Best Buy Customer Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Customer Service Representative

3.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "A really great place to work, if you're serious about it"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is pretty great (BBY brands and Geek Squad Protection Plans especially), and the company as a whole is promoting a pretty positive message to its employees. From the two locations I've worked at, most employees do love their jobs and make the place very fun. Management at my store can get strict when they need to, but know when you're doing your best and when you might need a helping hand.

Cons

Branded payments (credit cards) and GSP are pushed way too heavily at my current store, even if you're not a salesperson, and a lot of new hires end up not knowing enough about either to really recommend them (management was flippant about our virtual training, and most didn't pay attention during lessons about the credit cards or GSP.) Excellent employees who go above and beyond have been let go due to low GSP/Branded Payments.

2. "Customer Service Associate"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, company that shows respect for employees.

Cons

Not strict return policy with customers.

Advice to Management

More consistent policy enforcement

3. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Working Environment .
    Great Benefits .

Cons

There are No Cons .. None .

Advice to Management

None .

"No wonder why the GM left..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rapid City, SD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rapid City, SD

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly flexible schedule, the discount was okay (just on certain products). Great diversity in the work place, love the co-workers.

Cons

They take attendance, like you're in high school again. Not very flexible for employees with families. Overworks and underpays. No benefits for part-time employees. Manager admits that he received a bonus, but wasn't sure if the other employees (who actually do the work for him to get that bonus) received a bonus. Favoritism in the work place. For a non-commission sales job, it certainly feels like a commission sales job. Management is extremely pushy on upselling products. I worked here for nearly 3 years, and have only received just barely a 35 cent raise. Most of the new hires make more than the seniority workers. If you aren't liked by management you are merely ignored unless you're doing something wrong. Expect to get taxed heavily on your paycheck for using your employee discount. You will also not receive the same benefits as customers when using your employee discount, such as a 18 month financing promo offer or the chance to bank points for rewards on your next purchase. If you're looking for great benefits, this isn't the place. Part-time employees get absolutely no benefits, including but not limited to health insurance.

Advice to Management

Stop making your employees work on Thanksgiving, it sure shows your greed. Might as well just say "we are thankful of you working for us, so much so that you MUST not EVER spend time with your family, even if you had plans far in advance to visit them out of state." Stop treating your employees like your little minions. Show some integrity and respect for your hard working employees and give them the bonuses they so much deserve. Stop belittling your employees, give them a chance to succeed. When you lack appreciation, your drive really slows down!

5. "Okay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orange, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orange, CT

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers who are still friends although I no longer work there. great repeat customer experiences. Helps keep me updated on technology.

Cons

Management likes to hire only people they like not people who know how to do the job. Worked part time 3 years and never allowed me full time but gave me full time hrs

6. "Customer Service - Better Retail Store"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

For retail, Best Buy is one of the better stores to work at. The better there are interesting and fun to interact with, and the work you'll be doing isn't as brain dead as some other places. Pay is decent for retail. If you're truly looking to stay within the business and go up the latter, it isn't hard.

Cons

If you're going into customer service to truly be customer service, this might not be the role for you. Our job is to assist customers with issues, but really, we also have to sell product warranty. It's not as aggressive as other places, but it still takes the focus away from actually helping customers.

Advice to Management

Divide customer service and cashier/selling. Those who want to just cashier and sell should be one employed role, and those who want to provide actual customer service should be another role.

7. "It is what you make of it, and whatever position you apply for."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good for a big box store, pay is above minimum wage [Texas], discount is great if you have outside income to spend, or have been saving up.

Cons

Indifferent managers[could simply be my location], corporate demanding more and more despite you giving your all is demoralizing to say the least. Pay, despite not being bad, isnt enough to survive in Austin.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people, and they will take care of you. Continue leaving them out to dry, and you will keep this very aggressive turnover rate. And by god, don't claim you promote from within if you exclusively do the opposite.

8. "Pros out weigh the cons"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good, better than most jobs. They have cool incentives like reaching budget for a month will get the whole store a bonus. Time and a half for part timers on holidays. Double time and a half for full time. They have cool events for the employees sometimes. Also the discounts are nice.

Cons

Only 30 hours a week and your best is never enough there's always room to improve.

9. "Think long and hard before you ever apply."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Elmhurst, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Elmhurst, NY

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to meet a handful of cool and friendly co-workers.
    Pay and employee discount is decent.
    (This is why I rated 2/5 stars)

Cons

Managers that are unwilling to train you or even help you improve.
    No room for growth.
    Majority of employees lack interpersonal skills.
    Short staffed ALL the time, so customers get frustrated.

Advice to Management

There NEEDS to be better management, better training for employees as well as new hires considering the interview and hiring process. It feels like a every man for himself and this is not at all what I thought it would be like. Employees with OUTSTANDING communication skills should be employed, not ones that harass customers into applying for a credit card but miss to even ask the customer how was their shopping experience. You cannot expect to have a great team or a great store if you continue to have people who aren't customer driven in leadership positions. It's absolutely ridiculous that I most regular sales employees seem better suited for leadership roles than the ones that are currently "managers/supervisors". Hire people that WANT to assist customers. I love customer service and I love helping people as well as fellow employees but this is not the environment or workplace I see myself continuing with. Be more selective of who you hire to represent your store let alone your company.

10. "Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are great training tools always available to you in the form of e-learnings online, as well as a sales training induction course that really teaches you the art of selling complete solutions. I gained a lot of people skills and dealing with confrontation skills that I will never forget after 7 years of employment. Always being up to date on the new technologies coming out was one of my favorite parts. The employee discount is very decent, especially on accessories.

Cons

Pay is definitely a downside. Very low when you realize how much you must learn and the performance goals you must reach. After 7 years there I was making not even a dollar more than the new hires walking in the door. I was in a "not so great" location and pay does vary by area apparently. They do treat you as if you work on commission even though you don't. Your appraisals are based on the store performance as a whole rather than your individual performance, which can be very discouraging when your personal goals are met or exceeded. Favoritism from management was also a big issue in my store and began to affect everyone's performance.

Advice to Management

Push harder for your star employees who deserve to be fairly compensated for their dedication, especially your senior staff who have given you years of their life and hold everything together. Properly discipline all associates when they break the rules, not just your "least favorites." If an associate must pick up duties from a position higher than their current role, for a long period of time, pay them appropriately for the duties done. Bring back the 'Have Fun While Being the Best" motto I grew to love when I first started.