Best Buy Customer Service Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Customer Service Specialist

3.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance but its retail" (in 479 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 547 reviews)

1. "Good for Retail"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is supportive and encourages thought on the job and growth as a person and a profession. 401k, benefits, PTO, sick leave, and good hours.

Cons

Motivational style of some managers can be harsh.

2. "A Very Friendly Environment"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All managers were approachable, friendly, and seemed to care about employees. The work environment was generally friendly, and bonds were created quickly.

Cons

Heavy reliance on e-learning meant those who required hands on experience fell behind. Sometimes understaffed and apathy from some employees meant others had to pick up their slack.

Advice to Management

Be closer to your employees, but don't hover over them, especially new and inexperienced employees.

3. "It's a good paying job and is super flexible"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling (especially for students)
    Decent pay (especially during holidays)
    Good work environment
    lots of room to move up

Cons

Some minor management issues but every store is different

Advice to Management

better communication between leaders and employees

4. "Very slow not much to do very little recognition"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Brentwood, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Brentwood, CA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The different deals you get instead of not working here

Cons

Not the greatest on hours not a lot of training

Advice to Management

Change the rewards expire date it doesn’t make any sense to the customers or employees at times

5. "Good for a part time job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Discount, Friendly Co-workers, Nice break room

Cons

Fast-paced, Little training given, Management was not very friendly

Advice to Management

Needs to listen to employee's availability more closely

6. "Know What You Sign Up For"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't speak for all locations because each one is different. Since I have left, a lot of the management that was staffed there during my employment has been terminated and fully re-equipped. It's a decent gig to have between jobs or if you're a college student. If you're a full-time employee and furthering your education, they do tuition assistance programs. And based upon the staffing at your location, managers may be pretty cool. Occasionally you may meet a few celebrities and athletes as well. Would I go back to Best Buy? Only if need be and I would choose another location.

Cons

Aside from it being one of the largest stores in the district, there were approximately 5 different General Managers in just my short term of a little less than a year of employment. The location I worked for had a high employee turnover ratio, constant change, pressure to sell Geek Squad Protection plans and credit card applications to each and every customer, short-staffed, and constant pressure to work more way more hours than scheduled or to push become full-time with no raise.

And the work/life balance is terrible. Beware, holidays and weekends are a given because it is a retail job, so don't accept the offer if you are a traditional Monday-Friday 9-5 person. Not to mention I lost a sibling who served for the Armed Forces 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. Due to the matter, I had to go out of town. Although I had notified my department manager of my loss, I was called to show up to work the day after. Furthermore, 3 days into my bereavement leave, not only was I scheduled for Black Friday shifts but also asked when did I plan on coming back. Lack of communication, privacy and no respect for military families.

Advice to Management

Learn to listen and communicate with your employees. Instead of spending tons of computer-based training, train managers how to be humans and not robots. Retail is the art of marketing, not becoming a nuisance to consumers. No one wants to shop and being constantly harassed to purchase something knowing it's a want and not a need.

7. "Customer Service Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, no commission so you are never pressured to sell something to someone who doesn't need/want it. Compensated fairly. Personally, my store's management was iffy but I am sure most stores are great places to work. Not to mention the employee discount is an awesome benefit.

Cons

Hard to get promoted as management is not going anywhere anytime soon. Plus moving from a store to corporate is not an easy task.

Advice to Management

Put you'r employees in departments that they want to work in. I saw so many people unhappy working in their department when across the store a certain dept. was struggling as the people in there did not want to be there, and the people that did want to work in there were unable to. I know so much about computers and sales but despite months of asking to move to the computer department, I remain in customer service.

"Full Time Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best Buy was a fun environment to work! The employees and management all worked well together and cared about each other. I enjoyed working closely with products that I use on a daily basis. Also, it is great to get a discount on products that are things I actually use.

Cons

Customers can be really mean because the return policy is extremely short. This caused many issues that had to be handled by management because customers sometimes became irate. Working the holiday season was also never fun because Black Friday is more of a "Grey Thursday" now since Best Buy opens at 5pm on Thanksgiving (so be prepared for that).

Advice to Management

Go back to opening on Friday for Black Friday! Your employees want to spend the holidays with their families and not with crazy customers.

9. "Solid work environment, Incredible employee Discount"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had more fun working retail for electronics than other retail positions I've held. Employee discount and accommodations make this job absolutely worth looking into. Incredible discount on electronics offered at Best Buy.

Cons

Some metrics used to measure performance aren't as realistic in certain positions, especially in customer service.

10. "Best Buy Review"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Maple Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Maple Grove, MN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly environment, fast paced, and good benefits. Plus you get to work with technology.

Cons

Their store hours are relatively short, so there is less flexibility in your schedule for part-time employee.

Advice to Management

The management at Best Buy (at least at my location) does a great job. Not much advice to give them.