Best Buy Reviews in Houma, LA | Glassdoor

Houma, LA

2.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work Life balance can use some work" (in 491 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 560 reviews)

1. "Home Theater Department - Sales Associate/Supervisor"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Supervisor in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Supervisor in Houma, LA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training classes, fun environment to work in, became very knowledgeable in a short period of time and learned a lot about technology.

Cons

I feel like its not the company that ever has anything wrong, it's the managers an how some other females were jealous of the roles I achieved in the store. Great company to work for but upper management can be mean to one who is great at what they do.

Advice to Management

Always appreciate your employees that are working for you. If ever there is an upper position open in the store, move someone up in the store who already has experience whether then hiring someone new with no experience.

2. "Experience"

Former Employee - Home Theater Specialist in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - Home Theater Specialist in Houma, LA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Energetic environment, with a flexible schedule. There was an opportunity for personal growth and knowledge of a dedicated sales staff and team atmosphere.

Cons

Although there was an opportunity for personal growth, there was not an opportunity for growth in the company or a growth in my pay.

Advice to Management

It is important for you to be critical of each other. If a manager isn't pulling his or her weight then he or she should be replaced.

3. "none"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Houma, LA

Pros

Great pay and benefits. excellent discount

Cons

as a manager, the level of expectations are very high.

Advice to Management

ensure district manager are held to a higher standard

4. "Best Buy is an all right place to work"

Former Employee - SWAT Specialist in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - SWAT Specialist in Houma, LA

Pros

Great people, fun place to work, provides experience for future jobs and careers. The employee discount is a plus too. I had a great experience with Best Buy. They gave me great training and advancement opportunities. The hours(for my position - SWAT Spec.) were decent and steady. You really feel like a big family when you work for Best Buy. Each department is kind of like a nuclear family, and the store is the extended family. Working at Best Buy was never boring. Doing crazy and funny stuff in the warehouse were the specialities of the inventory department(not a bad thing though-we actually got a lot of work done).

Cons

Management seemed like a clique during the duration of my employment. I have heard though that there have been some changes in management since I have left. There should be a maturity test that is taken before you can be hired by Best Buy, but unfortunately, there isn't. Countless aggravating immature high school kids were and are employed by the Best Buy I worked at. It's hard to concentrate on your own job when you hear obnoxious flirting and gossip going on. There is also a little bit of dishonesty involved in the sales strategies of Best Buy. They drill all kinds of information in sales specialists heads, like the idea that customers NEED to buy the accessories with the biggest profit. Making as much money as possible is the goal of Best Buy. That's not so bad, except they push all kinds of propaganda onto their employees.

Advice to Management

Focus more on managing and less on stupid stuff. And give inventory more recognition.

Showing 4 of 17,474 reviews