Best Buy Reviews in Hartford, CT | Glassdoor

Hartford, CT Area

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 431 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 500 reviews)

1. "Surprisingly good place to work"

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Simsbury, CT
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Simsbury, CT

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My expectations were low when I started as I had worked exclusively for smaller companies. For a big company, BB really has their priorities straight. Looking at their corporate philosophies and policies show that leadership really knows what they're doing. My store in particular is a really fun place to work.

Cons

Culture of store is very heavily dependent on management. If they're good, then you're good to go. If you have a bad one, look out. Also, despite the excellent corporate policies and messaging, everything goes out the window if revenue goals aren't being reached.

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, CT

I worked at Best Buy part-time

Pros

-Decent Pay
    -Advancement Options
    -Employee Discount
    -Overall Positive Experience
    - Friendly co-workers (During my experience)

Cons

-Somewhat stressful, depending on how you handle hardships such as reaching goals and being micromanaged. It was personally fine for me.
    -Difficult customers at times, though this comes with pretty much any retail job.

Advice to Management

Push employees to simply be honest while still being informed about the product they are trying to sell. That way they can feel good about recommending a product. Be "real" with your employees and try to feel like an actual person to them. Let them feel like themselves, and build a sense of trust and most importantly treat them as competent people, otherwise you wouldn't have hired them. I know most aren't even guilty of this, but take it as a friendly reminder.

3. "Depends entirely on local management"

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Manchester, CT

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Performance bonuses
    Great employee discounts
    Very easy to advance
    Decent starting pay

Cons

Shift work
    Nights/weekends
    Strictly graded on performance metrics

Advice to Management

Stop hiring incompetent people, let customer service do their job without needing a manager override every 2 seconds

4. "Great place to start a career"

Former Employee - Sales & Operations Supervisor in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales & Operations Supervisor in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun and friendly work atmosphere. Great products, training, and customers. Plenty of opportunity to take leadership roles and to stand out from your peers. If driven, the path to supervisor, assistant manager, and even general manager is within the reach of most.

Cons

During my time, the company went through a reorganization which caused my supervisor position to be eliminated. Luckily, I was able to laterally move to another supervisor role, but this experience was a firm lesson on the power of a public company's stock price and the decisions of its shareholders. This instability, inevitably, led to my departure.

Advice to Management

Keep things fun and light. It is easy to get lost in the chase for numbers, but at the end of the day, a fun-loving employee will have more impact and effectiveness on your customers than someone just looking to land a sale. Try to remain the technology experts, and instead of selling, provide guidance and advice to all customers. They will undoubtedly appreciate it over the miriad of online (impersonal) product reviews, and just might come to you for all of their future technology needs.

"Mobile Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Manchester, CT
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Manchester, CT

Pros

Non-commision environment. Room to Excell to an extent. Great discount. You only pay cost for a product. Can be really good if you can sell. Learn various new skills to become proficient in your job.

Cons

No-commision would mean less stress when it comes to numbers right? Nope every category counts you need to have perfect sales to be praised.

Advice to Management

Be less sales based and more customer based. I've seen too many times a customer be bothered about getting insurance or another accessory. Ask once if denied that's it

6. "A completely "meh" Job"

Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in West Simsbury, CT
    Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in West Simsbury, CT

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts for employees

Cons

Management does not really hear you out if you have a complaint and they want you to do things their way and their way only which is no surprise for a giant retailer like Best Buy. Customers can be incredibly entitled when it comes to lowering the price on a product or trying to get deals. If you don't have customers to deal with then you have a whole bunch of busy work that management makes you do, which to me was the absolute worst part of the job

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees if they have ideas or concerns

7. "Management has lack of training and expects everyone else to do the work for them"

Former Employee - Best Buy Multi-Channel Sales Associate (MCSA) in Newington, CT

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Typically good work schedule. Good for those looking for a stepping stone for a better job.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for growth, have to know the right people to further your career, management is out for themselves and numbers/not the customer.

8. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant/Customer Service Representative in Ellington, CT

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced , easy to learn , and a positive atmosphere.

Cons

similar to all retail jobs the pay and hours could be better.

Advice to Management

Find ways to retain top talent.

9. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility for a full time college student. I didn't receive benefits because I working less than 25 hrs. Pay was good.

Cons

As a part-time employee, expect to work nights, weekends and to be on-call to fill in for employees either sick or on vacation.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about work expectations, salary increases, benefits available and training. Managers need to initiate an employee orientation on day 1, not 3 weeks after the fact.

10. "customer service"

Former Employee - Cashier in Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Manchester, CT

Pros

It was fun and knowledgeable

Cons

Worked hard selling but no bonuses or commussion

Showing 21 of 14,753 reviews