Best Buy Reviews in Lakeland, FL | Glassdoor

Lakeland, FL Area

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance but its retail" (in 478 reviews)

• "Is hard to get hired on full time" (in 547 reviews)

1. "Amazing first job"

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Davenport, FL
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Davenport, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great potential to grow.
    Company really cares about their employees.

Cons

Sometimes feels as if you should making more for the job that you do every day.

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can be a fun place to work, discount on accessories is 5% plus cost value. My personal experience was lucky, and I believed that despite flaws and a need to often read between the lines, my supervisors and managers were good people, and fair as well. This is not always the case, and I've seen or heard it from employees in other stores.

Cons

Company used to be a lot more employee focused, but with the retail industry as a whole forcing employees to be responsible for more without the extra pay, it has become a stressful and unrewarding place to work, regardless of effort.
     Unless you make it to sales manager (where you'll regularly work 50 hours a week, more in the holidays and have no family time) even the full time positions do not pay enough.

Advice to Management

Make incentives, or just simply create opportunities for employees to bond outside of work. Jim, a a Sales Manager who was at Lakeland and the last time I checked is at the South Tampa store on Dale Mabry is an awesome manager and used to organize opportunities to hangout after work at the store or go to the trampoline venue in the bay area. He knew that employees that were more content outside of work would be more content at work. Retail across the board is doing away with positions and asking more of employees for the same amount of money. Material incentives will not appease me as an employee if i'm burned out, if you were going to be a part of this trend, you must accommodate employees elsewhere.

"Family Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want a place that allows you to have fun while working hard, this is the place. My 2 years here were filled with growth, hardship, fun, commitment and family.

Cons

It is a bit hard to move up, definitely a "who you know" company.

Advice to Management

Take your qualified employees and train them for when leadership spots open up. Don't give them to those you like, give it to those who deserve it.

4. "Gww"

Current Employee - GWW in Davenport, FL
    Current Employee - GWW in Davenport, FL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, the people are extremely nice and the benefits for being an employee are second to none

Cons

Scheduling, peaks and valleys in work schedule

Advice to Management

Make sure that your core people are happy

5. "This went from a great company to work for to a black hole."

Current Employee - Connected Home Consultant in Davenport, FL
    Current Employee - Connected Home Consultant in Davenport, FL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I started in my Best Buy Mobile stand alone store they sent me to training for a week and put me up in a hotel, paid me, reimbursed my food, all before I even started making them any money.
    Money isn't horrible, discount is pretty good on some stuff, benefits aren't too bad.

Cons

I've been through 3 gm's, 4 mobile managers, 3 geek squad managers, 2 assistant managers and a bunch of supervisors and other lead roles. A lot right? especially considering that was only over a year and a half time frame.
    Every time I attempted a new position I would have to try to convince some new manager I just met a few weeks ago that they should hire me on without knowing what I was capable of so they would simply hire from old stores.
    and even though I've worked with Best Buy over two years now, my raise consisted of a bump to equal what they started hiring O/S at months ago. Which yes is more money but at the same time why can't I keep my other raises over top of that? I earned them? That and the fact that my annual review was forgotten about for 4 months even though I reminded my managers every week that I wanted my review and when I got it they couldn't give me a raise because the store didn't do good in general even though my numbers we're where they needed to be.

I haven't left because the pay could be worse and the discount and benefits are alright.

Advice to Management

Employees need incentive!!! Either start implementing some kind of reward program because none of the ones you have are even used by any management in my store. p2e would be great if managers ever gave out points. i went from earning 3200 points in 6 months to earning now 1600 in the past year and a half.

6. "Best Buy is a typical corporation, disconnected from the communities it serves."

Former Employee - Media Specialist in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Media Specialist in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers are normally awesome, and 60-70% of them are regulars. It is always fun and challenging helping customers that come in with IT problems. It is very rewarding being able to help people, and building relationships with people in the community.

Cons

The biggest con is that half of the "managers" spend all of their time walking around on their cellphones. Their work gets put off on on various other employees. The managers do not care about the employees or the customers. The corporate policies that Best Buy tries to shove off on it's employees cause more aggravation to customers than provide a pleasant service.

Advice to Management

If Best Buy spent more time worrying about what it's managers were up to, instead of micro-managing the people on the floor, they would be much more successful. The spend all of their time trying to sell than developing relationships with customers. Like I said 60-70% of the customers I helped where regulars. Then came back because they knew me, and knew that I would give them honest sound advice. I didn't sell them the whole store the first time they came in, but they came back time and time again because I respected them. Best Buy will end up sharing the same fate as Circuit City.

7. "Micromanagement! Overload! Discounts!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Davenport, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Davenport, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

DISCOUNTS! Discounts are phenomenal with only 5% above cost, it can't get better than that! The company has great values but not many really adhere them. Vendors are awesome too!

Cons

Compensation is not great at all! For the work we have to put in, it is incredibly low! It is not competitive at ALL! Micromanagement to the extreme! Pressure to hit numbers make it very stressful. They don't care too much for the employee at times. Whether you're sick or truly have an issue it "will count against you"

Advice to Management

Dear management, we know how to do our jobs, please allow us to perform the way we were trained!

8. "Started out great, but ended up driving me away."

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good management overall
    monthly and quarterly bonuses based on department and store performance
    hard to get fired in most stores
    geek squad is the only animal of its kind

Cons

unfair pay in some positions
    company WANTS to care about employees but can no longer afford to
    policies change about every month if not more frequently
    job duties are restricted to your position REGARDLESS OF YOUR SKILL IN ANY OTHER AREA 9 times out of 10

Advice to Management

Ask employees and customers about new policies before rolling them out to avoid making as many mistakes and having to go behind and fix them therefore changing everything all over again... again.

"If your OK with 90's wages, then Best Buy may be for you"

Former Employee - Computer Sales in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Computer Sales in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees, flexible schedule, location

Cons

Bad pay, unreachable bonuses, corporate stupidity, favoritism for promotions

Advice to Management

You want professional sales people then pay professional wages! You want employees to actually care about shrink and numbers then pay them enough to actually live on!

10. "?????"

Current Employee - Home Theater Repair Tech in Davenport, FL
    Current Employee - Home Theater Repair Tech in Davenport, FL

Pros

fair compensation , good benefits, except no benefit for bestuy.com

Cons

too many forms to fill out and too much paper work, no benefit for bestuy.com
    purchases.

Advice to Management

keep op the fair work

Showing 10 of 16,707 reviews