Best Buy Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN Area

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Somewhat of a hard work life balance (in 446 reviews)

• I wish I could have been a full time employee (in 509 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Magnolia Home Theater Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Magnolia Home Theater Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great development if you work with your leaders on it.

Inside and outside training available.

Really care about their employees.

Some of the best benefits in the industry from healthcare to financial advisors to family planning.

Corporate is very hands on in developing the company in a great way based on customer service.

Holiday pay is great.

Non commissioned in most sales positions but great bonuses if you hit goals.

Cons

Every store runs quite a bit differently, management per store really controls how the store feels and operates.

PTO when first becoming full time is unbearable low.

Advice to Management

Employees need a way to better understand how they are impacting he company and that what they are doing is actually helping the company progress. Employees seem to lose motivation due to not understanding the growth of the company.

2. "Employee disparities in the Sales Floor"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Eagan, MN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team-work based, a lot of great customer interactions, prepare you in an adequate manner though depends on the sales lead that does training on products, induction training really helps you for selling.

Cons

Feels like the managers/leads are too corporate focused and not as focused on their employees. As a worker from the Minnesota area, most managers focused on their job search for an HQ position while they could have been improving the store and the respective associates. Whenever they are on the sales floor, they were too focused on the bigger sales, credit cards, and did not focus on other employee nor customer need. Leads are also quick to blame anyone but them on employee performance.

Advice to Management

Work better on improving employee knowledge on products, training is everything to create a good emploee

3. "Competitive environment, but lots of brainwashing"

Former Employee - Computer Sales Consultant in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Consultant in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy, flexible schedules, hardworking management

Cons

Very political sometimes, room for a lot of rude miscommunication

Advice to Management

Branding and numbers have to balance well and add up, otherwise don't waste your time trying to push numbers or even attempting to look good when one or the other is missing - is there is no value to the customer or to Best Buy, why waste time preaching?

"Become a Master of big kid toys!"

Former Employee - Magnolia Home Theater Systems Designer in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Magnolia Home Theater Systems Designer in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best Buy has an excellent training program and makes sure that their salesman, service crews, and system designers are always in the know. And when one person feels a lack of confidence in their ability to answer a question there is always an associate a text or walkie away who has an answer. Best Buy’s network of knowledge is vast and stores and teams are never afraid to talk to each other.
    The culture of the company is amazing. Always promoting teamwork and a family environment from one team member to another. Best Buy also, while still goal oriented for salesmen, is not a psycho stickler. This shows in the way a sales associate is taught to sell. Where higher dollar amounts are not always the way and that sometimes even Best Buy itself isn’t the way. But we always say yes and we always help the greatest ability we can.
    Best Buy is also excellent in the way that it promotes from within. Even a part time or seasonal associate can look forward with comfort, that if they want, promotions and pathways to either corporate or leadership exist for them.
    I loved my years at Best Buy and absolutely recommend them.

Cons

While teamwork is often emphasized as a must, there are some disjointed system and definite disconnects in communication. A major example of this would be between different sects if the company such as store associates and Geek Squad installers. Best Buy store associates will sell new home theater systems or home computer setups and accompany them with Geek Squad installation. Geek Squad will show up at the home blind being oven nothing but notes about the sale and what their meant to install. For this example well go with install and mount a new tv. The store associate eagerly sells this bundle but has never seen the clients home ore where they intend to mount. So now Geek Squad is asked to mount over a fireplace and their is no power and no suitable studs to mount that new tv. So no the client is disappointed and Geek Squad is out in an awkward situation that will lead to rebuttals at the store. It’s a struggle to have all the many groups that run Best Buy firing on the same cylinders. But with any major group problems are expected and like many other company’s this issues are addressed and handled to the best of Best Buy’s ability.

Advice to Management

Work on the communication of your crews. For Managers of Geek Squad to Managers if store teams and Magnolia. You need to share with each other and with your respective teams the expectations and limitations of your own team. This will prevent strife between your employees and the endless frustration you handle on a daily basis made by the lack of communication or understanding in what one another has to sell or do.
    ESPECIALLY Magnolia and Geek Squad. Geek Squad needs more training on advanced Magnolia products so they are more comfortable installing it and less prone to advise different products or install incorrectly. And Magnolia salesman need to be allowed more lenience with selling non Mag product. Sometimes it is GOOD to sell mainstream accessories with the high end goodies.

5. "BBY HQ Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive outlook, enterprise is more focused on customer, collaboration is improving, teams making better decisions for customer and business, more consistent and long term visions from leaders, team goals align with company strategy for short and long term. Campus amenities; there is a bank, atms, dry cleaning, cafeteria, coffee shop

Cons

Difficult to find meetings rooms during business hours 9-4, too heavily reliant on consultants and has outsourced most IT and engineering roles. IT and Security IT operate completely isolated from business causing many problems; impairing tools and business results. Have a problem with company provided computers/software? It’s normal to wait in a line of people with similar problems for hours only to additionally wait weeks to get your issue looked and get resolved. It’s common to have high turnover in some areas because lack of career opportunities for certain fields (not because the work isn’t needed) but because it’s already been given to consultants or lots of local companies pay more competitively for certain skills. These situations create talent chasms that are difficult to fill. Lack of telecommuting/flexible work schedule that many local companies offer.

6. "Best Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best Buy is a forward thinking company with fantastic leadership!
    They treat each one of their employees as they are a valued team member. They have taken care of each employee during all the disasters and hardships that have happened across the US and Puerto Rico.
    This is a company that continues to give back to its stakeholders, employees, and the community.
    It is an awesome feeling to be part of a company that continues strategically think about what the future holds.

Cons

There are not many downsides to working here.

7. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee values, culture, flexibility, and (let's be honest) discounts! I get a say on the initiatives I want to work on. I'm not micromanaged. I'm trusted to do my job.

Cons

Some discipline's career paths are more well defined than others.

Advice to Management

- Define what it takes be successful, and when employees meet that criteria, reward them.
    - Create a culture where people pay attention in meetings, vs multi tasking. When I'm facilitating a meeting, I feel like I'm talking to myself.

8. "Truly the Best"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding leadership team! Clear vision and purpose. Lives the values.

Cons

Getting better at agility, but could take more risks and learn through controlled failure.

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for your brightest employees.

9. "Love Best Buy!!!!!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is definitely #1, but then everything fits under culture! Best Buy cares about its employees and it shows in benefits, pay, balance, etc. Many career opportunities - promoting from within and giving employees tools to get ready for that next job are huge!

Cons

I have no cons. I love Best Buy!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

10. "I've left and come back twice!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best Buy cares about their employees and their customers. For as big as they are, it often feels like a small company with it's focus on employees and not just profits. They are constantly trying to innovate and stay relevant. They do not take their success for granted. They reward the right behaviors and have awesome company values!

Cons

If you're at corporate, it can seem impossible trying to get things done with all the people who need to be involved and have a seat at the table. And if you are in the field, the hours and working with people all the time can be grueling.

Advice to Management

Keep putting your employees first and they will take care of our customers!

Showing 688 of 15,249 reviews