weeks of employment, I was called in for a meeting to be interrogated about my supposed job opportunities I had discussed with coworkers. During the course of the conversation, I was told that my coworkers reported me and everything that I was saying but not only that, most of what was told had a bad twist to it. Although I didn’t enjoy certain aspects of the job, it was tolerable but word was that I flat out hated it and was waiting for the first opportunity to quit. Those of who I worked with even went as far as to say how much I didn't like the company although I made the effort to learn about, apply, and convince my way into Best Buy. Everything that was said about me was a stretch of the truth and after quitting and discussing this with the store manager, it became apparent that me that being hired from outside of the company pissed off a lot of internal incumbents who wanted my job so naturally, they wanted me out because “I didn’t deserve the job” and therefore, they conspired against me. I for a fact knew many of them wanted this job because when I got hired on, they said they had applied for it and they expressed - even to me - their disdain toward management for having made that decision.
    Many of the current employees are part-timers and were hurting for both the extra bump in pay as well as the benefits. Being that they have worked there for a while and had hands-on experience, they felt entitled to a promotion. What lead to my calling into the manager’s office was a mistake I made by letting people know I had other potential opportunities elsewhere. Later, I realized that what they were doing was FISHING.
    Examples I heard:
    "Hey, I heard X is hiring, I went and applied there (yesterday)"
    "My (relative) works at X and can get me a job there. I applied so I should be hearing something soon. What about you?"
    Yes, "what about me?" They took what I said and through power of numbers, made a formal complaint to management about me apparently getting ready to leave (after just being hired), which I wasn't. I only scored a couple interviews and waiting to get word back.

They also fished by telling me various aspects of the job that they didn't like such as:
    "AP is the most boring job in the world. You have to be so fake and peppy when greeting customers."
    "I hate customers."
    "Sometimes I hate my job because other people screw up it make it more difficult for me... So, how's your job going?"
    And that’s how they set you up.
    That's how these sneaky employees there do it. We always had group discussions about these things, but I guess I'm the unlucky one that everyone wanted to get rid of all because they wanted my position, hours, and benefits.
    A lot of those people have been there a long time and are trying to find a way up the ladder so this is one of their tactics of making it. The backroom warehouse is a snake pit! You’ve been warned!

Advice to Management

While being casual to your employees is in retrospect a great idea, I believe that creating a dialogue of professionalism is much more important and steers your employees in the same direction.
    Use better logic in creating job responsibilities.
    Define and enforce safety procedures.
    Fire your workers who create, support, and promote an evil subculture within the store.
    Don't treat your employees as tools or objects, treat them as valuable and non-expendable people who you need.

6. "Administrative Supervisor"

Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Best Buy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Management and co-workers are amazing with great attitudes and promoting cross-training

Cons

opportunity for growth is limited with the company constantly restructuring positions

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing

7. "Actually a fun and fast workplace"

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

I was lucky with the team I was placed with in Home Theatre. Each member of my team really wanted to help the company in anyway they could. The competition was a great way to push each other to succeed.

Cons

Not commission based. I was a top performer but after I realized that there is no real reward for working so hard, its hard to keep pushing yourself to excel.

Advice to Management

Get back to Commission based Salaries.

"An Everyday Stress Test"

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

retail education, teamwork, black friday stories

Cons

poor leadership, high turnover, poisonous culture, chaotic, soul sucking

Advice to Management

Pay your employees. Promote who deserves it. Make work more enjoyable.

9. "Quality of job dependent on location."

Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great fellow associates, great discounts.

Cons

Management is awful and high turn over.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees horribly if you want them to stick around!

10. "The team I worked with was awesome, the company is very indecisive about major changes, lots of bad managers."

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome environment with other employees, cool products to work with all day, and in a couple of months you will be schooling everyone you know on electronics!

Cons

Lots of terrible management that a lot of the time only care about you "numbers" and performance. Which sadly, in return creates a impersonal experience with your leaders. Changes from corporate that trickle down in to stores a lot of the time feel "inaccurate" to what actually is going on and the changes usually don't fix or help to make the customers or employees experience better. Seems like corporate is out of touch with its stores. EXTREME lack of communication all across the board.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees input more. LEARN HOW TO SCHEDULE! Finally, make accurate communication to employees on what is being said to you from your GM and DM! Stop hoping they figure it out on their own.

Showing 14 of 14,766 reviews