Best Buy Reviews in Indianapolis, IN | Glassdoor

Indianapolis, IN Area

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance but its retail (in 458 reviews)

• Post holidays not many hours available for non-full time employees (in 526 reviews)

"Computer Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Computing Sales Consultant in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Computing Sales Consultant in Columbus, IN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, friendly environment with lots of opportunities to make an enjoyable career out of electronics retail. Having fun and enjoying your job while being the best.

Cons

Management in stores is inconsistent. Some supervisory staff performed extremely well and cared for their employees while others took the title but did not do the job. Some management do not have respect or loyalty for their loyal associates.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for diligence and hard work provided for the company given by associates.

2. "Seasonal Employee"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwood, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwood, IN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was able to get amazing employee discounts. Great customer base and very clean stores that are efficient.

Cons

One bad egg would ruin a whole bunch in managements eyes

Advice to Management

Keep it up and remember we are only human.

3. "Best Buy"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Noblesville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Noblesville, IN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, fun staff, great at working with you when things come up during a shift

Cons

Not everyone is held equally accountable

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is being held accountable

4. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avon, IN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hours vary and work around your schedule

Cons

Early hour meetings during the year

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Great first exposure to a professional environment."

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty laid back work environment. The accommodations are nice at times but you definitely don't het a discount on everything.

Cons

Pay does not increase that much and there are only a limited number of full time positions. Hours can be hectic at times.

6. "Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are great training tools always available to you in the form of e-learnings online, as well as a sales training induction course that really teaches you the art of selling complete solutions. I gained a lot of people skills and dealing with confrontation skills that I will never forget after 7 years of employment. Always being up to date on the new technologies coming out was one of my favorite parts. The employee discount is very decent, especially on accessories.

Cons

Pay is definitely a downside. Very low when you realize how much you must learn and the performance goals you must reach. After 7 years there I was making not even a dollar more than the new hires walking in the door. I was in a "not so great" location and pay does vary by area apparently. They do treat you as if you work on commission even though you don't. Your appraisals are based on the store performance as a whole rather than your individual performance, which can be very discouraging when your personal goals are met or exceeded. Favoritism from management was also a big issue in my store and began to affect everyone's performance.

Advice to Management

Push harder for your star employees who deserve to be fairly compensated for their dedication, especially your senior staff who have given you years of their life and hold everything together. Properly discipline all associates when they break the rules, not just your "least favorites." If an associate must pick up duties from a position higher than their current role, for a long period of time, pay them appropriately for the duties done. Bring back the 'Have Fun While Being the Best" motto I grew to love when I first started.

7. "Home Theater Specialist"

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Greenwood, IN
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Greenwood, IN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount was absolutely great

Cons

There was no incentives. Your sales numbers seemed to be fairly random; Someone would buy 5,000$ and meet your quota for a whole week. A LOT of pressure to sign people up for the Best Buy credit card

Advice to Management

Building relationships with customers is better than juicing them for an extra few dollars today

8. "I like the people that I work with, management is terrible."

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that I work with are pretty cool. We have fun with each other while working. The best thing is the discount.

Cons

Management pressuring you. Not value as a employee, and ignore your needs. A lot of favoritism to certain employees. Don't respect your availability at all.

Advice to Management

Get better management. Current management are terrible

9. "The experience has been positive."

Current Employee - Connected Device Associate in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Connected Device Associate in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management at this store is fantastic, you need to be honest with them and they will work with you, within reason.

Cons

A small group of employees have a negative outlook that can be a downer. No issues beyond that. This is a great store.

10. "Best Buy Review"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee discounts are truly unbeatable. Work environment is very team friendly, and the store GMs are usually very approachable. Part time employees still receive a pay bonus after each month the store hits budget.

Cons

I am part-time, so I do not receive any employee benefits which makes sense. No paid time off, no 401K, etc.
    What truly does not make sense is that management sets hourly sales goals and track whether you reach those hourly, daily and monthly sales goals. If you don't meet your goals, they send you to a training class or fire you. But if you meet your goals, all you get is a high-five and thumbs-up. Absolutely no incentive to reach your goals since there is no commission

Advice to Management

Give Best Buy sales consultants some commission, so that we have incentives to do good. Just 1% would at least give some individuals a reason to "sell more and sell better."

Showing 74 of 15,814 reviews