Best Buy Reviews in Jacksonville, FL | Glassdoor

Jacksonville, FL

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 431 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 501 reviews)

1. ""Proper MONEY MANAGEMENT""

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I gave Best Buy the very best 3 1/2 years of my life and I'm not no "spring chicken"! It's a great place to work, some awesome people, lots of room for raises and promotions and recognition...

Cons

I 100% disagree with getting terminated and not being able to collect unemployment while seeking new employment...I was ready to call my attorney.

Advice to Management

In a grocery store and several other retail stores a Cashier gets a cash till - THAT drawer is THAT Cashier's until the end of their shift...NO ONE else should EVER be in that money; when Cashier goes on Break - put till in safe, when Cashier goes to Lunch - put till in safe...if ANOTHER cashier uses THAT register while CASHIER 1 is on break or lunch GIVE CASHIER 2 THEIR OWN CASH TILL - And EACH cashier should get to COUNT their own till to DOUBLE CHECK Back Office Lead....AND STOP MOVING MONEY FROM ONE REGISTER TO ANOTHER!....THEN nobody would ever be SHORT or OVER!

2. "Not a bad gig."

Former Employee - Home Theater Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Home Theater Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some products had decent discounts. First hand experience working with and selling new consumer technology.

Cons

Not sure if it was a nationwide thing but they raised the minimum pay for their Sales positions by almost $2.50/hr after I quit because their retention rate was so bad.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, especially with sales. You literally tell employees you don't work based off commission but you sure as hell treat them like it.

3. "You're joking right"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great CO-Workers, pretty decent benefits for someone who makes little to no money working there.

Cons

The pay sucks even though you but your butt. You get treated like crap by customers and your manager never backs you up. I literally had stuff thrown at me and nothing ever happened. Management never notices your hard work, so you never move up. EMPTY PROMISES made.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to the people that actually do their job and ensure things run smoothly. make sure you promote people who are actually deserving. Being there the longest does not make you qualified, proving over and over quality work does..

4. "Geek Squad Consultation Agent"

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Consultation Agent in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, customers, and work.

Cons

Working up to full-time means you are part-time for awhile.

5. "I like it"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for retail. The store I work in is organized and I love the people I work with. Everyone helps one another

Cons

The shifts are kind of crappy like 11-8 and the shifts are long and with out breaks a lot of times

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and thank them when you see them doing a good job. Show appreciation and smile more instead of looking so serious

6. "It has its days. It's a really good job for a college kid"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Accomodations. Some managers are laid back and really cool, my GM has to be the best GM ever. Cool people.

TUITION REIMBURSEMENT!! love that but only if you are full time

Cons

Some managers are overly pushy. If the store is dead slow, with literally more associates than customers, stop walking around the entire store hounding everyone to sell...sell what? to who????????????

Annoying unrealistic customers.

Poor training.

Advice to Management

Focus more on actually training your employees instead of placing them in front of a computer and have them watch 50 videos and read 50 articles and call that training? Who is going to retain all that information and be expected to meet goals at the same time?

This isn't a commission based job, stop treating it like that! You expect us to tell customers we don't work on commission so they feel comfortable but yet we are still under pressure to sell them a hundred dollar hdmi cable. It's counterintuitive.

7. "Half and half"

Current Employee - FL Florida in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - FL Florida in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Lively environment.
    401K for part-time
    Lots of free food during holidays and events

Cons

Hours: hours are performance based.
    Noncommision based: no tips, etc..

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Good work, good potential, put in what you get out. Competitive pay compared to similar retailers.

Cons

Retail can be tough hours. Holidays and weekends required but anyone who works retail know this and expect that.

9. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, skills learned to better prepare me for other jobs, decent benefits, good discount

Cons

Unfriendly hours, inconsistent accountability and recognition, poor review process, decreasing headcount of employees and leadership in store, would launch directives and programs without proper infrastructure to support them.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees and leadership. Don't cut labor and ask for increased sales and productivity while continuing to not reward team members.

10. "Best Buy Mobile Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent when you've been there for awhile. Bonus is great if your store performs at a premium level. 15-30% bonus based on where store finishes monthly.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are rare and are almost never chosen by merit. If you perform at a high level of sales they like to keep you in that role.

Advice to Management

Seek out your top performers and promote them instead of recycling poor performing supervisors into other roles.

Showing 37 of 14,779 reviews