Best Buy Reviews in Farmington Hills, MI | Glassdoor

Farmington Hills, MI

1.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "Inventory/Merchandising Supervisor"

Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and short term incentives

Cons

Merit increases and growth opportunities

2. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount. But before I worked here I'd rarely spend my money here. And certain products worth buying recieve no discount anyways. This is a great place to work if you're willing to turn yourself into a Best Buy Kool-aid drinking automaton.

Cons

I agree with many other reviewers. The "corporate structure" is a complete joke to management. If you're not their friend you're not advancing period. I feel particularly singled out in my store by the assistant manager to the point that I feel everyday (when I'm given enough hours to survive) that I'll be fired. I was moved to another department with no conversation or notice. Uncomfortable glares from across the department. Talking behind my back in closed doors. Favoritism is plentiful here.

Advice to Management

Follow your own corporate policy's to the letter. If you have a problem with a specific employee talk to them instead of punishing in your own way. Stop wielding your position like a broadsword and ruffling feathers. Corporate is trying to "Renew Blue" but isn't doing much to make their employees happier. The stores themselves maybe. But as they will soon find out in their own internal review there are many issues at the store associate level that need to be addressed in 2016. Hubert July may still be racking in the cash but his employees are not happy. Do not work here as a sales associate! Go earn what your worth at another salary + commission electronics store.

3. "Decent place for retail work."

Former Employee - Gaming Sales Associate in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Gaming Sales Associate in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours during the holidays, and there were always opportunities to pick up more.
    I was a seasonal hire, but I was recognized for my performance and given an opportunity to continue on. I was moving for school, so I didn't. Still, it's nice that they valued good employees.
    Fairly frequent sales competitions give you a chance to make a bit more money.

Cons

You're expected to know a good deal about the products you're selling going in, or to do a fair amount of research on your own.
    Customers are generally clueless about technology- be prepared to answer a lot of basic questions.
    They really push the store credit cards, and you're expected to as well. Just part of working retail, I guess.

Advice to Management

Train more on how to talk about products and less about how to get people to sign up for a credit card.

4. "Fun"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn about new products through required training and really good discount. Fast paced environment and time goes by quickly.

Cons

Service plans are over priced and pushed hard by managers. You don't get hours if you don't sell my service plans.

Advice to Management

Don't be so hard on employees that don't want to rip off customers with overpriced service plans.

Showing 4 of 15,256 reviews