Best Buy Reviews in Harrisburg, PA | Glassdoor

Harrisburg, PA Area

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best Buy offers good pay, discount and benefits.

Cons

The hours in the beginning of the year could be better.

2. "Best Buy Merch"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount. Wholesale +5%. Chargers, cables, and anything Insignia is dirt cheap. However, some items have little to no discount.

Pretty flexible scheduling as a part timer. Typical shift is 7-11 or 7-3 in merch. Leaves the rest of the day open to do whatever

Most employees are friendly and hard working

I handle the media (games, movies, CDs) at my store which gives me a nice, stable weekly routine that I've grown to enjoy. Most merchandisers are specialized to do the same sort of task every week to increase efficiency. But everyone learns how to do everyone else's job in case they aren't there or need help.

Decent pay for retail. Average start is $10-11/h in merch with yearly reviews based on performance that can lead to decent pay bumps. With previous merch/retail experience you can ask for more per hour.

Cons

Work can be tedious and dull at times

Good/bad management can make or break your experience

If you're in merch be prepared for 6-12 or 6-2 shifts for adset (scanning every tag in the score and replacing the ones that change) every Sunday. Calling off hands off all your work to your co workers. Don't call off on Sundays

Merch has to work very hard to keep up with the sometimes ridiculous workload handed down from corporate. Especially with a small team. This work doesn't always feel appreciated by management

Advice to Management

Appreciate your merchandisers! Along with our pals in inventory, we keep the store functioning! If you didn't have all that product on the shelves you wouldn't sell much would ya?

3. "GeekSquad HT Field Agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dicount. Ht agent hours were tuesday to saturday. 8 to 4 and 12 to 8 on tuesday.

Cons

You live and die by surveys. Managers would put you in situations where you could get bad surveys. You need 19 good surveys to offset one bad one. Your raise is based off of surveys. So basicaly managers would put you in situations that drastically hurt your ability to get a raise.

If your talented they espcially send you to fix other peoples mistakes. So if the store messed up selling something, or another agent screws up, they send you to fix it. Then your in a situation where the client is upset and no matter what you do, if they fill out the survey poorly if reflects you. So now, on paper, your thr sole person accountable for their ehole experiance. They survey question "would you reccomend bestbuy" has to be 9 out of 10 or you failed. So if 75% of their experiance is poor, and you fix it and do a perfect job, they still may not reccomend bestbuy, or give you an 8. Even if in the comments they state that the store experiance is bad, but you were perfect, it does not matter. And management just tells you that its your job to turn that situation around. Then comes raise time and they tell you the system is automated and because of the negative scores you get 8 cents. Literally happened.

The actual work is great. But the constant cycle of getting berated for fixing problems is just outright defeating.

Some managers have no idea how long jobs take. Had a 7 hr job (on a day that was booked already for 7.5hrs out of 8) shrunk to a 30 miute timeframe to fit. When I asked my manager why my day got 6.5 hrs longer(they really didnt want us to get overtime at the period which was fine. Depending on budget they allow overtime or disallow it. And its elective. Except christmas season is a little different), i was told to make it fit. Then i was yelled at for getting overtime, by the person who assigned it to me...

I wasnt going to write this but they just laid off a large number of agents (who saved me alot with tech support) to outsource. And it just reflects how the company cares less and less about the employees who made it great

Harrisburg in paticular has a GeekSquad management problem. The stores were bad but as of 2015-2016 they had good managers

Advice to Management

Dont suck at your job then screw your employees.

4. "sales manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great pay, great compensation system.
    Get to focus on doing a job you enjoy

Cons

hours are very long, especially during holidays.

5. "Mobile Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile - Sales Consultant in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile - Sales Consultant in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Fun environment and friendly management with lenient duties. Work time went fast with going through the carrier services with the customers. Also all while sitting which was a plus.

Cons

A lot of standing around time depending on location. Occasional angry people coming in with unrelated issues to Best Buy. No commission tho which was a bummer.

Advice to Management

Not much to improve on in my location. A new GM was appointed right before i got hired and everything seemed to be running smoothly.

6. "So far has been a great time. Sometimes unrealistic sales goals but all in all a great company to grow a career."

Current Employee - SAS General Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - SAS General Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Non commissioned environment, District and Territory staff are involved with the stores. The employee discounts are killer and always ways to grow as an individual through trainings, development events, and mentorship.

Cons

When your salaried they work you to death. PTO is a little weird in PA and how it works. Being non commissioned is great but also means we are missing out on extra money potential

Advice to Management

Labor increases would always be great but understand its the easiest aspect to control. Everything else so far has been great and I look forward to many years more here!

7. "Operation manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Best Buy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and good discount

Cons

Work long hours and holidays

8. "Best Buy Mobile SAS Lead Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company, very employee focused and driven. A very well managed company with unlimited career potentials!

Cons

Pay is a little Lack Luster, but once you are established with the company your pay will reflect it!

Advice to Management

Don't focus so much on the negative, be more optimistic about the good things that are happening in your locations

9. "Home Delivery Specialist"

Former Employee - Manager in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

Great work schedule for all employees

Cons

Long hours during holidaysemployees but good compensation

Advice to Management

Overall great job

10. "Retail can be fun."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enola, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Enola, PA

I worked at Best Buy (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Fun to sell the newest and great tech.

Cons

Corporate changes every year that upset the stores structure internally, as well as make it harder for employees to advance within the company.

Showing 18 of 15,263 reviews