Best Buy Reviews in Indianapolis, IN | Glassdoor

Indianapolis, IN

3.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance but its retail (in 458 reviews)

• Post holidays not many hours available for non-full time employees (in 526 reviews)

1. "Best laying and best job I've ever had."

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely amazing atmosphere to work in. Every co worker has an awesome attitude and make work easier.

Cons

The only real complaint is the only real advances are through the sales floor.

Advice to Management

Just wish there were some more other way for employees not in sales floor to easily move up. Everything else is spot on and perfect. Don't change a thing.

"Great first exposure to a professional environment."

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty laid back work environment. The accommodations are nice at times but you definitely don't het a discount on everything.

Cons

Pay does not increase that much and there are only a limited number of full time positions. Hours can be hectic at times.

3. "Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are great training tools always available to you in the form of e-learnings online, as well as a sales training induction course that really teaches you the art of selling complete solutions. I gained a lot of people skills and dealing with confrontation skills that I will never forget after 7 years of employment. Always being up to date on the new technologies coming out was one of my favorite parts. The employee discount is very decent, especially on accessories.

Cons

Pay is definitely a downside. Very low when you realize how much you must learn and the performance goals you must reach. After 7 years there I was making not even a dollar more than the new hires walking in the door. I was in a "not so great" location and pay does vary by area apparently. They do treat you as if you work on commission even though you don't. Your appraisals are based on the store performance as a whole rather than your individual performance, which can be very discouraging when your personal goals are met or exceeded. Favoritism from management was also a big issue in my store and began to affect everyone's performance.

Advice to Management

Push harder for your star employees who deserve to be fairly compensated for their dedication, especially your senior staff who have given you years of their life and hold everything together. Properly discipline all associates when they break the rules, not just your "least favorites." If an associate must pick up duties from a position higher than their current role, for a long period of time, pay them appropriately for the duties done. Bring back the 'Have Fun While Being the Best" motto I grew to love when I first started.

4. "I like the people that I work with, management is terrible."

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that I work with are pretty cool. We have fun with each other while working. The best thing is the discount.

Cons

Management pressuring you. Not value as a employee, and ignore your needs. A lot of favoritism to certain employees. Don't respect your availability at all.

Advice to Management

Get better management. Current management are terrible

5. "Best Buy Review"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee discounts are truly unbeatable. Work environment is very team friendly, and the store GMs are usually very approachable. Part time employees still receive a pay bonus after each month the store hits budget.

Cons

I am part-time, so I do not receive any employee benefits which makes sense. No paid time off, no 401K, etc.
    What truly does not make sense is that management sets hourly sales goals and track whether you reach those hourly, daily and monthly sales goals. If you don't meet your goals, they send you to a training class or fire you. But if you meet your goals, all you get is a high-five and thumbs-up. Absolutely no incentive to reach your goals since there is no commission

Advice to Management

Give Best Buy sales consultants some commission, so that we have incentives to do good. Just 1% would at least give some individuals a reason to "sell more and sell better."

6. "As Always, Your Experience Will Depend Management"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Excellent Discounts
    -Decent Benefits
    -Not Commission Based (May be a con for some)

Cons

-Starting pay needs to be higher

Advice to Management

Do everything you can to foster a team oriented environment

7. "Operations Manger"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent and the discount was great.

Cons

Work work work and more work. But that have now reduced to even less staff.

Advice to Management

No advice for the management here at bby.

8. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok money for the work, I'm told there is a good discount

Cons

Mismanaged department, no direction in training. There is no expectations for associates in this area. You could just stand behind the counter and play with your phone all day. Very few customers at times.....lack of expectations cause lack of motivation. No one cares

Advice to Management

Provide a direct training pathway. Be sure that new employees know basics (store layout, day of party, how to get direct deposit, etc) I was given none of this information.

9. "Pretty enjoyable"

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good part time schedule for school
    Nice managers
    Employee discount
    Pay is decent
    Rude customers don't happen often
    Excellent tools to find info

Cons

No real cons. As long as you work hard and are a people person, fellow employees and management will like you

Advice to Management

Most of my management that I interact with are really good at their jobs. Just keep that up, listen to your employees and be realistic about things

10. "Limited Salary but room for growth and Promotion"

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

Hands on time with new technology, friendly and supportive work environment, potential for promotion.

Cons

Low wage cap, monthly sales bonuses are laughably low. You can earn more in one week at Starbucks with tips than you can in a month at Best Buy and that is very frustrating when you see how much product you sold that month. When you sell over 100,000 dollars worth of products and services, the 1/100th of a percent is hardly a motivating factor.

Advice to Management

Work with every employee to grow, and avoid special treatment.

Showing 41 of 15,840 reviews