Best Buy Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Updated April 10, 2017

Houston, TX Area

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Employee Discount / Accommodations (in 1569 reviews)

• You learn a lot about interacting with others (in 181 reviews)

Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 424 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 474 reviews)

1. "Change of Management Hurt Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Humble, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good employee discount. Usually flexible schedule.

Cons

Management really dictates how good or bad your experience will be

2. "Assistant Store manager-Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

great environment and loved working with employees and customers

Cons

upper leadership shows favoritism and doesn't follow through with development and trainings.

Advice to Management

be consistent and manage with out emotions and prejudice

3. "Great benefits, but..."

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Spring, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and working with technology.

Cons

Many company policies make the job harder than it needs to be, poor company direction, poor treatment via management, extremely difficult to promote more than a few steps.

Advice to Management

Remember that the people under you are actual people rather than hours that you need to cut in order to engorge your own bonuses.

4. "Good for students but difficult to move up"

Former Employee - Multi-Channel Sales Associate in Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Multi-Channel Sales Associate in Cypress, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's easy to change departments if you don't like the one you're in. Good job for students

Cons

Your pay will more or less stay the same unless you are promoted to leadership or GS

Advice to Management

Management please make yourself more available when your employees need your help.

5. "Great Benefits and Culture Turned Sour at the hands of Corporate."

Former Employee - Mobile Wireless Sales Consultant in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Mobile Wireless Sales Consultant in Pasadena, TX

Pros

Discounts and Exclusive Benefits with Companies inside. Your World of Product Knowledge and SOP expanded for other Retail Opportunities

Cons

No Real Reward or Recognition for effort put in (of course every store is different, which may I add is also a problem, i.e. Commission and other incentives if you are part time), Flawed Bonus System that only really benefits the higher ups (Full-Time & Above), I had noticed during the last 6 - 8 months of my employment that my hours fluctuated in a way where i really never reaped the benefits that would have served me. Management Team gets Dumped on Corporate a lot, which in turn leaves the daily drivers on the floor to have that dished to them. And lastly, at least at my store, the hiring process is exclusively padded. There is a 3 interview process that prospect employees go through in order to to be considered for the position... that happens in waves... where anyone who is already in good with someone that has any say will already have the advantage over you as someone looking. TL;DR Hiring happens on their schedule so you have a small window, if you happen to get in that window and you have to compete for a position with someone who has previously worked there, good friends with someone on the team, or transferring from another store, You have no chance at that position.

Advice to Management

I have met really good people in management and I have seen things crumble and sour of the decisions made by others who were misguided by their emotions or otherwise because of things coming from the top or out side of work, but what I can for sure say with absolute confidence is that to improve your teams, meet numbers, and goals, those in leadership positions must be accountable for what they do and most importantly WORK WITH THEIR TEAM AS A TEAM PLAYER! Everyone is accountable when a store is falling behind, not just those on the ground level. If management is to be successful, management's skills have to match if not exceed your your team under you and you gotta be there working with them getting that NPS, GSP, and Big Ticket Sales. Especially if you want to identify problems on the ground level. Discipline breeds failure if you aren't willing to be in the others shoes to understand their shortcomings.

6. "Ok place to work"

Current Employee - Magnolia Home Theater Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Magnolia Home Theater Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

Good sales people, being able to sell product that interest you, great discounts and employee accommodations.

Cons

Manager efficiency will determine how hard it will be to enjoy your job. ways of selling guide is very contradicting and not as certain it plays to be. Customer recommendation worksheet is very useless but is put on a must do with every customers list. needing to be checked in on your numbers when it doesn't effect your pockets at all.

Advice to Management

Make it easier

7. "Professional and Self Motivated Customer Service Represenative"

Former Employee - Loss Prevention/Customer Service Representative in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention/Customer Service Representative in Katy, TX

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers and staff are great. Amazing to see some of the same customers came into the store everyday. I was told they enjoyed the smiling faces and conversations.

Cons

The customers are totally right 100% police. Realistically that isn't always the case.

Advice to Management

Managers get to know your employees.

8. "Best Buy"

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) in Houston, TX

Pros

Get to see the latest gadgets for TVs, phones, computers, etc. Good employee discount and stock purchase options.

Cons

Numbers driven with not much care of the customers or employees. Constant restructuring with employees being given new roles with more responsibilities and no added compensation.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more if you are really wanting to change the culture and make each store perform better.

9. "Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

You were only assigned to either the register to check out customers, or to take returns.

Cons

No friendly environment. Very strict rules.

"not enough pay"

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Atascocita, TX
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Atascocita, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

most coworkers are ok, the gm is great, flexible hours

Cons

pay, don't want to offer full-time, favoritism,

Advice to Management

Get rid of tony. He has no idea what he is doing. He is by far the most incompetent and unprofessional person i've ever worked with. He picks on certain employees who he knows won't report him because they need their job. He's a liar and like to discuss employees person business with other employees. He's the sole reason multiple other people have found work including me. I couldn't stomach to work with with no morals or compassion for their employees.

Showing 30 of 14,113 reviews