Best Buy Reviews in Las Vegas, NV | Glassdoor

Las Vegas, NV

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 431 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 500 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of benefits for employees and opportunities if given the right choice

Cons

Lots of favoritism within the management team. Females move up faster

Advice to Management

Don't let favorites guide your stores

2. "Computers Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Computers Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Computers Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of benefits and opportunity to grow within the company.

Cons

You are micromanaged almost 24/7.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, bestbuy grows more and more as a company

3. "A decent place to work part time for the discount"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing discount on most products, fairly laid back and fun working atmosphere, and the company as a whole has great values and benefits for employees

Cons

Vegas market shows a lot of favoritism so if you want to move up, you better know somebody. I was with the company for 10+ years and never did I have a problem moving up or feeling like I mattered as an employee or person until I worked in the Las Vegas market. The pay was fair but performance reviews and raises were like pulling teeth.

4. "Fun and Great if you have the right manager."

Former Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is there, benefits are alright and the discounts are what really help staying here. Some of the managers are open to associates moving around to different areas such as an employee going from computers to mobile.

From time to time they even give out movies tickets, event tickets and raffle away some nice things to employees.

Cons

Depending on who you get as a manager, work hours kind of suck. Managers seem to give employees more hours depending on who they like more, rather than who sells better and or has a better customer relationship. I remember being top 3 in sales and having people return just to see me, yet I was getting less hours than most full time employees in the store and my area.

Advice to Management

Management should really look more closely at who they bring in as leaders. Most were great but I personally had a very bad one. He was one of the main reasons I quit and moved on despite compliments and praise.

Another thing would be to stop making associates follow a script. Nobody likes being talked to like a robot. I would go off script and talk to customers as people and friends. Much more effective than the checklist thing they have in place.

5. "Appliance Supervisor"

Former Employee - Store Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, employees/coworkers, training programs, bonus structure (heard it was veing revised though).

Cons

Regular restructures makes it difficult for advancement/job security.

6. "Great Employees but Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Best Buy part-time

Pros

The employees are so welcoming, and you really feel as though you're part of a family. As a part-timer, if you ask for more hours they'll give you more hours. Great employee discounts.

Cons

Hours: If you're hired as a part-timer and you ask for more hours, they'll work you full-time hours but will make you keep part-time benefits... unless a full-time spot opens... and you apply for it... and you interview for it... and you get it. And they'll schedule you as they please. For example, they put me down for 8 days straight by scheduling me the last four days of the last week of a pay period, and the first four days of the first week of the next pay period.

Sales: Managers constantly bombard you with how you need to make sales or convince customers to purchase a protection plan. And instead of getting commission as an incentive, they base your hours off of these sales.

Cashiers: At my location, with four registers up front, they only ever scheduled ONE cashier who constantly had to call for help. And instead of jumping on a register to help out, managers will just go on the radio and ask the sales floor team to leave their departments to help ring out customers.

Customer Service/Online Pick-Up: I worked as a Customer Service Specialist. At my location, with the opening of a new Call Center, the Online Pick-Up associates became Call Center associates and were moved to the new addition. So along with returns, exchanges, and protection plan fulfillment, I had to constantly run over to the Online Pick-Up counter to perform store pick-ups as well. If I had long lines the only other person trained for my departments was the one cashier who's stuck at the front registers.

Breaks: I was usually scheduled around seven hours a night which meant -- by Nevada State law -- I needed two rest breaks. I was only ever able to take one, and that was if I squeezed it in my first two hours of my shift before the previous shift left, or during the last hour of my shift after I'd been calling over the radio for three to four hours for someone to cover my departments. On days where I worked 8 hours and was scheduled a lunch, I usually didn't get any rest breaks.

Fired for Quitting: After working an 8 hour shift, the manager not allowing me to take any rest breaks because of lack of coverage, and finally being sent to my lunch during the last hour of my shift, I spoke to the store manager to resign. I was told that I wouldn't be leaving on good terms with the company without a two weeks notice. And because I didn't have anything in writing proving that I was resigning from my position, the store manager terminated my employment. I was fired for trying to quit.

Advice to Management

Stick to a single policy. Some managers will allow customers to get away with returns/exchanges out of policy while others are strict about it. If an employee firmly tells a customer they can not return something and the customer asks to speak to a manager who lets them do it, you make your employees look like the bad guys for saying no while the managers look like the heroes.

Follow the law. If the law states that your employees need rest breaks when working a certain number of consecutive hours, give them their rest breaks; it's the law. Lack of coverage is not an excuse to break the law. A manager can take 15 minutes out of their day to cover a department. Do not make your employees suffer because of your lack of management.

7. "Sales Associate, Part Time"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work, liked most of my coworkers

Cons

Low-pay, Holidays were a hassle. No advancement

8. "Computer Consultant"

Current Employee - Computer Sales Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good, Monthly bonus and quarterly bonuses are a BONUS :)

Cons

Management has their own groups within the employees, meaning that new employees often are shunned due to being outsiders

Advice to Management

Better attention to scheduling conflicts, less clique-based environment

9. "Best Buy"

Current Employee - Magnolia Home Theater Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Magnolia Home Theater Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on department, working with product is exciting. The pay is very competitive, and the employee discount is great. The company invests in their employees with monthly trainings and a two week course to teach selling skills.

Cons

Holidays can be hectic and depending on location, the store may be understaffed

Advice to Management

Continue to train employees and keep doing what you are doing. Try to prevent favoritism and Crack down on idle chatting employees.

10. "Great benefits, little growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Benefits are awesome, coworkers are friendly and so is manager.

Cons

Very little hours for part timers.
    Leads and managers pick favorites a lot.

Advice to Management

Notice everyone.

Showing 39 of 14,747 reviews