Best Buy Reviews in Marlborough, MA | Glassdoor

Marlborough, MA

3.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to perfect (in 474 reviews)

• hours were not always the best considering im a full time student (in 544 reviews)

1. "Stressful Fun"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

Great bonuses, and understanding management. Get to sell computers/other and truthly help people with problems since it its not a commission bases

Cons

Sometimes goals are unrealistic, having to hit certain revenue per hour when it is dead and no one is in the store is stressful.

Advice to Management

Other departments should not be coming into departments that are not theirs to make revenue. That is sniping sales and is unfair: stay in your lane.

2. "Not the city."

Current Employee - Asset Protection Associate in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Associate in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looking for a job, got interviewed quickly. Received a conditional offer with background check. It came back within a week.

Cons

Too many young people. Need to change the AP Specialist to door greeter. Not all stores apprehend shoplifter's. Or least give a trespass notice.

Advice to Management

You all need to be on the same page with communication with you employees.

3. "A decent retail job, but you're not expected to sell what you'd think is expected."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, fast-paced, and fun work environment as long as you have the right team. I haven't worked here in over 2 years and I still hang out with some of my coworkers. You get to meet a lot of people and talk about technology for most of the day. As long as you're into that sort of thing, you'll have AT LEAST a decent time.

Cons

The company was constantly in a state of flux and changed a lot of policies all the time. Systems that worked would be changed and/or renamed for almost no reason and departments would sometimes be reorganized, separated, or combined and it can force people who work in the gaming section to also see over home appliances. What if they don't know anything about fridges or dish washers? Which brings us into the next point: There isn't any real training for any of the departments. I didn't know anything about cameras when I first worked there. In order for me to learn about them, no one really held my hand or showed me much that was useful. You're expected to mess with the displays yourself and learn on your own. It's definitely possible, but this is a really hard way to learn technology.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, sales are not truly valued unless you set your customers up with protection plans and a credit card. I can't truly convey to you just how much pressure was put on pushing those services. A common interaction with a manager there could look something like this:
    Sales Associate: "Hey, I just had a $800 sale! Lots of accessories attached!"
    Manager: "That's great! Did you get a credit card sign-up?"
    Sales: "No, just the products."
    Manager: "Why no? What happened?"
    Hearing that over and over, every day, can really make you feel bad about doing an otherwise really great job.

Advice to Management

I understand you're a big retailer and the focus on trying to have the biggest bottom line as possible, but give it a rest on the quotas. It stresses employees out and makes them feel uneasy about their reputation and sometimes even their job security. There isn't much management can do on a store basis, but it would be really nice if the corporate management would stop trying to reinvent the wheel with all their arbitrary changes in systems and departments. Meaningful change is appreciated, but change for the sake of it is not.

4. "This was a good part time job for a student; it was relatively easy and the discounts were awesome."

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts
    Competitive wage
    Easy but not terribly boring
    Employees are generally young and interesting
    Large stores, so room to move up

Cons

Stressed out management
    Not very flexible
    Expected to work more than a student may like, 20+ hours
    Management belittles staff sometimes

5. "Unleash the power of your people?"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Marlborough, MA

Pros

You get to be close to the cutting edge of consumer technology

Cons

Senior management does not value its college educated employees in a way that would allow for them to grow within their system

Advice to Management

Create a program to keep your employees who are getting their degrees from leaving BB and going to work in other fields.

Showing 5 of 16,394 reviews