Best Buy General Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

General Manager

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 431 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 501 reviews)

1. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Vineland, NJ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Vineland, NJ

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An amazing company that allows growth opportunities and prioritizes the employee and customer experience.

Cons

Best buy is always a step ahead therefore op model changes occur about every 3 to 4 years.

2. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Best Buy General Manager in Quincy, IL
    Current Employee - Best Buy General Manager in Quincy, IL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good, with good benefits and Solid leadership. Great products to work with and new technology coming out all the time.

Cons

Retail is difficult. Customers can be very upset over things you can't do anything about. Working with such cool stuff makes it hard to not spend your whole paycheck back in the store.

3. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - General Manager in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing. Hard work pays off with this company. Be patient and don't be afraid to start at the bottom.

Cons

I really have no cons. Any 6 figure job is going to be hard work. You have to be humble to work as a leader here.

Advice to Management

Keep celebrating diversity!

4. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is great, good benefits and bonuses.

Cons

Company focuses more on 'feelings' than sales and operations.

5. "Review"

Former Employee - General Manager in Manalapan, NJ
    Former Employee - General Manager in Manalapan, NJ

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast pace and room to grow if your timing is right and you have the right people helping to get your name out there.

Cons

Retail life can be a challenge. Finding balance between work/life will be one of the hardest things you have to do.

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile General Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile General Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee discount is awesome. Also get accommodation pricing in a vast array of products direct from the vendor's, which are heavily discounted.

Cons

Hours can be long especially during thanksgiving and Xmas. Labor is limited and hours must be filled by the GM

Advice to Management

Greater appreciation of the work performed. Provide additional labor to help ease the burden on the GM's.
    Also need to pay hourly employees a better wage if you want to retain them.

7. "Best Buy"

Current Employee - General Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good place to work. Company Cares about employees. Management is good to us.

Cons

Dirty Retail work schedule is tough. 10a-8, 11a-9, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on!

8. "Good company to work for with a lot of benefits"

Former Employee - Best Buy General Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Best Buy General Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The employee discount is excellent. Good but not great pay. Friendly environment to thrive in. Lots of things to learn about in store

Cons

Favoritism in management, when district staff wants you gone they will find a way to make it happen, work life balance isn't great.

Advice to Management

Be trustworthy. It's not a good look to openly lie to employees to get them to do what you want them to do

9. "Life at BBY"

Current Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Values based company who looks out for their own. Opportunities for advancement when you are willing to put in the work. Management who looks to promote their own.

Cons

Not necessarily transparent in all things. There is opportunity in giving the why behind an action to the line level/customer facing persons within the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster growth from within and building a values based culture where people can be proud to work while at the same time open up more to the line-level to give a better forecast of their company's future.

10. "General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inclusive environment where individuals can grow professionally. Your are not limited by your educational background and previous employment experience. If you have drive and the ability to embrace speed and change coupled with an ability to learn and grow, the sky is the limit at Best Buy. They are an ever evolving company that understands that both the internal (employee) and external customer are the key to their success and sustainability. I had started as a part-time merchandise specialist (stocking) and crew to an assistant manager in 2 years. From there I was able to continue to develop my business acumen and leverage my personal abilities. After being able move around the business to acquire talents in all areas of the store and operating model, I was able to achieve the position of general manager. This was not the ceiling for what was available to me and I/you can be continue to market manager, Territory manager, Divisional manager and corporate positions as you find your niche.

Cons

As with all large companies, the company values can get diluted as you trickle down the leadership hierarchy. There are a lot of fantastic and inspirational leaders in this company. However, there are also some leaders that will see people as simply tools to get the job done to their benefit. This is where a person that would do anything for a company they believe in, will give it up and try to find another place that can again appreciate contributions. People generally don't leave companies (especially when they love them), but they certainly will leave poor leadership! Ensure you do your research on Employee Satisfaction Indexes by market.

Advice to Management

To Hubert Joly and the rest of the senior leadership at Best Buy, I commend you on your ability to right the ship and continue the journey for this fantastic and beloved company. I just would hope that you could ensure when you see indicators in markets that you have unusual turnover levels of tenured leadership that has proven performance, employee satisfaction index, and customer satisfaction index. It should be questioned immediately! Especially if that same market may be a catalyst for ensuring proper ethics is reiterated.