Best Buy Installer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 7, 2019

Installer

1.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The employee discount is great and I love the accommodations" (in 1974 reviews)

• "Fun to work for and all around enjoyable" (in 331 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a bit hectic particularly during holiday season" (in 522 reviews)

• "Not Commission based, not for full time if your not in leadership team" (in 579 reviews)

1. "Appliance installer"

Current Employee - Installer in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Installer in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay very in touch with drivers.

Cons

Not enough overtime when it is slow

2. "There's a reason why Best Buy has such a high turnover"

Former Employee - MECP Autotech Installer in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - MECP Autotech Installer in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Best Buy part-time

Pros

I think the only pros I can talk about in my 15 years of employment with this company is the employee discounts, and maybe a couple of the friends that I have met over the years. Other than that, that's it.

Cons

Where can I begin? After working with Best Buy since November 23rd of 2003 up until last year, I finally quit after only making 18/hr. The pay is horrible, there is extreme favoritism, it's impossible to get a weekend off, the company forces their employees to now work on Thanksgiving but the CEO and everybody else of course take off... You get wrongfully accused of things that you didn't do, oh the list goes on... It's retail. Sometimes things are good and sometimes things are bad, but when they are bad it's horrible.

Advice to Management

I (have) for the record worked with several people who are/were in management and there was some pretty good managers... but not all of them were good. My advice to management, treat your employees fair and don't play favoritism. It's not fair when you have been passed over and over for a crappy yearly review and told how much stuff your doing wrong... then you transfer and go to another store and you all the sudden get told how good of an employee you are and getting 4-5 star reviews... Crap.

3. "Popularity game"

Former Employee - Geek Squad Install in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Install in Plano, TX

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. Lots of stores to choose from. Advancement opportunities. Clear management structure. You know what is expected of you at work.

Cons

Popularity game, both in the store and at the district level. If you have a high work ethic, you'll go nowhere. Employees do unethical things all the time to just get their "numbers". I refused to play along.

4. "Stability and frustration"

Current Employee - Geek Squad Double Agent Home Theater Install in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Double Agent Home Theater Install in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Set work schedule, regular hours, occasional overtime. Field agents left to self manage for the most part. High value on client interaction skills and creating a comfortable experience for clients to understand their newly purchased products.

Cons

Highly dependent on the quality of work of store level employees. Number based performance metrics are becoming commonplace as measurable metrics for promotion and performance reviews. Demand for hours during the holidays places stress of employees when trying to balance home and work life.

Advice to Management

Develop more support of the decisions made by the field employees and work to correct issues In the store environment as it relates to the selling of installation services.

5. "Good, not great."

Former Employee - Mecp Basic Auto Installer
    Former Employee - Mecp Basic Auto Installer

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement, ,solid benefits and perks, decent pay, company paid for all certification tests and preperation materials.

Cons

Company was always changing direction and business plans without giving previous plans time to be properly implemented, weak managers were carried by better management staff.

6. "Pretty good place to work for college student"

Former Employee - Car Audio Installer/Sales Associate in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Car Audio Installer/Sales Associate in Pasadena, TX

Pros

Works with schedule, easy to make friends, and fairly easy to move to a different department if you want to learn. Not all managers and supervisors are jerks, actually some will go out and have a beer with you. I don't know about all stores but mine threw about 3 employee parties at the store every year.

Cons

Majority of management forgot hardship of selling in retail and really only think about numbers so they can get their bonuses. They'll gripe and complain at their supervisors about not reaching budget goals even if the country is in recession. Then the anger and passive yelling snowballs down to the salesperson for not doing their job of selling.

Advice to Management

I get it retail isn't a hard job but even the best sales associate can't sell to every customer. You should be more concerned about finding people that don't do their jobs and getting rid of them rather than watch numbers on a computer.

7. "Okay for a stepping stone"

Former Employee - Car Audio Installation Specialist
    Former Employee - Car Audio Installation Specialist

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Calm relaxing work environment. Fun people to work with. They allow for you to move around to different departments if they have openings and if you want to move up you have to always be on your toes for new positions that open and know who to talk to.

Cons

If you want to move up it isn't the easiest of things. You have to fight for your pay increases and know how their system works. Management only looks out for themselves.

8. "Non CDL Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Customer & Installation Specialist in Wilkes Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Customer & Installation Specialist in Wilkes Barre, PA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee discount, fun environment to work in, excellent co workers to interact with.

Cons

management always seemed lost and never stood behind their associates decisions, big box stores are a dying industry, and growth potential was limited.

9. "mecp advanced installer"

Former Employee - MECP Certified Electronics Installation Technician in Orlando, FL

I worked at Best Buy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the place. Ac in the bay. Great and fun place to work as an installer.

Cons

bla bla bla bla bla bla oh and the Managment are a bunch of chicken with their heads cut off.

Advice to Management

as can be seen above. Good people just disorganized.

10. "good place to start"

Former Employee - Mobile Installer in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Mobile Installer in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits and discounts. it's a good place to get started at, but not really a lifelong career

Cons

communication can be an issue. and the open door policy doesn't always work